User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzzards View Post
    I made some measurements comparing the weight and balance points of the Voltric 80, Voltric 70 and Armortec 900 in their 3U and 4U specs and found that the lighter 4U ones all have a marginally higher balance point than the overall heavier 3U ones of the same racquets. I made the conclusion that the 4U racquets actually have the same amount of material in the frame as the 3U racquets while the weight difference is mostly I'm the lighter shaft, therefore explaining the higher balance point with yet lighter overall weight. This is also true for the 2U and 3U racquet models.

The main reason I believe the lighter versions are warranted at 1lb lower max tension is mostly due to the logical fact that more less-experienced players will be buying and using the lighter versions and due to their technique, more mishaps will happen when they play and chances of breakage and consequent claims for replacement will ensue. Thus the lower warranted max tension is for deterring these people from stringing too high tensions and also recommending them to take more care while playing.

Otherwise for the more advanced players, the lower weight is really mostly the same as the heavier version while the choice to use the lighter version is for technical purposes as it is marginally less easy to tire out as quick as using the heavier version.
    And what were the weight differences between 3 and 4U's. From my observations it's quite a consistent difference so to conclude it is due to differences in the wooden handle doesn't really add up. The weight differences should be all over that 5-10 gr. range ...

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by demolidor View Post
    And what were the weight differences between 3 and 4U's. From my observations it's quite a consistent difference so to conclude it is due to differences in the wooden handle doesn't really add up. The weight differences should be all over that 5-10 gr. range ...
    You certainly have a point, my measurements were indeed consistently ranged. Although from my experience in having owned solid body guitars (consisting of near 90% wood) some of even the same model, these guitars also have very consistent weights and do not exceed 0.5lbs from each other. Learning from luthiers, I was told that the aging and conditioning process of wood can allow them to be made consistent in weight and structure. I would not think that the wooden handles made by Yonex would not have gone through a similar conditioning process given Yonex's strict QC (which is ISO9000 certified by the way) and made consistent.

Thus the only way to be totally sure of where the weight difference between weight ranges is contributed to is to separate each component of a racquet and weigh them individually which no one has yet attempted. Otherwise from my measurements the lighter U racquets have a consistently higher balance point which gives a head heavier feel, even though the amount of frame material could very well be the same.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... Although I'm looking at the VT70. I'm still deciding between waiting for the store to have the 3U, or go for the 4U right away.

I'm currently using a NS9900 3U. And started out mostly as a defense player. But now I'm slowly moving towards being more of an offense player, as well as wanting to start playing more Singles. Not all the time, but definitely more than before.

Any input on whether I should go for a 4U or a 3U? Is the loss in power in a 4U really that much compared to a 3U? I'm sure it'd still be slower and more powerful than a NS9900 3U?

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My sister plays with the Ti10 which is a head light racket in 3U-G4. She cannot play with the AT900T 3U-G4, but since I lent her my 4U-G4 AT900T, this has become her new weapon. She is equal fast as the Ti10, but has more power. Just an advice for Shoutsu from swithing from the NS9900 to a Voltric.

I (we) have the VT70 3U-G4 and the VT80 4U-G4. The swing feeling is equal for these two rackets. I think the 3U will feel a lot more headheavy, just like the AT700 balance. If you can play with the 3U Armortecs, there shouldn't be a big problem switching to the 3U Voltric.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have the VT80 4U-G4. All I can say is that its pretty heavy for 4U.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Polaroid View Post
    I have the VT80 4U-G4. All I can say is that its pretty heavy for 4U.
    It's just the weight distribution - a lot of it is in the racket head, thus giving a sort of illusion of being heavier. I've got the 3UG5 version and it feels just as light as my other rackets, but much more head heavy. Really glad I didn't get the 4U - don't want to miss out on any power from this beast.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
    It's just the weight distribution - a lot of it is in the racket head, thus giving a sort of illusion of being heavier. I've got the 3UG5 version and it feels just as light as my other rackets, but much more head heavy. Really glad I didn't get the 4U - don't want to miss out on any power from this beast.
    It's all about balance. If you play mainly doubles, most players would likely benefit from the extra speed of a 4U over the weight of the 3U. Add to that, according to users on the forum, often the 4U has a higher BP than the 3U, so that sort of also makes up for it somewhat.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I measured the BP is around like 305~310mm and its 4U

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is that strung and with overgrip?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

its strung and no overgrip.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post
    It's all about balance. If you play mainly doubles, most players would likely benefit from the extra speed of a 4U over the weight of the 3U. Add to that, according to users on the forum, often the 4U has a higher BP than the 3U, so that sort of also makes up for it somewhat.
    I think in the end, it's really up to your personal preference. I know many other advanced level players who dislike 4U's, no matter if it's singles or doubles. I'm a 3U man myself.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

BP on my 3U is higher than that (strung and no overgrip).

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ssj100 View Post
    BP on my 3U is higher than that (strung and no overgrip).
    Same here. Mine is 315mm BP strung with BG66UM and no overgrip.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well 305~310mm BP is good enough for me.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh well 305~310mm BP is good enough for me.
    Maybe your strings weigh less. Remember, if you string at higher tensions, you will need less string, and therefore the contribution of weight of the string (to the head of the racket) will also be less, therefore giving a lower BP.

BP of my 3U with no overgrip was about 315-320mm - only had a 300mm ruler, so couldn't be very accurate hehe.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by urameatball View Post
    4U for the girls, children, babies, and girly men.3U for real players.
    I heard peter gade is using 4u.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Just play with VT80 3UG5, dun really feel that super head heavy. Must say, is faster than At900p which I use previously.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast