User Tag List

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast

Thread: Liew Daren

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think he should play about 12-18 tournaments a year. If he still can't make it, then too bad, can't blame anyone. He has all the skills already. It is up to him to learn and own up to go to the next level. Can't blame much on coaches and spoon feed him.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually I think Darren's quality is enough for what MAS need at the moment. MAS don't need just one world number 1 player like LCW but many players like Darren Liew who can reach quarter finals of SS tournaments on regular basis. If I was a MAS supporter I want my country to have 2-3 players like Darren Liew so that don't need to rely on just world number 1 player to reach semis/finals in every tournament. If 2-3 players reach quarters of SS tournaments is better than just one player reach semis/finals each time.

Having a world number 1 player is a bonus, but if don't have world number 1 status , it is fine too. What MAS need is players like Darren Liew in quantity. Having just one player like LD/LCW/TH/PG can sometimes make a country too dependent on their star player to deliver each time.

Look at JPN/KOR. They don't have world number 1 player at their disposal, but they have Tago/Ueda/Sasaki, LHI/SWH/PSH who can all play at the same level and cause upset to players like TH/PG/LD/LCW all the time. If I was neutral fan, I would support JPN/KOR rather than MAS/INA.

If you can have both quality and quantity like CHN does, of course it's better. But if you don't have both quality and quantity players at your disposal, it's better to have quantity and 'decent quality' like KOR/JPN does.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by julianng View Post
    Actually I think Darren's quality is enough for what MAS need at the moment. MAS don't need just one world number 1 player like LCW but many players like Darren Liew who can reach quarter finals of SS tournaments on regular basis. If I was a MAS supporter I want my country to have 2-3 players like Darren Liew so that don't need to rely on just world number 1 player to reach semis/finals in every tournament. If 2-3 players reach quarters of SS tournaments is better than just one player reach semis/finals each time.

Having a world number 1 player is a bonus, but if don't have world number 1 status , it is fine too. What MAS need is players like Darren Liew in quantity. Having just one player like LD/LCW/TH/PG can sometimes make a country too dependent on their star player to deliver each time.

Look at JPN/KOR. They don't have world number 1 player at their disposal, but they have Tago/Ueda/Sasaki, LHI/SWH/PSH who can all play at the same level and cause upset to players like TH/PG/LD/LCW all the time. If I was neutral fan, I would support JPN/KOR rather than MAS/INA.

If you can have both quality and quantity like CHN does, of course it's better. But if you don't have both quality and quantity players at your disposal, it's better to have quantity and 'decent quality' like KOR/JPN does.
    to compar DL to sasaki or tago will be far too much for him DL is a player who never get into semi finals. i wonder if that the quality u talking about

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ibelieveindevil View Post
    to compar DL to sasaki or tago will be far too much for him DL is a player who never get into semi finals. i wonder if that the quality u talking about
    Yeah he could get into semi final of a major tournament with a bit more improvement in his game. Not saying he can reach quarter finals that easily too, but he is formidable and can reach the quarter finals of a tournament when he is in good form without any fluke or overachievement on his part.

But my point was MAS supporters shouldn't expect to have another world number 1 at their disposal, rather a quarter final kind of player will suffice for now.
    Last edited by julianng; 06-02-2012 at 05:35 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yeah he could get into semi final of a major tournament with a bit more improvement in his game. Not saying he can reach quarter finals that easily too, but he is formidable and can reach the quarter finals of a tournament when he is in good form without any fluke or overachievement on his part.

But my point was MAS supporters shouldn't expect to have another world number 1 at their disposal, rather a quarter final kind of player will suffice for now.
    i highly doubt th fact that he can reah quarter finals without over performing.
    look at the chart again. there is only 3 times he manage to get into quarter finals, and twice they are GPG tournament. in fact the only other time is SSP all england. i am very conviced that he is just a second string player. definately not world class, and clearly not first class either.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ibelieveindevil , that's what I'm saying, he is definitely not a world top 10 player. But he can be world top 16 if he wants to. The players he loses to are usually only top 10 players like LD, TH, LHI, PG etc. You really didn't understand a word I said that MAS don't need just one player who is world number 1 but many players who are world top 16, do you ?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ibelieveindevil , that's what I'm saying, he is definitely not a world top 10 player. But he can be world top 16 if he wants to. The players he loses to are usually only top 10 players like LD, TH, LHI, PG etc. You really didn't understand a word I said that MAS don't need just one player who is world number 1 but many players who are world top 16, do you ?
    here is the thing, i doubt he is top 16. he only manage to get once in his life a quarter finals in the ssP. once in his life. thats no where call top 16. he cant perform in SSP and SS, and have some difficulties in GPG as well. he is definately, by any standard, not top 16 in the world.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

HKV just took his revenge on Daren. H2H 1-1 now. Not consistent, still.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Arrow PAW #166 2012 Indonesia Open SS Premier (Round 1)

Quote Originally Posted by undeadshot View Post
    HKV just took his revenge on Daren. H2H 1-1 now. Not consistent, still.
    At our BC PAW Game, I PAWed for Daren, but he proved me wrong.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i think it's time for him to win his 1st gp or gp gold tournament by this year... at least 1 title to his name to establish himself... at the same time he needs to keep on consistent in ss tournaments if he wants to stay a capable Malaysian no2... if not, i think it will only in the matter of time b4 the youngsters like iskandar, zulfadhli, or misbun ramdan take his place... besides, chong wei feng also progessing well eventhough he's not that young anymore...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Awe-inspiring

Darren mentioned he was mesmerized by his senior LCW in the moment of truth match at the olympics final. Aaw.. I hope he is awe-inspired now to kick a**. Jia you... oops, Malaysia Boleh! (the positive usage la..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Pakito View Post
    Darren mentioned he was mesmerized by his senior LCW in the moment of truth match at the olympics final. Aaw.. I hope he is awe-inspired now to kick a**. Jia you... oops, Malaysia Boleh! (the positive usage la..)
    Was he there watching it live? I know he and CKB were the final two picked to train with LCW in London after Bath.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LDR has to get himself into WR top 15 by 2013, top 10 before 2015 and top 8 before 2016 Olympic in Rio....Can he do it ??

Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Correction :

LDR has to get himself into WR top 15 by 2013, top 10 before 2015 and top 2 during 2016 Olympic in Rio so that he will be in opposite half of LCW....Can he do it ??

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

no,he wont make it.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by extremenanopowe View Post
    I think he should play about 12-18 tournaments a year. If he still can't make it, then too bad, can't blame anyone. He has all the skills already. It is up to him to learn and own up to go to the next level. Can't blame much on coaches and spoon feed him.
    I think he lacks the X-Factor

Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Not impossible. Darren should look to Hendrawan as an example.

Hendrawan was not near the top of the Indonesian team. Then suddenly 1997/8, Hendrawan started putting in some great performances eventually winning the World Championships. I think Hendrawan was near his mid20's in 1997. I saw Hendrawan play in 1998 Thomas Cup as the second singles and thinking he was really strong.

I've only seen Darren play once but IMO, his results don't reflect his ability. He can do better. Perhaps more work on thinking and mental aspects of the game.

Page 15 of 31 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 ... LastLast