User Tag List

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast

Thread: Liew Daren

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Name:  27044599.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  53.8 KB

liew daren celebration style....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wow, you freeze the action,lol.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Congratulations Daren!

Quote Originally Posted by yayachico View Post
    congrats, DL!!! What a superb performance.. He made sure that the podium is represented by a malaysian after LCW decided to skip this tournament.. Hope he can do well from now on and keep improving so that he will be a threat in ms after LCW retires...
    I saw his interview after the prize presentation, maybe he should bring a translator next time as he doesn't have a clue on what the interviewer asked. He keep nodding and i thought he understood but in actual fact, he don't.. poor guy, doesnt get to explain how happy he is when he got interviewed. the interviewer had to answer to his own question, that was a funny scene...
    Well, DL has to learn how to deal with all this interviews n press from now as he will have the chance to stand on the podium again and again.. Once again, congratulation!!!

I saw that attempt at an interview too and I think it was the interviewer's fault. Surely Daren knows some English to answer simple questions. After his victory while he was packing his stuff at the sidelines, a French official came up to him and spoke briefly to him and Daren nodded his head and acknowledged what that official was telling him. It appeared the official was telling him about the prize-giving ceremony. The official could not have been speaking French, Malay or Chinese with Daren.

Why I say it was the interviewer's fault is that the interviewer asked the question in English first and followed up immediately with the French translation of his question. He then directed the microphone to Daren for a response. This clearly confused Daren as Daren either thought the interviewer expected him to answer the French question, or more likely, the French translation of the question made Daren forget what the question was or made him lose his train of thought in formulating his response. This is easy to do when the interviewee is not fluent in the language he is trying to answer in.

I think the interviewer should have first asked the question in French and then translated the question to English for Daren. This way, immediately preceding his answer, Daren would have heard the English question. This would have helped a lot for someone who in the first place was not fluent in English.

Anyway, CONGRATULATIONS to Daren and I hope this motivates him to do even better. He can play a few more years after both Lin Dan and Lee Chong Wei retire. So when the two greatest male singles badminton players the world has ever seen retire, the field will be wide open for the race to Olympic gold. Whether it is 2016 or 2020, Daren has a chance. His chances might actually be better in 2020 because LD and LCW will definitely not be there. If LD and LCW do not compete in Rio de Janeiro, then Daren will have two decent opportunities to win Olympic glory.

He will have to be focused and train like he has never trained before and sacrifice like he has never sacrificed before. Avoid all worldly temptations for the next eight years and Daren may very well be Malaysia's first Olympic champion ... and be living on easy street after that.

Good luck Daren!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Congratulation Daren, do work hard to keep it up
    It has been a long while since a Malaysian other than LCW to win a superseries MS. Last being Hafiz Hashim in 2003 AE if I'm not wrong?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ah_lim View Post
    Congratulation Daren, do work hard to keep it up
    It has been a long while since a Malaysian other than LCW to win a superseries MS. Last being Hafiz Hashim in 2003 AE if I'm not wrong?
    Super Series started in 2007, so he is really the only other MS player who has won Super Series.

List of Malaysians who have won Super Series:
    Lee Chong Wei (MS)
    Koo Kien Keat/Tan Boon Heong (MD)
    Wong Mew Choo (WS)
    Chin Eei Hui/Wong Pei Tty (WD)
    Mohd Fairuzizuan Mohd Tazari/Mohd Zakry Abdul Latif (MD)
    Chan Peng Soon/Goh Liu Ying (XD)
    Liew Daren (MS)

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Like I said before, Darren has the 'goods' to deliver but it's just that there seems to be something else holding him back for instance, 'the hunger to win'. I really glad that another 'yellow shirt' player besides LCW got to the podium and although it's only the French Open winner, I am still glad. Good to know even something good can come out of 'directionless management'. However, no time to bask in your glory. Continue back training with LCW more at home to hone your skills. I especially like his crosscourt overhead smashes and also crosscourt overhead lobs that look like shooting lobs that are seldom used nowadays.

On the other hand, Axelsen plays better this time than when he is against LCW. Maybe he is not so much in awe of unheralded Darren? His game has more 'umph' when he plays his normal game.

Footnote: Does anyone notice that the final game umpire was a splitting image of Axelsen? And BCers have to carefully put Darren's initials as DL instead of LD.
    Last edited by Pakito; 10-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Pakito, Daren's official name Liew Daren. Its also on his Facebook and all official documents. Dunno why his name is different from other Msian chinese.

On another BCer comment on English, Daren can understand English. His facebook updates are mostly in English. Perhaps he found it hard to understand the accent of the French interviewer, I know I do.
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 10-29-2012 at 11:59 PM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

his name is liew daren
    that's insulting if he need to change his name to dl instead of ld because of someone.
    u can even call jesus in US.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think it's the misunderstanding that they interpret all Malaysian chinese will be called by their surnames first and hence the later part will be their official names ie lee and then chong wei, hence, liew and then daren. However no one calls Gade Peter.

As for the french interviewer, what was his question exactly? He was just making a statement that this is the 1st time Daren won at the French Open. So?
    Last edited by Pakito; 10-30-2012 at 12:27 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    his name is liew daren
    that's insulting if he need to change his name to dl instead of ld because of someone.
    u can even call jesus in US.
    So, for BC, we shall officially call him LD (MAS). As for the other one, you guys think of something.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

i 1st i tot his name is Liew Dar-Ren ... btw, he can speak in English.. i saw his interview in badminton world magazine where he answered the questions in English... i agree that the interviewer's accent makes it hard for him to understand the questions given to him...

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSmasherKing View Post
    i 1st i tot his name is Liew Dar-Ren ... btw, he can speak in English.. i saw his interview in badminton world magazine where he answered the questions in English... i agree that the interviewer's accent makes it hard for him to understand the questions given to him...
    Speaking of names, his Chinese characters are not on this thread title.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'll vouch that LD (MAS) speaks better english than LCW's maybe maybe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by nokh88 View Post
    Speaking of names, his Chinese characters are not on this thread title.
    dont me wrong bro... it's just what i think at 1st... now i know his real name is Liew Darren... anyway, the thread is about Liew Darren rite

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

LD (MAS) most definitely speaks better English than LD (CHN).

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hiyaa, just call him Daren, wouldnt mistaken . He has a bro or relative named Liew Gavin, same odd name format

And yes, Daren's English is better than Datuk and some of the other Msian players. He can straight answer in English, LCW,TBH will answer in malay. I think better than LCW but not as good as KKK
    Last edited by eaglehelang; 10-30-2012 at 01:05 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by eaglehelang View Post
    Hiyaa, just call him Daren, wouldnt mistaken . He has a bro or relative named Liew Gavin, same odd name format

And yes, Daren's English is better than Datuk and some of the other Msian players. He can straight answer in English, LCW,TBH will answer in malay. I think better than LCW but not as good as KKK
    There is no rule as to how you want to name your kids in Malaysia...just different from the traditional chinese naming system

Page 22 of 31 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 LastLast