EDBA tournament in edmonton

Discussion in 'Canada West' started by yonexfanatic, Apr 19, 2003.

1. yonexfanatic

yonexfanatic Regular Member

Just out of curiousity, anyone from edmonton here? If so, going to the EDBA tournament at concorida uni may 17th-?? ?

2. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hi yonexfanatic,

I'm from Edmonton originally, but I've been gone 6 years. I'm moving back this summer though. I would've loved to see the EDBA tournament but I'll be visiting town one week too late. Let me know how it goes!

Just wondering, there are lots of clubs in Edmonton to play, and I'll be looking for one when I come back. Preferably with decent quality players, feather preferred, and not too expensive (I don't think I can afford Derrick or Royal Glenora, and Red Willow is way too far away). Do you have any suggestions? Thanks!

3. yonexfanatic

Hey coupii,

Coming back in summer eh? How's the weather in Houston? Anyways, I'll tell you how it goes for the tournament, it's one of the last ones for the badminton season and for me, I'm treating it as more of a "fun/relax" tournament because it's not part of the badminton alberta circuit (where those ones are much more competitive).

So anyways, you're looking for a club to play in with decent players and preferably using feather birds? Unfortunately none of the casual clubs in Edmonton use feather shuttles.. there are a few casual clubs in edmonton though that have pretty decent players (former A-B range) and those clubs are pretty cheap, about 50-75 dollars a year depending which club. I myself play at one of these casual clubs but besides the playing, I do have sponsor membership at the Derrick club therefore I take training there and it's always with feather birds. Unfortunately, I believe ONLY the derrick, glenora, and red willow use feather birds in the city so sorry to say, you're out of luck with feathers. May I suggest though, if you plan to play at a casual club, the castledowns club and IBC are your best bets for competitive play.

Need anymore info on these clubs, it's at the EDBA website.
    http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba

4. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Hey Yonexfanatic,

What age divisions and events are offered at EDBA this weekend? I heard about it but am too busy to venture there and also not good enough most likely.:D
    Regarding clubs, are there any by the River Valley or in Sherwood Park area?

5. yonexfanatic

Hey Hugo,

The EDBA tournament is an open so all ages can play. Not good enough? Nah, you should have signed up, there's an A category, B category, C category, and even beginner category.

But anyways, about clubs..were you referring to the River Valley in Edmonton? Because if so, the only club I know of in or near the river valley is the royal glenora. Unfortunately it's a pretty expensive club as you might know. About Sherwood Park, I'm not firmiliar with any clubs there. Sorry about that. Where do you live anyways? Maybe I can help you find a club nearby your area.

Well, if you have the time, you should come check out some of the action at the tournament.

6. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

student, Kumon Math Marker (w00t!)

Hm... well there is recreational badminton at salisbury composite high school on tues nites i think. it's mostly middle aged, older people, but it's cheap, and u play so...

and the edba tourney should be crazy, apparently there's some 200 entries, and the organizers are goin nuts gettin it all together. but it should be fun, some rg and derrick ppl goin, plus i'm sure some uni students will be comin as they're on summer break now too.

7. yonexfanatic

Hey Oranjmaan,

Yeah, I recieved the list of the players in the EDBA tournament..from what I can remember, I believe there are about 215 entries. I can imagine the organizers are going nuts about it, must be hard to keep track of the entries cause I see some mistakes in the players list. But anyways, yes, it should be fun, I'm from teh Derrick and I know all of the players from the Derrick and the Glenora playing in the touranment, I honestly can't wait to play. Hmm, I also know some of the uni students playing...are you going to be playin gin the tournament?

8. Hugo

Hugo Regular Member

Electrical Engineer
    Thanks for your input, Yonexfanatic and Oranjmaan.
    I live a little ways away from the city so I was looking at some possible occasional visits for some club playing. Hopefully, during the summer, more time will be available for that!
    Well, wish you guys good luck at EDBA.

9. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Thanks for the info, Yonexfanatic. Good luck at the tournament! Which events will you be playing in? I'll be in town for a couple of weeks end of May early June. I'll try to come by the IBC to check it out and play. You're talking about the one at WP Wagner, right? I think Castledowns might be a little farther than I'd like to drive, but it's not as bad as St. Albert.

Oh, Houston is damn hot. 6 years and I'm still not used to it. Here, 20 degrees celsius is called "winter."

10. yonexfanatic

Hey coupii,

Thanks! Like I mentioned before, the EDBA tournament is more of a "fun/relaxation" tournament and isn't part of the Badminton Alberta circuit (this is mainly because it's set up for the casual clubs like castledowns and IBC, etc and only consists of doubles and mixed events). Bringing that up, I'm playing in both doubles and mixed and no singles (because of the reason above, no singles! :D

For IBC, yes it is the club at WP Wagner, the one I play at! So maybe when you come down I'll see you around. In case you don't know the days, it's on Monday's and Wednesdays. Unfortunately because the badminton season is almost over, IBC ends halfway through the month of June. Same with all of the other clubs like Castledowns and espicially St. ALbert

But anyways, maybe we'll run into each other

11. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

Yea, I'll be playin in the tourney tomorrow. Only problem is is draw times, and when doubles and XD is gonna be, since my XD partner isn't playin doubles and needs a ride. Which, if we play tomorrow, then we're quite screwed :( as she won't be there, and I highly doubt draws and times will be posted tonite, even tho the organizers have told me that they will be.

!!!Oops, my bad, they're up already. Go check em out.

#11 Oranjmaan, May 16, 2003
    Last edited: May 16, 2003
  12. yonexfanatic

I know eh? But guess what, the draw times were JUST put up on the site so just check it out..

http://www.compusmart.ab.ca/edba/edba_tournament.htm

Are you playing A, B, or C?

Guess maybe i'll see you tomrorow

nvm about the above, lol...just noticed you saw already

#12 yonexfanatic, May 16, 2003
    Last edited: May 16, 2003
  13. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    my cousin signed up for that

I am a ways from edmonton too, or else i would of signed up.

14. yonexfanatic

sup chia?

what category is ur cousin playing in? It's too bad u live so far away

15. Chia

Chia Regular Member

High School
    Hey

I am not quite sure, hes in university and playing doubles. He didn't tell me what category

16. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

Ai ya! So terrible. I played in C, and probably had a good chance of winning it, until my partner and I totally fell apart today.

Lol, must've been the lights, or the floors, or the birds or something, Derrick and RG ppl realli weren't havin such a good day :(. But, there's always mixed tomorrow.

How'd everybody else do?

17. yonexfanatic

Chia,

I see, what's his name? maybe I know him, I know a lot of University students.

Oranjmaan,

You wouldn't happen to play at the glenora would you? James? Sounds like you, lol..forgive me if it's not you.

18. Oranjmaan

Oranjmaan Regular Member

Lol, yea, dat's me :D.

19. coupii

coupii Regular Member

Physician
    Hi Yonexfanatic,

That's too bad that the EDBA clubs close for the summer. I won't be moving back permanently until July, so I don't know how I'm going to be able to sit still for two months until the season starts again! I'm definitely going to have to think of something! Most of the time badminton is the only reason I even bother to get out of bed in the morning.

I'll try to come out either on the 26th or 28th, and maybe the following week too. I don't think I can make it twice a week because I have too many things to do. It would be cool to run into each other. I'll be the new guy who looks lost, so keep an eye open for me. Anyways, it'll be great to see how I match up with y'all, it's always a challenge playing new people in a new place.

Alright, see you next week!

#19 coupii, May 18, 2003
    Last edited: May 18, 2003
  20. yonexfanatic

Hey coupii,

Yeah, most of the clubs are closed for the summer but each year, there are a couple that run summer sessions like Castledowns and the Chinese Club. I'm not sure if those clubs will be running it this year but chances are, they will haev some sort of session in the summer (since they have had sessions in the summer for the past couple of years if i'm not mistaken).

Anyways, it'd be cool to see you come out sometime..unfortunately, I tend not to go on Mondays (such as the 26th) because that's the day I have training at the Derrick and I'm usually tired but you never know, I just might go to play for fun afterwards at IBC. But anyways, guess if you go either days, I'll try to be there and I'll try to keep an eye out for you.

Till then