Frame Repair for rackets?

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by chrisfong89, Apr 21, 2011.

1. chrisfong89

chrisfong89 Regular Member

Student
    Hi i'm sure a lot of you all have had cracked frames and broken rackets. But what i'm wondering is can the frames be fixed? Did a google search and came up with a few websites like these...

Code:
    http://www.thebadmintoncompany.co.uk/racket_repairs.htm
    http://www.racquetrepairs.co.uk/
    http://www.electre.co.uk/5.html
    I guess my question is... How good is the repair? Will the racket still feel the same?

2. druss

druss Regular Member

Not worth it in my opinion. The way carbon fiber is structured, like a crystal, is what give it the strength. The orientation of all the carbon molecules though tend to give it strength on only one axis which makes it weaker in other axis's. Once that bond in the crystal matrix is broken you can't get it back to anywhere near the strength just by melting more carbon fiber into the crack/break because the newly repaired area is not oriented in the right direction and you don't have every single carbon bond back like you do in the original.

For the cost these guys charge to fix it, I would put that money towards a new racket.

drag343 likes this.
  3. dsmbooster

dsmbooster Regular Member

financial analyst
    actually I just repair my racquet with carbon fiber sheet, same material as the original racquet, it can hold the tension as new, and balance too. if you spend sometime do it right, but the problem here is they sell carbon fiber in yard or meter, and the adhesive and hardener in big bottle, not worth to spend that much to fix couple racquets. it takes at least 5 hrs in total, and when you sand down the carbon fiber, do wet sand, or it will be very itchy with the dust.

4. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    It depends on what materials used; where the crack is; how bad the crack is (whether the fracture is completely run right across the section); how the frame constructs; how much the racket worths and finally how about a new one if the racket is so badly used.

5. chrisfong89

Student
    I have a Yonex Armortec 500 that was cracked. No longer produced but i really like it. Which is why i was even considering. I don't think can still find this racket anywhere...

beelebala, it's a crack around the inside of the frame.

6. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    You got better chance to fix it. Can you describe where the crack is as a clock face, e.g. 12 o'clock?

7. chrisfong89

Student
    It's cracked at the 1 o'clock (or 11 o'clock, depending on which side you look at it)...

It starts from one side, all around the inside till the other side out. Posted some pictures here... By the way, the frame has become distorted slightly. Not very noticeable but since i'm a bit of a perfectionist, i noticed it...

View attachment 96253 IMG_20110422_214611.jpg IMG_20110422_214801.jpg View attachment 96256 IMG_20110422_214638.jpg IMG_20110422_214529.jpg

I attached one picture from each side, one from a long view, and one more to show that the outside doesn't seem affected, except that the frame has distorted to the side a bit...

8. LD rules!

LD rules! Regular Member

Just use it until it cracks fully, there is no point in getting it fixed IMO

9. beelebala

beelebala Regular Member

catering
    If the frame distorts, it means the frame cannot hold the tension. What is the tension? The cracks is very close to the 2 o'clock, that's the first cross of the string. Is there any difference when you play with it at the moment? How it behaves when you rotates while you holding the shaft, provided the grip is done properly? Does it rotates smoothing?
    I don't think it will crack further if you don't hit it with another racket or shuttlecock. I bet the string will break before the crack. By the way, how it happens? Crash rackets?

#9 beelebala, Apr 23, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 23, 2011
  10. chrisfong89

Student
    It's currently strung to a low tension of 22 lbs. Don't feel any difference in performance so far, but i'm afraid of stringing in higher tension. Thanks anyway for all the replies, i decided not to repair it after all. Might as well save the money to buy a new one, considering that i can't be sure the racket will be okay after it is repaired. Not easy to achieve the workmanship of Yonex factories in Japan anyway. Thanks a lot!

11. Iori

Iori Regular Member

12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you can check buy and sell forum, I saw someone selling second hand AT500
    http://www.badmintoncentral.com/for...tec-Sale-(UK-Worldwide)?p=1666624#post1666624

13. ucantseeme

ucantseeme Regular Member

Z-Force II
  14. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

I cracked my AT900P because I strung it improperly... I just used some epoxy on the crack and restrung it to 24lbs... Gonna try it out tonight to see how it plays... Wish me luck :)

15. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I had a similar crack like that on my AT700, except it was right on the 12 O' clock position (I even had the same strings when it cracked :p). Paid 40nzd to repair it (about the same price to get a racquet strung with bg80 at my local badminton hall), and I should be getting it this week. I will upload pictures once I get it, to show what it looks like..

16. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

I just got it back today.. here are some photos.

DSC_0001 [800x600].jpg DSC_0002 [800x600].jpg DSC_0003 [800x600].jpg DSC_0004 [800x600].jpg

Without strings, the balance point is already at 310mm.....

Will string up to 27lbs with zm62 and see how it goes.

17. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

thanks for sharing the photo

duno whether i can get such services here at my place?

18. jhirata

jhirata Regular Member

Alright I had it restrung with bg65 at 25lbs. The racquet feels head-heavier than before. No problems clearing, but the racquet didn't feel as powerful as it did before. It's usable, but I don't think I'll use it that much.

19. suetyan

suetyan Regular Member

Hi all,

I am facing the same problem!
    My Wilson Fierce 2 BLX racket suffered from serious injury after collided with my partner's racket! The frame cracked! I just bought it 7 months ago from Japan, I don't want to throw it away. I expect its useful life to be longer :( Can we really fix or repair the cracked frame?

603025_10151590506513042_165354488_n.jpg

20. dbswansea

dbswansea Regular Member

IT
    What is the orange string?