Yonex NBG98 vs BG66 Ultimax?

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by RSLvictorSOTX, Apr 19, 2011.

1. RSLvictorSOTX

RSLvictorSOTX Regular Member

I have been using NBG 98 for a few months now and I liked it a lot. Recently, with lots of people claiming BG66 UM's playing properties...I kind of wonder what is the biggest variance in playability? Except for a slightly thinner gauge that is pretty obvious. Many thanks in advance.

2. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Personally I like the NBG98 more than the BG66UM... It depends on on your play style I think... I prefer the NBG98 for the feel... Much harder than the BG66UM...

As a aggressive player, the NBG98 is perfect for me!

3. cycilver

cycilver Regular Member

Student
    haha i find the opposite to be true. for me i find nbg98 to be very soft and spongy, very repulsive though. the bg66um on initial testing has a much harder feeling. both strung at 25lbs. but this my personal opinion and i dont mean to disrespect woozy :p

4. RSLvictorSOTX

Oh my, so I guess I just have to try for myself.

I normally string most of my racquets at 28/30 either with NBG98, BG66 or BG68TI; never tried BG66UM but I am really interested. However, somehow got put-off by my experience with BG66 because it breaks easy--same deal with BG66UM or is it much much tougher?

Meanwhile, I've strung my Arc ZS with BG68 Ti at 26/28 and still think it has a much harder feel than my SiW35 at 28/30.

Thanks.

5. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

Well I'm a noob in stringing... So maybe I messed up the string job on BG66UM.... I will try them again...

6. RSLvictorSOTX

Sorry, I meant: I've strung my Arc ZS with BG68 Ti at 26/28 and still think it has a much harder feel than my SiW35 with NBG98 at 28/30 (plainly referring to stringbed and of course string feel.).

7. Petah

Petah Regular Member

I personally prefer the NBG98 over the BG66UM. The 98s seems to have more “life” when strung at the same tension. When I first tried the 66UM, I had a hard time getting any shuttle speed off clears and smashes whereas I would have no problems with the 98 at the same tension. But with the tension of the 66UM dropping (been 2 weeks now), I can get some decent speed off clears but still a bit lacking in smashes. Now I have to find a way to love this 66UM stuff or sell the reel off and buy a reel of 98s!

8. RSLvictorSOTX

Thanks for sharing your personal experience. Fully noted with thanks.

9. druss

druss Regular Member

I was a 98 user before trying the 66UM. I personally prefer the 66UM as I've never been a big fan of the coating on the NBG series. I think that's what's making the big difference for most people.

10. Deathblader

Deathblader Regular Member

Student/Lifeguard/Athlete
    I would prefer the NBG 98 because its slightly more durable than the BG66 UM, the Nanogy 98 also has good repulsion, I have a Z-Slash strung with the NBG 98 and a VOltric 80 with the BG 66 UM, I don't think there is much difference. :)

11. hop-step

hop-step Regular Member

Haven't tested the BG66UM yet but repulsion and durability are my priorities for string.

btw, which will you pick for the main Voltric 80 or Arc Z slash ?

12. Deathblader

Deathblader Regular Member

Student/Lifeguard/Athlete
    I prefer using the Voltric because I smash a LOT and the 80 gives me the speed, control and power of an attacking player.

13. Petah

Petah Regular Member

For all those that loves the BG66UM, my reel is for sale! Only strung one racket with it! Willing to ship to it anywhere in Canada! =)

14. RSLvictorSOTX

Hi, you mentioned about coating regarding NBG98 (that's not really an issue for me...), what I really wanted to know is the difference between: BG66 Ultimax, Maxima and Sharp (I've used a lot of plain BG66 before and while I like it, it's just not durable enough...)?

Thanks.

15. RSLvictorSOTX

...yet to try a Voltric 80, so no idea until I got to play with one. Would you say strings' playability-wise, they're relatively pretty even?

Thanks.

16. druss

druss Regular Member

Sorry, I must have gotten confused by your original post.... :p

I've never tried the maxima but the sharp to me feels harder at the same tension than the ultimax.

17. maxp74

maxp74 Regular Member

Architect
    My 2 cents...

Like both strings and they are in many ways about the same. NBG98 is a little bit more slippery and at times it can give a dead feeling. Don't know why. My experience is also that NBG98 looses tension pretty quick compared to most other strings. It also needs a little more tension to deliver its best. Personaly i prefer to play with about 24 lbs (in an Arc10). That is to low for NBG98. It gets really bouncy and dull. I'd say you need at least 26 lbs to get the best out of NBG98.

As for BG66UM i have only used one set so far. It did hold tension better than NBG98 and it is not slippery. I prefer it over the NBG98 so far. Plays really well at 24 lbs. Only question is durability which remains unanswered since one set of strings is not enough to draw any conclusions.

18. RSLvictorSOTX

Hmmm, ...guess I must at least give it a try and see for myself. Thanks.

19. RSLvictorSOTX

...and comparing Ultimax to NBG 98? What say you?

20. RSLvictorSOTX

Not to be redundant...which last longer and which holds tension beter between BG66 UM and NBG98? Thanks very much.