Satellite tv coverage/coverage in other countries

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Brett, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Brett

Brett Regular Member

The Canadian posters, a few others and I have been lamenting, for some time now, the lack of any badminton coverage at all on television in North America. That brings to mind a possibility - does anyone know if badminton coverage might be available from one of the European or southeast Asian countries' stations, via satellite tv or DSS? I have a friend who has a completely monstrous and ridiculous home entertainment system, including a DSS satellite dish that receives several hundred channels from all over the world (it seems like he has channels specially devoted to subjects as narrow as Bulgarian stamp collecting). If I could find the right channel and a programming guide to it, I could probably persuade my friend to program his VCR to tape badminton at 3:30 a.m.

Anyone else try this?

Could those of you who can receive badminton coverage on tv let me know their country and city, as well as station names and numbers that broadcast badminton (and website that lists the program schedule)? Do any of these stations have a regularly scheduled badminton show (i.e. daily, weekly, etc...)? I will then compare that information to my friend's list of channels and see if I can get a tape or two.

Thanks.

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    Re: Satellite tv coverage/coverage in other countr

Brett,

i'd really like to know what your friend's setup is like.

i thought about that (satelite dish) a bit ago. and actually went and dig for information on it. so the result of my research was that, it will take a very big dish (meters in diameter) to point to any SE Asia satellite and on top of that, one needs to be in the west coast.

yeah, i was that desperate. heck, i will do <b>anything</b> to get live badminton coverage here. :)

with so many immigrants from HK and other SE Asia country, how's the HK TV coverage in Canada? i thought Canada get TVB and channels like that?

3. dave

dave Guest

I live in England and the coverage on Badminton is non-existence on national TV.
    So much for the home of Badminton!

4. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg

Try to find out some details of the danish-tv, they always show games of big tournaments live.I fortunately live near denmark and receive their channels by cable.I'll try what I can do for satellite owners.I'll post it here.If you want send me your e-mail.

--olli

5. olli

olli Regular Member

medicine
    northern germany, in beautiful but rainy hamburg
    my is o.ha@gmx.de

:-o

6. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Yeah, but it's honestly nothing really significant.
    Nothing like sports.
    We do get the occassional coverage on the Chinese news though!

but sad to say it's a 1min blurb at most.

:eek:

7. viver

viver Regular Member

Here in BC, Canada, you need a decoder (descrambler??) to be able to watch the Chinese channel. The only thing they broadcast live is the daily news I believe. Other than that some fund raising events are also broadcasted live. But if they broadcasted badminton not live would be fantastic and I would subscribed their channel. But I saw about 10 mins top level badminton here accidentaly on the multicultural channel - negaresh time !!?
    I read a post somewhere mentioning that if you have a satelite dish able to pick up ESPN signals in the Pacific you should be able to to watch badminton. There are relay satelites (I don't really know what that means) where you can get the signals from. Same way some guys get European football here in Canada directly from European stations.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

here in SF Bay Area, there is an international channel that broadcasts selected programs from different countries. once they were broadcasting CCTV News (Chinese TV station) and they showed around 10 secs of footage of the Chinese badminton national training center.

ahh...... that was a special day indeed. :)

9. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

oh, my other thought was:

i can set up a computer back at my parents' home in HK. put a real-time mpeg encoder in there. and then put it on the net via cable modem. i can then remote control the computer via the net, and stream the video back here on my computer.

kwun

10. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!

i wish i get badminton coverage! i have never seen badminton on tv in my life!

11. viver

viver Regular Member

Hey Kwun, that's worth trying. If you succeed remember stream the video to us, your faithfull supporters!! :))

12. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Hmm... interesting... but what if the computer crashes? :eek:
    I dunno, sounds like a reallly cool, idea, but really risky.

13. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

call mom and have her hit the reset switch? :)

14. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Works for me my friend. :)
    Oh yeah, check your email.
    I sent you the info that you wanted.

15. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor

got it, thanks. i will add it tomorrow. just spent 16 hours at work today. need some sleep...

good night.

16. Kelvin

Kelvin Regular Member

Student

Wow!
    Good night my friend.
    Have a good sleep. :)

17. Marcel

Marcel Guest

Here in the Netherlands (surrounded by England, Germany and Denmark for gods sake) the coverage is very VERY poor! Even since Mia Audina went dutch the coverage is still below acceptable levels!

Even a dumb sport, in my opion, like chess gets more coverage! :( :(

18. Brett

Brett Regular Member

Marcel, I have friends who live in Amsterdam who I visited almost exactly a year ago. I was flipping through Dutch tv, when I caught coverage of a major badminton tournament. However, there were only a few clips on the sports section of a news program and it ended very quickly. That fifteen seconds of badminton is the only badminton on tv I have seen since I lived in England in the early 1980's.

Actually, that's not entirely true - there is an anti-tobacco commercial on recently showing a kid and his dad playing badminton in the backyard, health and happy after the father has quit smoking. The sad part is that it grotesquely mocks the sport, as the level of play resembles that of a pair of very ancient old ladies trying to play catch with soap bubbles without letting any of the bubbles break.

19. mark

mark Guest

In England we only get coverage of badminton on sky sports 2 when the All-England Badminton Championships are on. It is usually cut down a lot but better than nothing. Unfortunately you will have to wait till next year to see it!

I suggest you try the BA of E web site at www.baofe.co.uk. You can buy videos of All England Finals for the past four years which are well worth there weight in gold!

20. Hoang Nguyen

Hoang Nguyen Guest

Don't feel bad! badminton is a complex sport. it is as hard as reading the bible. but when you understand and good at it, it is definitely an addiction. I can feel the hunger for badminton sometimes. i have to play at least 3 times a week or i can't sleep well. the game has been in my life since age of 10. I am now 28. that's almost 20 years being married to Badminton.