string

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by macs8703, Apr 20, 2003.

1. macs8703

macs8703 Regular Member

Student
    i'm getting a new racquet but i have heard that it comes with not so good string (bigredlemon).

i'm wondering now what kind of string i should get and if anyone knows where i could get it.

i consider myself a pretty good player, i'm on the varsity team at my high school and we have to play miller place (i'm sure some of you know why that sucks)

i am a singles player and i just try to make my opponent run a lot.

the new racquet i am getting is a Black Knight Carbo-Knight (703)
    the frame is 90 gm. it is 67 cm long. flexible graphite shaft with continuous one piece head and shaft. the current string is lonfibre SX21 with 17-20 lb tension.

i am looking for something with a lot of durability (i tend to get angry) and good control characteristics.

2. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Automotive Service Technician Apprentice and Colle
    If your looking for something that's durable, then don't get the Yonex Muscle Power Series because I have heard bad things about that line of racket. Lack of durability being one of them.

Tare Panda

3. badrad

badrad Regular Member

currently unemployed
    if you want durability the Black Knight Lonfibre will last as long as the racquet. But plays like crap because it is a cheap thick general purpose string, and rumor has it's tough enough you can even use that lonfibre string to tie up lumber garbage in a pinch, but not as if I tired (heheheh).

For all around playability, cost and durability the YY BG 65 is still great string to use. Lots of people dis it in favour of the higher end strings but this string still comes up holding it's own.

4. Traum

Traum Regular Member

I would suggest either Yonex BG-70 Pro or any of the Yonex BG Ti strings.

I've used the BG-70 Pro before for well over a year, playing at least 3 times a week (2 - 3 hours each time). This string can take so much punishment that I was totally amazed. Over the course of 1+ year, my rigourous playing schedule couldn't manage to cause any visible wear on the strings. It also offers some good power (though not as much as BG-80) and a crisp sound upon impact.

The BG Ti strings should also be a very good choice for a frequent string breaker such as yourself. I've played with both BG-65 Ti and 68 Ti before, and both strings offer more punch on the hard-hit shots (i.e. smashes, clears, drives) than BG-70 Pro. My personal gripe with the Ti strings is that the string itself is very hard, and it offers very little feel. As a result, I find it very difficult, if not impossible, to play the more delicate shots (drops and net play).

-Rick

5. LoveJoy

LoveJoy Regular Member

badrad is right about Yonex's BG 65...at least in North America, it has been the standard for the past many many years. Another one you may want to consider is Ashaway's Micro Legend....lasts longer than BG 65 and just as much "feel" .

6. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

I'd have to agree with BG65. When I was a beginner that was the string they used to string my racquet (That's when I thought a string was just a string, cmon).

I highly suggest it. And if you string it at optimal ranges (~20lbs), then it most likely won't break on you, just fray after months (Depends on your play).

7. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Longfiber doesn't play like crap because it's a cheap thick general purpose string. I've used cheaper and thicker strings before and they were much better. Lonfiber sucks because
    1. the string is stiff like a cheap plastic toy's plastic. Instead of being like a string, it "caves in" in sections of string, giving awful power and control.
    2. they logo they paint on actually uses real paint... as in spray-can paint. It forms a hard shell around the string, making it even harder to bend.
    1+2= string that feels like steel wires with a couple of flex points.

Your racquet looks geared towards lots of power, so I think you should capitalize on that. I'd recommend bg68 ti... it's reasonably durable and packs quite a punch. String it at 20 lb. This should give you a powerful smash without having to worry much about breakage.

If you do find that you are breaking the string often and want to go a cheaper route, then try bg 65 next. That's what i would do.

btw: some people say ti strings are stiff... but they are alot softer than the string you are using. The price difference between 68ti and 65 for me is $3 so unless you need to restring often, the extra $3 is worth it. For a heavy and flexible racquet, i'd say you'll get more out of a repulsive string than a softer string.

#7 bigredlemon, Apr 20, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 20, 2003
  8. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Yeah. BG65 is alright for the beginning. And like you said, it does fray after a couple months.

Tare Panda

9. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    The problem in New York, price for string is not the big factor, is the labor cost will kill us. In my previous "research", I could not find too many stringers in NY, and the price is as high as $28 for BG65!

About 5 months ago, I bought my own string machine, and so far did about 10-15 rackets for myself and friends with relatively cheaper charge. Depend on the string, I usually just charge about $10-$15, with several deals for even free labor to my friends.

I usually use BG65(0.7mm, $6), BG68Ti (0.68mm, $10) and Gosen B505Ti (0.68mm, $5). The number is the string (with a little bit more due to S+H). I generally, just double that for the entire charge. You can contact me, see if u need to re-string ur racket in the near future.

10. Yodums

Yodums Regular Member

Re: Re: string

Wow, and I thought 30.00 CAD (20USD) at some places in Ontario was expensive. I guess that after 15 racquets you saved quite alot of money that can compensate for your stringing machine. Did anyone teach you how to string racquets or did you have to read some kind of book? Sorry for that newbie question. Might apply for a job in the summer to be a stringer or something.

11. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Re: Re: Re: string

Well, everything in NY is expensive. Yeah, after these 10-15 rackets I did, I really saved some $$$ for myself and friends (especially those close ones, who got FREE labor from me, :D ). Another bonus is, both me and them now feel more freely to "try out" various of strings, since the cost is less than 1/3 as we going outside.

As about learning stringing, I got a lot of useful information from this great site, special thanks to "badrad", "jwu", as well as many others (sorry, can't remember everyone who gives great help). Also, I read posts online, as well as my user guide. 1st one or two rackets gave me a little bit trouble, but as the amount build up, experience grows as well. Now days, I can finish a racket (20-24 lb range) in less than 1.5 hrs while watching DVDs with my friends.

One suggestion is, before charging big $$$ for ppl, get some crappy rackets for some practice. Get to know the tension, and know the machine u using. This way, won't dmg. pricy rackets on the 1st shot. As about myself, I used a $10 cheap racket and some junk strings for several "demo" run, before I started real work on my own rackets.

12. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Ashaway wouldn't be a bad choice.

There was one Gosen string I tried which was also pretty good, I think it was Roots. It lasted longer than BG65 and a 'different' feel. Not saying better or worse than BG65, just different. Depends if there is a supply in your area.

13. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer

If that's Roots, I believe that's B505.

Not sure how B505Ti compare with the original B505, but at least I found B505Ti (the most I used for my string job) seems to be a good combo of power + control + price (tested on MM90 22* 24 for about 3 months already). The only draw back is, for long time yonex users, u might first find B505Ti is a little bit more "bouncy". However, after several hrs, u should be able to get used to it, and start to love it.

14. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

I'm in Ontario, Canada and I wanna get a string machine too. Where did you find your's and how much did you pay for it?

Tare Panda

15. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I am using Klipper M140. Got it including shippng for around USD$165.

www.klipperusa.com

However, there seems have better deal in Eagnas? Not very sure. U can check

www.eagnas.com

16. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

Hey, that's not bad. Around 240+ CAD. And where did you learn how to string badminton rackets?

Tare Panda

17. tarepanda

tarepanda Regular Member

I just found out that i have to pay 50 USD for shipping. The string machine is 145 so that comes to 300 bucks. I guess I'll have to look for one that I can get in Canada. Anyone that knows any site's that are from Canada please tell me, or better yet any ones that are from Ontario. Thanks.

Tare Panda

18. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    In the package, they have step by step instructions. However, that's for tennis. The only difference is the "throat" area, just do the opposite way.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    That much in shipping???

Wow... Well, maybe u can try Eagnas then. Their machine is only USD$69, but not sure about quality on this model (Hawk 15). Not sure whether Klipper or Eagnas has any dealers in CAN or not.