User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    A tighter tension or spring will have more stored potential energy from the shuttle making it deform.

Let's try another analogy, a bow. We have a weak, single piece wood bow with low tension string and a strong, composite bow with high tension string, now we have a teen boy and a strong man. The strong man can easily bend the weak bow back and stretch the string to its maximum but all that means is he is going to shoot to the maximum distance of the weak bow which is not very much. The teen boy could do the exact same and get the same distance. Now we take a strong bow with high tension string, the teen boy cannot bend this bow to the maximum and therefore he would get more distance from the weak bow but.... the strong man can bend the bow and get twice the distance he can from the weak bow. This analogy is even better than any other one (it's also one I've used before) because it's a system of bow plus string, just like our rackets and string.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blitzzards View Post
    You are correct on most parts. Although one thing which I notice that is constantly being left out is the fact that the racquet shaft also flexes along with the string bed.

Following your bow analogy, when you pull back on the bow, not only will the string bend but so does the ends of the bow. Potential energy is also stored in these parts and this will contribute to the snap back of the bow and string in launching the arrow.
    I touched on it but didn't go into detail because this particular discussion was on the string only. There is a large multipage discussion on racket flex and string tension and how they work together in another thread. The only reason I got involved in this particular discussion was the poor information being provided.
    Last edited by druss; 04-19-2011 at 09:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default String tension: power V control

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    I'm sorry but first the sentence is hard to understand but you seem to be saying that lower tension produces more power which is incorrect.

Higher tensions have the potential to create more power but you need to have the swing speed to take advantage of it.
    Only the very top players manage to generate great power from highly tensioned strings. It is true to say that for most players tensions in the lower ranges 20lb - 24lbs will find that they can obtain much more power in their smashes than if the racket were strung at say 26lbs - 30lbs. Conversely, a high tension will allow a player to have much more control over the shuttle, for example when playing tight drop shots at the net as a lower tension will allow the shuttle to bounce off the strings with much less control. You cannot geneneralise too much about what playability you will get as you also need to factor into account the player's ability, the type of racquet frame used and the type of string used.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Recommended String and String Tension for Li Ning Lin Dan Woods N90-2

what string and string tension would u recommend for me? i am looking for power and i want my smashes to be harder

I have my n90 II strung with nbg 98 (12 kg/(pi*0.66˛ mm˛)), and I get a lots of power from it (and the control at this tension is good aswell). But I have a strong arm and a very fast swing speed and a good smash technique^^

When you are more a beginner or a intermediate, try a lower tension (10-11 kg) but the control of this string is at low tension very poor but nice power^^.

--------
    When i first changed to high tension from 11 kg to 13 kg I thought wtf where is my power.... But I did not want to cut the string so I played with it in the workouts. Fist I recognized that I have sometimes lot of power and some times no power also I hit approximately at same power and swing speed. After about 4 weeks playing I could create nearly every-time a powerful shot.
    In this 4 weeks the tension dropped a little, but the main thing what changed was may timing, I was able to hit the smaller sweet spot more accurate.
    In my opinion the most imported subject for generating power at high tension is being able to hit the shuttle with at the smaller sweet spot. At high tension you can do a full-court clear just with finger power, when you have the right hitting point.
    May smashes are a lot more powerful at high tension(13.5 kg bg 65/ 12 kg nbg 98), than at lower tension (10-12 kg bg 65).

4. Likes Amber7 liked this post
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by chouchouftw View Post
    what string and string tension would u recommend for me? i am looking for power and i want my smashes to be harder
    hello there,

-im from M'sia. im using same racket as u. Li Ning Woods N90-2.
    -use yonex bg65 string with 26lbs of tension in the 1st week i bought it.
    -change to yonex nbg 98 with 28lbs of tension after that.

now have 2 of li ning woods N90-2:
    -1st racket (same racket as mention above) - now using yonex nbg 98 with 30lbs string
    - i use it when playing single.
    -2nd racket - yonex nbg 98 with 32lbs - when playing double.

-its an attacking racket. use it if u that kind of player.
    -if u using 29lbs-32lbs of tension. u MUST change the string every 3 month!
    -what the best about this racket is, u will feel u didnt put enough power in ur smashes, ''i can smashes harder!'' while in the mean time the opponent already have trouble to return the smashes,

this is not a suggestion. its a review. hope it'll help. XD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by greblu View Post
    I have my n90 II strung with nbg 98 (12 kg/(pi*0.66˛ mm˛)), and I get a lots of power from it (and the control at this tension is good aswell). But I have a strong arm and a very fast swing speed and a good smash technique^^

When you are more a beginner or a intermediate, try a lower tension (10-11 kg) but the control of this string is at low tension very poor but nice power^^.

--------
    When i first changed to high tension from 11 kg to 13 kg I thought wtf where is my power.... But I did not want to cut the string so I played with it in the workouts. Fist I recognized that I have sometimes lot of power and some times no power also I hit approximately at same power and swing speed. After about 4 weeks playing I could create nearly every-time a powerful shot.
    In this 4 weeks the tension dropped a little, but the main thing what changed was may timing, I was able to hit the smaller sweet spot more accurate.
    In my opinion the most imported subject for generating power at high tension is being able to hit the shuttle with at the smaller sweet spot. At high tension you can do a full-court clear just with finger power, when you have the right hitting point.
    May smashes are a lot more powerful at high tension(13.5 kg bg 65/ 12 kg nbg 98), than at lower tension (10-12 kg bg 65).
    jyeah.. i feel the same. XD

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

So does anyone have an opinion on the original thread? I am also looking for advice on re-stringing my N90 II and looking for a place to start. I play regularly, usually doubles but singles sometimes as well. Used to 24 lbs, just tried AP62 string and I liked it but I think it was under-strung so didn't get a good idea. It was recommended I use a 4 knot pattern(?) on this racket too. Please don't start more dead end arguments

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2