the 7 point system?

Discussion in 'General Forum' started by dave C, Mar 19, 2001.

1. dave C

dave C Guest

Anyone out there not in favour of the 7 point scoring system taking over in the future - I seriously hope not, it spoils the game.
    That's one of reason the recent the Swiss open attracted so few top names despite its 2 stars status - am I right?

Don't change a good thing, we have live with the 15 points scoring system for decades and why introduce some strange system.

2. shaun

shaun Regular Member

Theatre boy!!
    Yes i like the 15 pt system as well. It has worked well for so long and no one has a problem with it, so why change it.

3. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    in hope that badminton games get tv coverage. A shorter game is more palatable to media people. ie. more commerical in between games---> sponsors

4. May

May Guest

The real reason is that many top players wanted to train for the WGPF, that is, until it was cancelled.

5. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    I think we can all stop whining about this now. They're gonna try it out no matter what we think about it.

6. Byro-Nenium

Byro-Nenium Regular Member

Undergrad
    The new system has its good points too. It allows agressive smashers to win more games. I'm an agressive smasher and not so consistant with the long rallies. I was just playing a tournament last weekend where i played 1 guy who was very good. The group stages were played with the new system and the finals and semis were played with the old system. I won the group stages 7-3 7-6 7-0. But i lost the finals in a real long match 12-15 15-13 15-5. It was tough but the new system does make a huge difference on the game. Whether is better or not, you decide. I prefer the old system. Tradional.......

7. Adel

Adel Regular Member

Student
    Well, I s'ppose if the new system is less brutal, it will be beneficial to the older players. Haryanto Arbi, for instance, is thinking of making a comeback (see thread on Misbun and Indra's take on the 5x7). But then, I like (watching) rallies and seeing players make an amazing comeback to win... badminton has been my biggest source of (sporting) inspiration becoz of this. I know you can do the same with 5x7 but it's kinda different coz 7 pts is obviously easier to reach than 15 so if you're say, down by 4 or 5 pts, it already signifies a huge psychological loss. I'm not saying it's impossible and a lot of it is probably mental but hey, sports is 70 percent mental at the top level coz everyone's abt the same in terms of skill (that's what somebody once said).

And since the new system is s'pposed to make the game shorter to attract more sponsors and get more TV coverage, we shld all start striking in front of the IBF office if there isn't a significant increase in live telecast... =)

That's abt all I have to say... sorry for boring everyone to death. Oh, one last pt, if the 5x7 is finalised, it will be implemented officially starting from 2003.