User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maxp74 View Post
    My 2 cents...

Like both strings and they are in many ways about the same. NBG98 is a little bit more slippery and at times it can give a dead feeling. Don't know why. My experience is also that NBG98 looses tension pretty quick compared to most other strings. It also needs a little more tension to deliver its best. Personaly i prefer to play with about 24 lbs (in an Arc10). That is to low for NBG98. It gets really bouncy and dull. I'd say you need at least 26 lbs to get the best out of NBG98.

As for BG66UM i have only used one set so far. It did hold tension better than NBG98 and it is not slippery. I prefer it over the NBG98 so far. Plays really well at 24 lbs. Only question is durability which remains unanswered since one set of strings is not enough to draw any conclusions.
    Hmmm, ...guess I must at least give it a try and see for myself. Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by druss View Post
    Sorry, I must have gotten confused by your original post....

I've never tried the maxima but the sharp to me feels harder at the same tension than the ultimax.
    ...and comparing Ultimax to NBG 98? What say you?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Petah View Post
    I personally prefer the NBG98 over the BG66UM. The 98s seems to have more “life” when strung at the same tension. When I first tried the 66UM, I had a hard time getting any shuttle speed off clears and smashes whereas I would have no problems with the 98 at the same tension. But with the tension of the 66UM dropping (been 2 weeks now), I can get some decent speed off clears but still a bit lacking in smashes. Now I have to find a way to love this 66UM stuff or sell the reel off and buy a reel of 98s!
    Not to be redundant...which last longer and which holds tension beter between BG66 UM and NBG98? Thanks very much.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally strung my racquets with BG66UM...should be able to discern between NBG98 when I hit the courts, both NBG98 and BG66UM are strung at 28/30 with 2 of my SiW35, so should be pretty exciting. I just hope it is much much more durable than BG66 original.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I tried two sets of BG66UM, I failed the first set and I have quite a few tiny ripped coating randomly on the stringbed on the second set. I strung it on 26x28 lbs (pre-tension 10%) with tennishead 2086. I had strung few sets of NBG98, I can say there may be one tiny ripped coating. I don't know whether I set the fixed clamp just not tight enough. If I set the clamp too tight, the string may be crushed. If I set the clamp not enough, the string will slide through the clamps. At high tension, the string is easily ripped by sharp edge of tools or even finger nail. So I feel not confident to do the third set.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by RSLvictorSOTX View Post
    Not to be redundant...which last longer and which holds tension beter between BG66 UM and NBG98? Thanks very much.
    I can't be certain yet as i have only had the BG66UM for around 3 weeks (it was also my first set). However, unlike some have reported, i found the NBG98 were not bad in retaining it's tension. I think the 2 strings are comparable in that department.

On another note, the BG66UM that i have on my racket is getting "more life" as time goes on. I think this string reqiures lower tension that the NBG98 to get the same effects.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I can't be certain yet as i have only had the BG66UM for around 3 weeks (it was also my first set). However, unlike some have reported, i found the NBG98 were not bad in retaining it's tension. I think the 2 strings are comparable in that department.

On another note, the BG66UM that i have on my racket is getting "more life" as time goes on. I think this string reqiures lower tension that the NBG98 to get the same effects.
    I hope they are at least comparable...but of course I want it to be superior, otherwise what's the point for the switch? Personally, holding tension is more important than durability, in my opinion.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Finally had a go at it for 4 hours (using 2 SiW35 at 28/30 tension). Overall, NBG98 is more durable and repulsive. BG66 Ultimax is great all around. Good control (net shots), accurate, and very strong in smashes (which makes me miss my Z-Slash for the sole purpose of smashing alone.).

At the 3rd hour the Ultimax broke, which is fine by me considering I gave it a lot of smashing. The regular BG66 last me about 15 to 30 minutes at 28/30 tension.

Switch? Hmmm, for the time being I've decided to keep on using both NBG98 and Ultimax for all my paired racquets until I log more court hours to make a proper assessment.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, i have now played with the BG66UM for 3 weeks and i can give it an honest review. In terms of repulsion, it's less than the NBG98 but i wouldn't say by much. However, the BG66UM has more net play control as the bird seems to jump off the face of the NBG98, harder to control but if you can control it, the NBG98 IMO is a better string since it offers more power. For me, i find it's a matter of getting used to the NBG98 at the net and it's controllable so that is my go to string. Infact, i have already sold off my reel of BG66UM and will buy a reel of NBG98.

Things worth noting: in my experience, the BG66UM requires a lower tension than the NBG98 to get similar performance. The NBG98 also retained tension better than the BG66UM. Hope this will help people when choosing a string. =)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cycilver View Post
    haha i find the opposite to be true. for me i find nbg98 to be very soft and spongy, very repulsive though. the bg66um on initial testing has a much harder feeling. both strung at 25lbs. but this my personal opinion and i dont mean to disrespect woozy
    i second that! I personally vote the Ultimax

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

OK, i have now played with the BG66UM for 3 weeks and i can give it an honest review. In terms of repulsion, it's less than the NBG98 but i wouldn't say by much. However, the BG66UM has more net play control as the bird seems to jump off the face of the NBG98, harder to control but if you can control it, the NBG98 IMO is a better string since it offers more power. For me, i find it's a matter of getting used to the NBG98 at the net and it's controllable so that is my go to string. Infact, i have already sold off my reel of BG66UM and will buy a reel of NBG98.

Things worth noting: in my experience, the BG66UM requires a lower tension than the NBG98 to get similar performance. The NBG98 also retained tension better than the BG66UM. Hope this will help people when choosing a string. =)
    I agree on your review. I have been using BG66UM for 2 months. The control is good but the replusion is less than NBG98. My opponents really feel the difference on the speed and power of my smash. In addition, it does not last long. BG66UM breaks every week (I played 5 times x 2 hrs each session). NBG99 last 2-3 weeks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i play badminton 8 hours a week
    for me nbg 98 doesnt lose tension very fast, its been 4 months and I only lost 2-3 pounds in 4 months
    very repulsive(like VERY!) but less feel than the nbg 95, although there is little difference in control IMO
    95 and 98 need higher tension to get the nice sound , but you also need good swing technique and speed or you're just wasting time and money
    string at 27lbs voltric zforce
    never tried ultimax but the one person I know says he likes the power and sound

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

after playing with bg66um exclusively for the last little while, i have found my go to string. i like the hard feeling it gives and at 25lbs is super repulsive for me. tension does drop a bit but then stabilizes relatively well. sadly i broke my last set of bg66um so i'll be using ashaway zymax65 for a little bit.

also, bg66um is loud XD

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Based on my experience and many comments at other threads, one of the main disadvantage of BG66U is that it loses its tension quite fast.. maybe around 2 weeks and you will feel the difference. This is the reason why I am looking to try new string and NBG98 is one of my choice... But NBG98 doesn't come in many colour choices, which is a let down

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have played both NBG98 and BG66UM (JP Strings) using the same racket.
    NBG98 has better durability and power (good for offensive play), but slippery.
    BG66UM has excellent feel and control, but durability is the worst in Yonex string lineup.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what to you think, how would bg66 ultimax be on VTZF on 27lbs?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i see that a lot of guys have a problem with durability with bg66um. but it's only 0.01 mm thinner than nbg98. it shouldn't be a big problem. if u know how to string, bg66um on 12,5kg (28lbs) should last you a few weeks. also the CS carbon nanotube on nbg98 makes the string very slippery that's not good. nbg98 has a high repulsion but bg66um has excellent control AND repulsion.
    everyone has his own choice but mine is BG66UM

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast