Malaysian shuttlers not performing

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by dave C, Mar 19, 2001.

1. dave C

dave C Guest

In a recent article the Malysian shuttlers are not performing when it matters most, for instance in the recent All England Men doubles semi finals. They are said to take things for granted i.e their status
    But a week later in the Swiss open - what happens, the men's singles is an all Malaysian affair...
    Any comments?

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    all credits to the Malaysian champions. however, we must also look objectively, the top players in the world other than Taufik did not compete in the Swiss Open. eg. Hendrawan, Peter Gade, Ji, Xia. so Swiss Open is not a real fair test and any conclusion based on it alone may be premature.

but in any case, hopefully the wins will be a confidence boost to the Malaysian crew and we will see more good results from them in the future.

3. May

May Guest

I agree with u.

4. Wins

Wins Regular Member

student
    If u say Malaysia shuttlers are not perform, how about singapore ??? It is worst !!!!

5. May

May Guest

I agree with u, but I think that with Singapore, it is partly because there's no talent, and no parent would encourage them to be come an athlete of any kind, whether they have talent or not.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    Its actually a pity that Malaysia haven't been performing to what their actually capable of right now.

I think the only reason why it was an all Malaysian affair in the final was because there wern't very many top class players participating..... eg Ji Xinpeng, Xia Xuanze, Hendrawan and if Taufik played his best it would be a completely new game......

But anyway, congrats to Hashim for taking the title!

7. Bbn

Bbn Regular Member

It is exactly the same in malaysia.Some time ago a Malaysian

team manager when asked why his players cannot think replied

that badminton players are not very bright, that's why they play

the game for a living, otherwise they can be Engineers or

doctors etc.

8. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Wow! Sharp comment but a bit tactless, coming fr the team manager.... I dun think you can call someone *stupid* juz coz they do sports for a living... in Korea, a lot of their players are graduates eg. Kim Dong Moon, Ra Kyung Min, Yim Kyung Jin... maybe it's different elsewhere. Anyway, I agree with Kwun that the Swiss Open didn't mean much coz of two things:

1)Absence of top shuttlers
    2)New scoring system which some may not have gotten used to. I remember reading that the Malaysians have already been training under the new system.

Well, we can only wait and see...