Knee Hurts

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by TsAr83, Apr 24, 2011.

1. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

After playing for like 2 hours i have observed that my knees hurt, after a good day rest I feel ok. What could be the reason for this pain? and kindly suggest some remedy for this?

2. fsga1891

fsga1891 Regular Member

Me too, especially at the join part... but i have many badminton friends told me to take glucosamine, some of them have same problem, after taking glucosamine find better and no pain anymore, but of course need to have enough warming up and wearing knee guard also. I will try it too, hope can help u.

3. deber

deber Regular Member

Could be a lot of different things. Go to a doctor. This is my exp. as my knees have had pain for about 15 years, mostly if i bend down and stand up.
    From my understanding my pain is caused by the patella (sp), possably rubbing the 2 other leg bones. At 1st I would go to a doctor and get a shot every week in both knees. I forget what it was but it was like an oil to help the bone slide. At 1st i felt great, pain went away and i felt like i had more power. Eventually I was only aloud to go every 2 weeks and then the effect wore off and it didnt seem to help much.

Now i found a new doctor, Im in japan so i dont know exactly how to explain it but i guess he is like a chiropractor. 1st this do like electric pusles on different parts of my body, followed by a lymph massage in my neck. Last the doctor will put this butterfly looking tape on my knees, back, neck and various other places. Theres no shots of medicen at all. the difference is amazing, my knees feel so much better. ya they still hurt and sometimes more then other times. from what he told me the pain is casues by your muscles actually. your theigh muscle that holds the patella is weak, thats why it rubs. im soupose to do squats to build it up but im kinda lazy and dont do them. Also i asked about a knee brace, he said its not really a good idea because your just fooling your body, your not really fixing anything, should just build up your muscle.

Sorry for the story/grammer/spelling. I just hope this can help someone.

Also glucosamine is just about as effictive as a placebo.

4. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

So should Glucosamine be taken in liquid form or capsule form.....Should I just take it on days that I play or is there a therapy time period.

5. Yarmy

Yarmy New Member

in my opinion diagnosis of knee injuries has many large machines and invasive technique wit new therapies.
    ------------------
    Free database of eco friendly companies

6. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    sounds like weak legs to me. U play for couple hours so muscles get tired and knees hurt and then with rest, pain goes away. This could become a regular prob if u dont fix it now. Dont play for as long. Start at 45 mins and stop. 2/3 times a week, do squats or hop on the bike to build up the quads.

7. htery

htery New Member

searching
    If the Pain in the back of the knee can be caused by arthritis i also experience a lot of pain in one of my knees so i can understand the pain of knee.
    --------------
    Free database of eco friendly companies.

8. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
  9. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

It could be a lot of reasons but most commonly these problems are associated with improper footwork. Are you lunging with your foot ahead of your knees? Or are they at the same level? Worst of all if the knee is ahead of the foot when landing from a lunge. You really have to take note of this.

10. Poglomog

Poglomog Regular Member

Poggle
    Timz is right, bad footwork is the most common reason for knee-related injuries in badminton. Your best bet is to ice and rest the knees for 20 minutes at a time, for several hours throughout the day, also take some strong anti-inflammatory painkillers such as Ibuprofen (500mg) and avoid too much stress.

If the pain is severe, your best bet is to stop playing for a few days to a week, possibly see your doctor if it's unbearable, and also follow the above procedure of rest and ice, then try slowly building up the leg muscles. - Knee pain can be prevented if you compensate the training and playing that you do on-court, with strength and stability-related exercises off-court.

In my experience and opinion, the most common types of knee-related injuries in badminton are patellar tendinitis, chondromalacia (runners knee) or patellofemoral pain syndrome - you can Google these for symptoms and more info - hope that helps. :)

Also, if your knees are clicking and cracking, you might want to see a doctor. ;)

11. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    Hard floor
    Increased volume of play
    Insufficient rest days
    Poor shoes
    Preexisting medical condition
    Muscle imbalance/weak muscles
    Poor footwork
    Poor mobility at other joints
    Wear and tear over long period

So many possiblities

12. ricebowl

ricebowl Regular Member

CSR
    just to add from existing list

be sure to warm up before playing...
    this will loosen your muscles and prevent you from any injuries...

13. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    I used to take gluco. But not anymore because I drink kangen water. It could be acid developing inside the joints. ;)

14. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

most of the time your knee hurts is when you jump/lunge when your knee is not in line with your toes.

also most trainers will tell you not too let your knees "overtake" your toes when you lunge. try to "stretch" reach with your feet first then brake with your hamstrings rather than just your quads.

try to do some jumping squats and lunges when you're not playing baddy and pay attention at your technique. you'll reduce the pain your muscle and movement improves

also just posted this in the "pills for joints" thread too:
    glucosomine rocks! i used to take for my knee when i was training for the KL Marathon, "cartilamine" is a clinically proven brand (750 mg per 2 tabs) 2x daily but it didnt work as well as Vitril S (1500 mg per sachet) which i only take after a long run.

apparently glucosomine + chondroitin works better but I don't support eating shark as some glucosomine + chondroitin supplements are made from shark cartilage (fins).

the killing stops when the buying stops.

hope it helps