Serving??????

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by bridgeco11, Apr 26, 2011.

1. bridgeco11

bridgeco11 New Member

tiler
    I am a begginer at badminton and was hoping there may be someone who can help me clear up a couple of rules on serving and receiving serves in a singles game

How many serves are you allowed to play? do you get a second serve like tennis? if the shuttlecock touches the net is that a let?

Also when receiving a serve are you allowed past your service line to smash a shot close to the net? or do you have to stay within your box?

Would be great if someone could help clear up these rules for me :D

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    1. no second serve.
    2. no let when the shuttle touches the net. the rally continues after the shuttle touch the net
    3. after the server contacts the shuttle, the receiver can go anywhere.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Kwun was a little general when talking about the net. Basically that means that if the server serves the shuttle and the shuttle hits the net cord but STILL lands in the service box, it's considered a legal serve even though the serve hit the net cord

4. bridgeco11

bridgeco11 New Member

tiler
    Thanks for your help

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Wow, and I always thought that was a let and that the server had to re-serve lol.

6. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    Guess we all learn something new every day =p. It's different compared to tennis because if the serve hits the net cord but lands in the service box, they reserve their 1st or 2nd serve.

7. Rndzz

Rndzz Regular Member

Administrative Manager
    Ey guys. kindly clarify for me...

Serving... the intended or the legal court place for a service... for singles and for doubles...
    when i play there im very confused to where are the legal place should the shuttle drops...

pls help

8. amleto

amleto Regular Member

why not make your own thread?

short and wide for doubles, thin and long for singles

9. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

Briefly, only one per point for that team. There is no second serve in badminton under the point-a-rally system.
    {If you are playing clulb rules under old 15-point system, then in doubles, when you loose your serve, your team mate will continue serving as second server.}

The server must serve the shuttle to the diagonally opposite quadrant (the long thin one for singles, and the shorter broad one in doubles).

The receiver must be in the opposite quadrant.

Server serves from adjacent quadrant when rally is won by him/her or his/her team.

When server loses rally, service is over, and the receiver now becomes the server.

Service continues for server, as long as points are won by server.

In regard to shuttle touching the net on service, will this shuttle go into the receiver's court? If yes, then good serve. You may count yourself an advanced player if you continue serving like this. And let me know, I will come and take lessons from you, really. I can only skip the shuttle off the net cord perhpas once in about seventeen hundred services.

Yes. Once the shuttle crosses the net on your side, you may do whatever you want to end that rally, including smashing the shot into the opponent's court. Just make sure you do not touch net before the shuttle lands on court.

No, you need not stay in your box (unless you have exceptionally long hands and legs).