User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Right now I'm trying to relax a bit my wrist. i think all my bad habits came from this, that I was training volleyball for 6 years. We are going on court on sunday and Monday. We will make some backhand routine. Maybe I will record some moveis again.

Mentioned
    139 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

just concentrate on the strokes first,

stand closer to the mid rear to start with, so that you don't overstretch your footwork yet

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Good advice so far, especially from visor. Focussing on the stroke first will not only avoid overstretching your footwork, but you don't REACH too far either - you don't want to have to stretch your arm too far.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We'll we've played yesterday and I see some improvement. Practising to relax the wrist have really helped. In the training routines I have made few times the back line. But I still have to think about it, how to do it, that the wrist must be relaxed. Still have problems with footwork. I'm probably to slow. In games I make few good backhand shots, but when it comes to stresful situation my backhand still fails :/
    On sunday we will be practising for about an hour.
    Many of your advices help.
    Thanks.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

concentrate on the wrist !!! thats where most of the power would come from .......

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok, It's better. We played it for about hour. But didn't make movies. I saw improvement during the game but still lot things to do.
    We will make movies next week

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Some people mention that perhaps the point of contact should be in front, to the side or behind the body (furthest from the net).

I would say that in order to learn, don't let the shuttle get past your body, but don't take it TOO far in front (read: too far between you and the net) - no more than a foot I would say.

However, in a game, you generally wouldn't use a backhand clear unless it is considerably behind you and quite low. Thus, you need to be able to play the shot from when "in trouble", but this is easy once the basics are mastered. Once you can hit that full court straight clear from head height whilst it is at full arms reach (ish) away from the net behind you, THEN you have a very useful backhand clear - useful for getting out of jail - its only use, other than showing off.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ok after another training
    I noticed, that I can produce more power closer to my head than when my arm is straight. Damn why it is so difficult. Thursday another day of practice.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You should not over stretch your arm - the arm should be slightly bent at contact - nice and relaxed, and a contact point just above the height of the head (obviously an arms distance away from the head) is perfectly acceptable. Reaching up high is not as much a requirement of a backhand overhead shot. I don't know if thats what you meant?

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Don't straight arm any backhand shots, it's an open invitation for tennis elbow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Improvement!!!

Ok It's lot lot better, power has increased and the quality of shot is better. We are not afraid of hitting backand smashes. Still no video but it will come

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by cobalt View Post
    How to change d way we hold d grip in a spilt second when we trying to get a smash which travels quite fast??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Jacek View Post
    Ok It's lot lot better, power has increased and the quality of shot is better. We are not afraid of hitting backand smashes. Still no video but it will come
    What camera are you using? The video quality is superb.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Fuji HS10

The quality is 120 frames per minutes.
    It also makes normal movie in great HD.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MSeeley View Post
    You should not over stretch your arm - the arm should be slightly bent at contact - nice and relaxed, and a contact point just above the height of the head (obviously an arms distance away from the head) is perfectly acceptable. Reaching up high is not as much a requirement of a backhand overhead shot. I don't know if thats what you meant?
    the contact point should be above the shoulder or slightly in front, power will be lost when contact point is behind shoulder
    you do need to reach abit higher when smashing , without stretching your arm!!!

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

staiger:
    Im not entirely sure what you mean by "behind the shoulder" - do you mean that the point of contact is "past" or "behind" the body (as in further away from the net than where the body currently is?) - if you mean doing this is less powerful, you are of course correct. However, a backhand clear is normally only played once the shuttle has gone well out of the reach of a round the head shot where it is not possible to get into an "ideal" hitting position. Thus, you need to be able to hit a full court straight clear from deep, low and behind the body. Although not ideal for when learning the shot, this is the reality of the shots you will have to pull off.

If you are going to play a backhand smash, i would agree with you that a higher contact point is better - giving access to steeper angles. However, its a backhand smash... whats the point? I say: play a decisive round the head smash instead haha.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

what i meant is that alot of players trying to hit the backhand clear when the shuttle already past their shoulder and not in-line thus losing great amount of power. the correct contact point is slightly infront /above the shoulder. good preparation and finding the correct contact point is the key.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast