Yonex VT80 - 4U vs 3U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by Naim.F.C, Apr 26, 2011.

1. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Can anyone who has used both chime in with their experiences? How did they find and any particular preference? I play mainly doubles so was veering towards the 4U version, but that depends on how fast the 3U swings in comparison to my 3U MX80.

Any thoughts would be welcome. I guess ultimately I'd like to know how much power you lose with the 4U VT80 and how much speed you gain over the 3U. Also, will the 4U VT80 still have more power than a 3U MX80?

Thanks.

2. Tornoni

Tornoni Regular Member

Finance
    I mainly play double game.
    I have a 3U VT80 and awaiting for my 4U VT80.
    I found that 3U80 is slower than my 4U AT900P and way slower than my 3U NS9900 in defense.
    Power wise, I don't find VT80 a big gain, if there is any.
    A few club members played with it and loved it instantly.
    Should be able to compare 3U vs. 4U by end of May.
    In the meantime, any one?

3. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    My VT80's should arrive today. Will be interesting to compare weights and BP's with my 3U MX80.

4. avengers88

avengers88 Regular Member

Do let us know how it feels Naim. Did u get a 3U or 4U Voltric ?

5. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    4U versions. I have more than one so will weigh each one along with the BP's to see which is my ideal.

6. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    not everyone can handle 3U VT80 so i suggest those who play double with weak arm to go for 4U...
    playing double matches, defense and control are the piorities you should not loose
    smash power come 2nd ...for rookie players

7. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    4U for the girls, children, babies, and girly men.
    3U for real players.

8. wlachan

wlachan Regular Member

Ignorance is bliss.

9. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    Stop such insult
    5g lesser don't make human more cc

10. avengers88

Yeah, its all bout technique and skills. 4U and 3U is just really the feel and weight that comes with it. Some girls are actually using 3U lol ..

11. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

I made some measurements comparing the weight and balance points of the Voltric 80, Voltric 70 and Armortec 900 in their 3U and 4U specs and found that the lighter 4U ones all have a marginally higher balance point than the overall heavier 3U ones of the same racquets. I made the conclusion that the 4U racquets actually have the same amount of material in the frame as the 3U racquets while the weight difference is mostly I'm the lighter shaft, therefore explaining the higher balance point with yet lighter overall weight. This is also true for the 2U and 3U racquet models.

The main reason I believe the lighter versions are warranted at 1lb lower max tension is mostly due to the logical fact that more less-experienced players will be buying and using the lighter versions and due to their technique, more mishaps will happen when they play and chances of breakage and consequent claims for replacement will ensue. Thus the lower warranted max tension is for deterring these people from stringing too high tensions and also recommending them to take more care while playing.

Otherwise for the more advanced players, the lower weight is really mostly the same as the heavier version while the choice to use the lighter version is for technical purposes as it is marginally less easy to tire out as quick as using the heavier version.

12. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    4u

Bro, do u mean 4u even is lighter in overall but with frame weight maintain therefore it's coz head more heavy.

So 4u ve heavier head than 3u

13. Blitzzards

Scientifically speaking, yes.

14. yurimaster2010

Consultant
    Which the tolerance 5g comes from 4u n 3u was actually contribute by the wood or handle? Which can be water content in it...

15. avengers88

Sometimes, the 4U and 3U racket difference in weight is not exactly 5g, at times it could be like 2-3g . If im not mistaken, the weight is actually in the handle.

16. Badmintan

Badmintan Regular Member

http://www.kumpoo.com/company/4u.html

A perspective from a racquet manufacturer:

Quote,' The weight, balance, and flex of the racket change your swing. If you could create a racket that covered all of these but with the weight of 4U, your swing speed would dramatically increase, along with other advantages. '

17. Blitzzards

Since the racquets are all weighed as a whole (including wooden handle) before being grouped and labelled into their respective weight categories, it may be possible that the main weight difference is all contributed by the wooden handle which in fact is the most variable component due to moisture content and also density (wood taken from different parts of a tree will have minor different densities due to the way the tree grows) as hypothesised. The graphite parts of the racquet will always be more consistent especially in overall composition and weight.

Even though the only way to prove this is to remove the wooden handle and then weigh each racquet, this is still nonetheless interesting information.

18. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

And what were the weight differences between 3 and 4U's. From my observations it's quite a consistent difference so to conclude it is due to differences in the wooden handle doesn't really add up. The weight differences should be all over that 5-10 gr. range ...

19. Blitzzards

You certainly have a point, my measurements were indeed consistently ranged. Although from my experience in having owned solid body guitars (consisting of near 90% wood) some of even the same model, these guitars also have very consistent weights and do not exceed 0.5lbs from each other. Learning from luthiers, I was told that the aging and conditioning process of wood can allow them to be made consistent in weight and structure. I would not think that the wooden handles made by Yonex would not have gone through a similar conditioning process given Yonex's strict QC (which is ISO9000 certified by the way) and made consistent.

Thus the only way to be totally sure of where the weight difference between weight ranges is contributed to is to separate each component of a racquet and weigh them individually which no one has yet attempted. Otherwise from my measurements the lighter U racquets have a consistently higher balance point which gives a head heavier feel, even though the amount of frame material could very well be the same.

20. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Hmm... Although I'm looking at the VT70. I'm still deciding between waiting for the store to have the 3U, or go for the 4U right away.

I'm currently using a NS9900 3U. And started out mostly as a defense player. But now I'm slowly moving towards being more of an offense player, as well as wanting to start playing more Singles. Not all the time, but definitely more than before.

Any input on whether I should go for a 4U or a 3U? Is the loss in power in a 4U really that much compared to a 3U? I'm sure it'd still be slower and more powerful than a NS9900 3U?