Getting used to a new racket AT900T

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by jilin74, Apr 29, 2011.

1. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

Hi all, I have played with AT500 for quite a few years and really love it. It has great smashing power and good control. Unfortunately, AT500 has been discontinued by Yonex so I need to get used to something else.

I bought a AT900T since it has similar parameters as the AT500; it is head heavy (though pt 7 vs pt 8 for AT500), stiff and offensive. I tried Voltrics, ArcSaber 10 and AT900P, but finally decided to get a AT900T.

However, it seems that I can't really get the smashing power out of AT900T (after almost a month of play with it). Every other shot seems to be ok, just that I don't have the same feeling of the right speed (slower) when the racket hits the shuttle when smashing. I can hit clear from back to back ok, but it feels that I need more effort than when playing with AT500.

I have read Loopy's expert post on shaft stiffness and back swing. http://www.badmintoncentral.com/forums/showthread.php/40187-Shaft-stiffness-flexibility-explained. However, on paper AT500 and AT900T are supposed to be both stiff though AT900T feels stiffer to me.

Any advice how I can improve my smashing power with AT900T?

Thanks!

2. druss

druss Regular Member

What string are you using? That will also have an impact.

3. ddt668

ddt668 Regular Member

I had same issue but was resolved after I switched to BG80/24pbl.:)

4. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

I am using BG80 with 26 lbs, the same as before.

5. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

funny thing is that I saw on some website that Yonex says it recommends NG95 or NG98 for AT900T, you think that could be the issue?

6. druss

druss Regular Member

No, they are just trying to promote their "high end" expensive strings.

When is the last time you had the at500 strung? If the at900t is stiffer then you may be having trouble bending the shaft during your swing.

7. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

I strung both at500 and at900t around the same time, by the same person and both at 26 lbs. In the beginning, I just assumed that I had to get used to at900t. But unfortunately, I still have not got used to it when it comes to smash.

8. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    There's a limit to which we can answer this question. We can talk about all the equipment and tensions we want but it's most likely technique. I know it's very tempting to think that equipment will make all the difference in the world, but if you've already got an AT900T with BG 80 at 26 lbs (could be a little high, but I can't say until I've watched you play), the equipment changes won't make the significant difference that you're looking for.

If you could post a video if you just doing smashing practice with a partner, I think we'll be able to get a much better idea of how to help you =)

9. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    i don't think i've ever had a problem switching racquets, just that i prefer a certain feel of racquet, but to say a racquet doesn't generate smashing power is completely bonkers, as blaming the equipment is...well unreal. Check your swing with either video footage or have someone professional or atleast better than you look at it.

10. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

What you said won't be as completely bonkers if I never could smash. Fact is though, and you would have known it if you have taken the time to read my original post, that I had a pretty hard smash using the several AT500 that I have. But I don't have the same smash using the new AT900T. That can't be simply explained by my technique not being correct.

I know there are people who can pick up any racket and play their game, but there are also plenty of people who are more sensitive to the equipment, as evidenced by some posts on this very forum.

11. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

IIRC... The AT900T is head heavy and is more repulsive in Yonex charting... Could it be that the AT500 has more hold and you're just not used to it?

12. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

Hi Woozy, thanks for that info. Can you explain a bit more? Meaning that using AT900T, the shuttle leaves the racket faster? Hence more repulsive? How does one adjust for that?

13. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    So you're saying the racquet is robbing your power? highly doubt it. ITS NEVER THE EQUIPMENT. in the end, your timing is probably off. I too used to use an AT500, you know the light blue one? old school. Then moved onto an AT700 and then now finally AT900P.

#13 XtC-604, May 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 9, 2011
  14. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

Well, would not go as far as saying the racket robbing my power. I can do everything else just fine with this racket (as a matter of fact, driving and net drop are improved), except smashing. It could be timing. I guess I posted my question because right now I have no idea what else I should do trying to adjust to it after a month or so trying, timing of course could very well be one of them.

15. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

The hold and repulsiveness of the racquet is really affected by your smashing swing speed I think.... I might get grilled for my interpretation but here it goes...

More repulsive is more defense oriented racquets... It makes defense easier because the bird leaves the string bed faster... But for attack, a heavy smasher would need more time to generate power... Thus a racquet with more hold would be easier... Because with heavy smashers, our wind up is bigger (hence slower) but we generate more power...

As a heavy smasher myself... I have not been able to compensate for that... Hence, I'm using AT900P :p

If my theory is correct, to compensate for that, you must improve your swing speed....

16. jilin74

jilin74 Regular Member

I was looking for a AT700. But the dealer at my club offers only AT900. I tried both AT900T and P, but feels that T has better control than P. Maybe I should retry the AT900P.

17. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    that doesn't really make much sense in my mind, if your racquet has high repulsiveness, how does that have a negative bearing on smashing power? i mean theoretically the most powerful smash would be transferring the most amount of force into the shuttle in the fastest time possible. IE you want IMPULSE to be HIGH. If the racquet has a high "repulsiveness" then what trouble could that cause? actually i guess what i'm trying to say is, repulsiveness is a necessity for a strong smash is it not?

18. WoOZY

WoOZY Regular Member

If the racquet is of the high repulsiveness variety... It leaves the racquet sooo quickly that the player hasn't had time to complete their smash... So it depends on the player's smashing technique...

19. urameatball

urameatball Regular Member

Photographer
    ^^
    so you're saying the racquet is way too good for him?
    yeah, I think so too :D
    please feel free to donate the racquet to me.

20. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    So its not a swing speed issue, its a supination issue... basically what you're saying is that his level of play and stroke doesn't have the required form and speed yet?