Best grip style for small hands?

Discussion in 'Grip' started by Slushiefied, Apr 22, 2011.

1. Slushiefied

Slushiefied Regular Member

Student
    Hi, I'm 14, and I'm pretty small for my age, and have small hands. My hands don't sweat much, and I have a carbonex 8000 with a towel overgrip, and i recently bought an armortec 50, but I have not changed it's default grip. What should change to? Are there any good grips out there? I can't buy any online, though.

Someone told me to get the G5 grip then overgrip it, but I don't know.

What's the difference between bigge grips and smaller grips? Is it better for people with small hands to get small grips?

2. Slushiefied

Student
    Also, my hand measures 15-16 cm from the base of my palm to my longest finger, which is my middle finger.

And, what is 'tackiness'?

3. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    you need to understand there are 2 type of grips
    replacement grip and overgrip

replacement grip usually used to replace your factory grip, remove your factory grip and you will see the wood handle, and apply the replacement grip on the wood (replacement grip is thick)

overgrip usually used to apply on the replacement grip. usually overgrip is used to make the handle bigger (overgrip is thin)

I think just take out the original grip, and put replacement grip
    if you think it is too big, remove the replacement grip and apply overgrip on the wood

I prefer RKEP ultimate
    but since you cannot oder online, try to find Karakal Super PU grip (replacement grip)

4. Slushiefied

Student
    Okay, but what about G(number)? I see that discussed often, but I'm not quite sure what it is. Is it the size of the wooden handle on the racquet, not including the default grip already on it? If so, how do you change it from, for example, a G4 to a G5?

5. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    oh yeah, did you hand sweat a lot?
    if your hand sweat a lot, you might want to consider towel grip (but towel grip is pretty thick)

tackiness is to help your hand doesn't slip when you hold the racket

6. Slushiefied

Student
    No, it doesn't. Please answer the above questions, anybody?

7. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Correct. It is the default size of the wooden handle. Since it has already been fixed since the production of the racquet you can't change it directly. What you could do is vary the thickness of the grip you put on the handle so the final thickness suits your hand.

Technically you won't be able to go from a default G4 to G5 or G6 although you could get a thickness akin to G5 starting from a G4 by stripping the handle all the way to the wood then apply a very very thin grip on it with very little overlap. Reversely to go higher in thickness all you do is just put on more overgrip.

What you have been advised was to put overgrip on a G5 which would give you a soft feeling G4.5 although you could also get a G4 and then put the overgrip directly on it to get a more woody feel with about the same thickness.

On the other hand, how do you feel about the towel grip on your other racquet? If you like it then stick with it as you could get towel grips at much cheaper prices than the other PU grips/overgrips (don't get cheated by the overpriced Yonex towel grips that Mustafa sells).

8. Slushiefied

Student
    Umm.. the towel grip on my other racket is pretty dry, and hardened (by that, i mean the cloth on the towel does not stick out anymore, it is completey flattened.) I like it, but i'm not sure whether it is too big for me. I can touch just the very tip of my index finger when i hold it. But i also want to try out other grips like the karakal. The towel grip for my other racket was an overgrip over the default grip of the racket. I do not sweat much, so...

I also heard that smaller grips are able to use more wrist movements and such. Wouldn't that be better? Besides, i have quite small hands.

9. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

Small grip sizes with plenty of room for your fingers to squeeze on the handle is in fact more encouraging for wristy movements as the racquet has more range of movement which is unrestricted by your palm. However if that room is too much then your shots will start to lose stability as the handle is no longer in contact with a larger surface area of your palm and the racquet is vibrating loosely in your palm even when you grip tightly. Too big the grip and you will lose room for your fingers to squeeze onto the handle. You will need more experimentation with grip sizes and types to find your perfect fit.

Tackiness on the other hand means how sticky the grip will feel in your palm when you grip it. The feel is temporary and goes away when you loosen your grip unlike glue of course :D

yf19-sama likes this.
  10. Slushiefied

Student
    I see. Thanks! I don't think i'll go with towel grips, my hands don't sweat much.

11. fsga1891

fsga1891 Regular Member

Hey, my hand is same size as you, but i older then u many many ...Is true a smaller grips are able to use more wrist movements and such. (For yonex grip size G4) u can leave the original grip on, just buy a "overgrip" will do, it wont be too big, if you remove the original grip, you can put 2 "overgrip" also can... i have try many many way on the grip the suit my hand size, watse a lot of money on it ... "Replacement grip" is still too thick for our small hand on G4.

Usually i remove the original grip, put 2 "overgrip" on it, perfectly suit my hand and the best i ever try.

12. Mark A

Mark A Regular Member

My hand is 19.25 cm from base to tip of middle finger and I use G6 - my wooden handle is only 2.75 inches around before a grip goes on. IME grip size is as much to do with hitting technique as hand size: if you use a lot of wrist in your shots you will need a smaller grip to allow for more articulation.

13. dimcorner

dimcorner Regular Member

I tried towel grips once. My racket almost slipped out of my hands because I don't sweat at my palms. I cold barely hold on to the racket unless I wiped sweat from my forehead to moisten my hands.

14. tibetmonk

tibetmonk Regular Member

Like fsga1891, I use 2 overgrips (this is 2 overgrips if I remove the original factory overgrip. If the factory grip is there, I just apply 1 x overgrip) Avenger's post seems interesting. I normally see people using replacement grip ON TOP of an overgrip. Anyway, I sweat alot on my palms but I need a thin grip as I will leave space between the handlegrip and my palm for flicking and driving the shuttles. I have tried all sort of grips including towel grips but they are too thick for my style of play. I end up using Babolat "VS" Original overgrip or the Babolat Pro Team Tacky grip which provides alot of tackiness even after 2 hours of play.. have been using the same grips ever since then.