Does anyone care ?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by Raphy, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

Hi people.

I'm just wondering... We are currently trying to promote something quite unique in the world of badminton - and the world of sport through a World Wide Badminton Flashmob for Solibad.... and we get very little interest from you guys from BC, who are supposed to be amongst the most enthusiastic people in the badminton world...

Why so ?

This event is about to create history, and I feel like BC won't take part. Because you don't know about it ? Because you don't care ? Of course, it's important for us that more people participate because it will raise the profile of the foundation SOLIBAD - Badminton without Borders - but also and mostly the profile of the sport all over the world.

It's easy, it's simple, all you have to do is either show up and do the little choreography where a Flashmob is already scheduled, or start one on your own. It's also very easy to make a small Flashmob in your city, outside with your badminton friends. The more places we have, the better it will be related in the media

So far, more than 30 have officially accepted, but we will be closer than 70 or even 100 places all around the world.

Come on, just get mobilized and help us create history. Don't just sit behind your computer and try to change the world with words. Put them into actions and come and help us ! It's a crazy idea, but world changes thanks to crazy ideas, right ? And I'd love to see BC Forumers take an active part of it !!!

If you want more info on how to create one near your place, contact me : raphael@solibad.net

Here are some information about this Flashmob:

THe official Solibad Page
    http://www.solibad.net/en/solibad/34-actualites/95-solibad-day-official-page

The BWF article about it
    http://www.bwfbadminton.org/news_item.aspx?id=47036

The Badzine Article
    http://www.badzine.net/features/ae2011-badminton-stars-launch-worldwide-“flashmob”-appeal/13361/

The video of last year's Flashmob :
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JcPwhOSGyQE

What we hope to do after all videos have been gathered - somthing similar to that
    http://www.wherethehellismatt.com/

2. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

no nobody cares. Too bad

3. druss

druss Regular Member

No offense but people care in different ways for different things. Time is always an issue as well. I'm glad you're very excited about this and it's great that so many people are already participating but you're attitude I think is wrong. Be happy about those that are participating, don't get pissed at those that aren't.

4. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

I guess you're right, Druss. Sorry about that.
    I'm just a bit disappointed that no one amongst the deciders on BC is trying to give us a hand or promote it in anyways. That's all.
    But I guess we'll manage on our own.
    And I do know that time is an issue - I spend 90 % of my time volunteering for Badminton ;-)

5. druss

druss Regular Member

I do volunteering for cancer research and my wife is on the board of directors for a local hospital, all this with 2 kids and we both have full time jobs. Unfortunately, while we all on BC share a passion for badminton, for some of us it actually makes up very little of our current lives.

Glad to see you can basically do what you love :)

6. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Raphy, you do do good work.
    It's fair to be disappointed if you aren't seeing large numbers of BC'ers participating. But please don't be despondent.

I suspect that many young BC members are like young people everywhere..... they'll get excited and involved when the time gets close to the last second. That doesn't help your organizational planning now, but you will likely get a good turnout wherever you have someone organizing.

You have great ideas and are making the greater society of badminton more interesting. Keep it up!:)
    [FONT=georgia, bookman old style, palatino linotype, book antiqua, palatino, trebuchet ms, helvetica, garamond, sans-serif, arial, verdana, avante garde, century gothic, comic sans ms, times, times new roman, serif]Those who are quite satisfied sit still and do nothing; those who are not quite satisfied are the sole benefactors of the world. ~Walter Savage Landor[/FONT]

7. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

Fidget, Druss

I do know what you're saying. Actually, it's not so much the BC Forumers I'm disappointed in as I said. But anyways, let's be positive and all try our best to make a difference. Either through Badminton as we do with Solibad, or through other voluntary work.
    Have a good Easter everyone and let's close this chapter.

8. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

Perhaps if some of those ambasadors came and promote the thing here or locally or even their websites (can't say I see much if any news about it) people would care and get more interested. Probably 80% of the members (the less regular visitors) don't know what Solibad is or have even heard of it ...
    That said a cause like this should be worthy of a permanent countdown banner at least, below the BC banner

On a sidenote: didn't flashmobs go out of style with iPhone3 or is France catching up only now :D Then again :eek: http://www.studentsinmotion.nl/

#8 demolidor, Apr 24, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2011
  9. Raphy

Raphy Regular Member

Hi Demolitor

I couldn't agree more - I would love to have a banner or a countdown on BC. Actually, I've asked if the post could be upgraded as "sticky" but my request was turned down....

Flashmobs, yes, could be a bit out of style. But it's still fun and it still raises awareness. But we'll work on another idea next year for the 2nd edition of Solibad Day ;-)