Liew Daren

Discussion in 'Malaysia Professional Players' started by TheSmasherKing, Apr 21, 2011.

1. TheSmasherKing

TheSmasherKing Regular Member

Goverment officer
    hi ... i want to know more about liew darren... does anybody have any info about him? at 1st i tot his real name is darren liew... but i found out most of the newspapers call him liew darren... btw, i've seen him as the most consistent player in the elite squad compared to tan chun seang, chong wei feng, chan kwong beng... im impressed with his performance during his Indonesia gp gold semi final achievement... :) maybe he can become the new malaysian hero to replace lcw when he retires...

2. undeadshot

undeadshot Regular Member

His full name is Liew Daren, his name is joined together.
    His chinese name is Liu Guo Lun.

I agree that this is a good time to open a thread for him, after his exploits in the BAC. He is 24 this year, by no means young and most likely he will never be a successful player. However, he is a pretty decent compared to the others we have currently. Among all the backup players, he has performed the best internationally many times compared to the others. However, he tends to always lose in internal battles on the local circuit.

Saw him play once before against Dicky, he has good aggression but is pretty darn prone to unforced errors. He can go into a streak of unforced errors by smashing out, smashing into the net, lifting out the the sidelines and this can be really frustrating!

His big name victories :
    Boonsak Ponsana (Malaysian Open 2009, first round)
    P. Kashyap (Chinese Taipei Open, third round)
    Wang Zhengming (Denmark Open 2010, 2nd qualifying round)
    Dicky Palyama (Denmark Open 2010, 1st round)
    Wong Wing Ki (Badminton Asia Championships 2011, 2nd round)

And most recently lost to Du Pengyu in a very tight encounter of 16-21; 21-19; 19-21.

Anyway, I wish Liew Daren all the best.

#2 undeadshot, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011
  3. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    wow... boleh. keep the stamina and speed up. Play safe shots. ;) Don't anyhow shoot. ;)

4. undeadshot

Wow, that's like totally the opposite of his play. Not very agile around court, not known for stamina, playing high-risk shots which makes him inconsistent during the game. LOL

5. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    he's already 24? i tot he's only 20 - 21 yrs old... well, 24 years old is a bit late to achieve big thing in international stage since most of the chinese players started at the very young age and winning / perform well at the major tournament (chen jin 1st AE2008, wang zhengming 2nd bac 2010, chen long semi final AE 2011)... but hopefully there's still time to prove himself able to capture major tournament even in their 30's (poul erik hoyer larsen & fung permadi prove it already)... eventhough i never saw him playing, but from what i heard, he is the most consistent among the elite players based on his results in international stage...

anyway, the match against du pengyu sounds promising... it's a tough and good fight for him... who knows maybe he can become MAS no.2 behind LCW :) ... anyway, arif latif is another player to watch... he's got the talent but not the consistency ... he's still young if im not mistaken... good luck to both of them... :)

6. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    wah... sounds like he still needs to improve his game... a lots of things need to be done bro.. ...from what you've said, he is still far behind LCW & HAfiz HAshim.. hehehe

7. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Perhaps Liew Daren can emulate Wong Choong Hann

Perhaps Liew Daren can emulate Wong Choong Hann, who achieved much success at tournaments after the age of 24.

Last week, at the 2011 Australian Open GP Gold, WCH was even at the Mens Singles Final at the age of 34. ;););)

8. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    hehehe.. lets hope he can strive for excellent in near future... hopefully misbun can train him as well.. anyway, is there any other pics of liew darren... when i search for his photo, i only able to found this photo only... not from a nice angle.. hehehe...

liew darren.gif

9. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Wow,....just because he did slightly well in one tournament, he got his own thread, Hmmm,....... lets see how his progress after this...!!

10. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    hehehe... he did 1 better than others at BAC.. :p true, lets see his progress in 2011...

11. jimbo

jimbo Regular Member

I certainly hope this thread will last long... BOLEH?

12. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Me 2............hope can last long with many pages more...........Boleh...!!

13. undeadshot

Not only one I think... A few great tournaments for him would be:
    1) Indonesian GPG SF
    2) Denmark Open Super Series 2nd round

And this one, so three pretty good tournaments for him.

14. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

If these two also can consider good performances I am speechless..............I would say so far.....just one from him beside MO SS 2009.

In Ina Open, he only mananged to beat a Young player from INA, Hermansyah and Ramdan misbun to entered SF, lost to Alam Yunus in rubber games...........

Worse in Den SS, one win over DP in 1st round lost to HY in straight game in 2nd round.......

15. undeadshot

You have to remember that in Denmark SS, he defeated Wang Zhengming in the qualifying rounds and Dicky in the first round. Better than BAC in my opinion.
    In INA GPG, he didn't lose to Yunus, he defeated Yunus but lost to Hayom in the semi-final. Maybe this one not so good. I'm sure Denmark SS better than this BAC where he just beat Wong Wing Ki and lost to Du Pengyu in 3 games.

Know why I consider this good?

BECAUSE NO OTHER BACKUP PLAYER CAN DO THAT. LOL

Btw, must agree with you that Malaysia SS 2009 also considered a good performance. But Daren has been yoyo-ing a lot.

16. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Did he lost to Hayom not AY....?? my mistake, sorry !

17. undeadshot

Haha, no problem! He got thrashed by Hayom pretty badly in that SF so I might agree with you that that performance is still not very good...

Anyway, he might be an above average player if he sustains this performance, but don't expect Liew Daren to ever become a good or a successful player... too late for that!

He has two more consecutive tournaments to go, next week in India and in Malaysia GP Gold. My targets for him :
    India - Proceed to his 2nd only SS quarterfinal. Have to defeat Chan Yan Kit and take revenge on Hu Yun/defeat Yunus again.
    Malaysia GP Gold - Defeat Taufik Hidayat :eek:

18. jasonmarc

jasonmarc Regular Member

Lets follow his progress in coming India SS..........as for MO GP....too difficult for him to over come TH, maybe to steal a game is more realistic !! hahaha.

19. TheSmasherKing

Goverment officer
    i really like this phrase... "BECAUSE NO OTHER BACKUP PLAYER CAN DO THAT. LOL".. hehehe... he needs to be consistent though... whatever it is, du pengyu himself is not a great player from china... i think liew darren would be a good contender for MAS no 2 if he able to give a big fight against chen long or bao chunlai (considering that chen jin n lin dan are far ahead from him).. :)

20. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    [​IMG]

Here's another.

#20 Cheung, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011