Please recommend me a good light racket, string and tension and grip.

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Slushiefied, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Slushiefied

Slushiefied Regular Member

Student
    *title*

Anyways, here are my details to help you recommend me those.

Budget: 200$, inclusive of the grip and string.

I'm 14 years old, I play badminton 3-4 times a week, maybe more, I'm quite fit, I train alot, and I play golf, tennis, soccer, basketball and obviously badminton. I am quite small for my age, comparable to a 12 year old, I'm 145 cm, 34 kg, small hands. I'm quite fast, I also do pushups and crunches. I'm mostly a front man doubles player, and I'm one of the better players in my school. I find that I'm lacking in drop shotting and smash returning. I googled a lot, and found that lightweight rackets are good for my kind of play. For equipment I want them to be durable AND perform well, as I'm only 14 and cannot afford to keep changing them. I am currently leaning towards the nanospeed series, but do not know what model to choose. I can also buy other models, too. Whatever the majority recommends. I cannot buy equipment online, due to lack of online means to buy them.

2. Slushiefied

Student
    I do not sweat much too.

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    what racket did you use right now?

what do you mean "light"
    light in weight or head light?

light in weight, of course that means it would be fast racket
    but, the main problem with light in weight usually is vibration, they are not as solid as their heavier brother

head light will help you in to maneuver, but it is harder to generate power for smash (head light does not necessary light weight)

4. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Nanospeed 9900 will be fine.

5. Slushiefied

Student
    Head light. I was using a carbonex 8000 with a towelled overgrip, and armortec 50 default no grips or strings replacements.

6. Slushiefied

Student
    I was considering nanospeed 9900, but what is it's price? And the grip, string, and string tension for it..?

7. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Last time my friend helped me ask in Queensway there about $220. String tension depends on your ability.

8. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Ti-10 (3rd Gen) is within your budget. Around 160 in Queensway there. But, most people say Ti-10 is less durable. I am using it, is quite okay.

9. Slushiefied

Student
    Okay.... Forget about sting tension. Gonna go with 22 for that. But what about string, and grip? I heard the BG80 is pretty good. The nanospeed 9900 is 220? Maybe I'll go with other models. What about the 8000 or 9000?

10. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    The price is around 220~ 240. Not sure for now the price maybe increased. Maybe you can get better price after bargain. 8000 and 9000 will be slightly cheaper. BG-80 is quite good in smashing and with high repulsion. If you want to get the best string, BG-66 Ultimax is the best yonex string because the repulsion and others rating are higher but the string is a bit too thin. BG80 is 0.68mm while BG 66 is 0.66mm.

11. Slushiefied

Student
    However, is the BG-66 Ultimax durable?

12. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Durability depends how long you play and your string tension. BG-85 is so far the most durable string that I had tried. BG-66 Ultimax still unknown cause I just strung it less than 2 weeks. BG-80 is less durable compare to BG-85. I just broke it within 3 weeks TT

13. Slushiefied

Student
    o_O I heard that 3000 is a newer model compared to the 9900, is that true?

14. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Not sure. Nanospeed 9900 is the most high end in nanospeed series.

15. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

8000 is pretty light already. Perhaps you might try some tacky overgrip instead of towel. Making the grip smaller will be more agile too. I am afraid jumping from a flexible racket to extra stiff might not be the best idea, and in the worst case you might end up with muscle/tendon strain. Don't get hooked by the flagship fever.

16. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    Good point dude. I forgot about his preference on the flexibility.

17. Slushiefied

Student
    Okay, i'm getting pretty confused on the model system of yonex nanospeed.

1. Is the nanospeed 100-3000 newer than the nanospeed 9900. If so, why is the 9900 the most high-end when its so old?

2. I don't get why they must make the older ones a higher number....... Wouldn't it be logical to put the newer ones as the higher number...? What happens if they reach 0 on the nanospeed series? They can't make any new ones...

Erm, and what is flagship fever?

I don't really know much about flexibility, what does it affect?

I'm also thinking of getting the karakal grip, too.

18. kaiyuan

kaiyuan Regular Member

Student
    1. NS 100 - 3000 is for not so high level players. Although it maybe old, it still possess the best feature.
    2. Yonex problem, not ours =P
    Flexibility maybe a problem. If your wrist and arm is not used to extra stiff shaft. You may end up getting injury in your arms and tendon. Normally beginners start with medium flexibility first. What's the racket you been using now?

19. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

I haven't used many rackets but my understanding is that Yonex runs 2 lines of rackets in each series - Japan & Taiwan/China. The highend ones are Made in Japan, and usually the most expensive ones are the stiffest. Whether they suit you depends on your skill and physical strength. You can buy the most expensive model but struggle to generate power and hurt your shoulder. NS3000 is a 4U flexible racket which some argued was for women, but if it works for you then who cares. I have been playing for 2 decades and found even balance medium flex 3U works best for me. I just hate 2U stiff rackets (especially the MP99 lol). But since you are young and in good physical fitness, I suspect you might not utilize the 8000LT to its fullest. AT50 is quite head heavy which might explain the lack of speed near the net.

20. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    new one doesn't mean better, 100-3000 most likely only low-mid end racket
    while 9900 still the best from nanospeed range (material and technology wise)

yes, flexibility of the shaft will affect you
    soft flex or flexible means you can generate more power if you have slower swing speed
    when you have more power and faster swing speed, you will feel the shaft will bend and it would make you difficult to control the racket (as it bends before hit the shuttle you might have difficulty in timing)
    also, flexible racket needs recovery time to go back to their normal state after a shot. that means you need more time to prepare for the next shot, which is not good)

stiffer shaft provide you with faster recovery time
    if you have lots of power, it also will channel your power to the head which will resulted in higher power output compared to flexible shaft
    but, of course, you need big power and fast swing speed to utilize it, if you don't have it (and still use the stiff racket ), you will put your muscle under pressure which might injure yourself

#20 Avenger, Apr 22, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2011