Thread: US Open 2011 news/rumors
06-20-2011, 07:05 AM #18
06-20-2011, 03:12 PM #19
these are the notable entries... wow. very good turn out. i cannot make for the finals as that's Brandon's birthday. but am thinking maybe i will do Thu/Fri....
Taufik Hidayat (INA)
Boonsak Ponsana (THA)
Chen Jin (CHN)
Bao Chunlai (CHN)
Tine Baun (DEN)
Eriko Hirose (JPN)
Ratchanok Inthanon (THA)
Lu Lan (CHN)
Lee Sheng Mu / Fang Chieh Min (TPE)
Lee Yong Dae / Ko Sung Hyun (KOR)
Tony Gunawan / Howard Bach (USA)
Cheng Wen Hsing / Chien Yu Chin (TPE)
Satoko Suetsana / Miyuki Maeda (JPN)
Ha Jung Eun / Kim Min Jung (KOR)
Cheng Shu / Bao Yixin (CHN)
Sudket / Saralee (THA)
Lee Cheng Mu / Chien Yu Chin (TPE)
Shintaro Ikeda / Reiko Shiota (JPN)
06-20-2011, 03:26 PM #20
Lee is playing with Ko ??? or is it a typo ?
06-20-2011, 03:27 PM #21
06-20-2011, 03:34 PM #22
Chen Jin, Bao Chunlai, Taufik, Boonsak, Tien Minh Nguyen, Lan Lu, Wang Lin, Tine Baun, Eriko Hirose, Ai Goto, Porntip, Ratchanok Inthanon, Japanese top 4 WD pair, Taiwanese top WD pair, Fang/Lee, Howard/Tony, Lee Yong Dae/Sung Hyun Ko, Baek Chol Shin/Kang Ji Kook (Runner up in World Jrs for MS), Thailand's top MX pair, Nathan Robertson/Jenny Wallwork, Baek Chol Shin/Kim Min Jung, Chieh Min Lee/Yu Chin Chien, Lee Yong Dae/Jung Eun Ha. Just some of the big names...
Barring any withdrawals of course.
Last edited by CantSmashThis; 06-20-2011 at 03:44 PM.
06-20-2011, 03:42 PM #23
Btw, good news. It looks like Lee Hock Lai has recovered from his injury, and will be able to play @ OCBC.
06-20-2011, 03:55 PM #24
CantSmashThis, are you umpiring ?
06-20-2011, 03:59 PM #25
Don't think so on this one Didn't get an invite. Hopefully I can find a way down to watch though.
06-21-2011, 03:22 AM #26
Of course, this yr the hope is all the players who've registered will actually come and play (no withdrawals). If they do, then the organizer is banking on their presence to sell off the tickets and have a full house for the majority of the week.
Personally, i haven't seen a packed house from Day 1 or 2 til the Finals in the past 10 U.S. Open tourneys i've been to..Maybe this is the yr??..
This will be the 2nd ever visit to the U.S. for competition for some of these players (i'd say "Welcome back!"):
- Boonsak Ponsana (after 2005 WC)
- Nguyen Tien Minh (afer 2007 US GP)
- Miyuki Maeda & Satoko Suetsuna (WD winners at 2007 US Open GP)
- Eriko Hirose (2nd visit after 2005 WC)
- Tai TY (one of limsy' fave WS players is back)<<<<
- Salakjit Ponsana (after 2005 WC)
- MD winners and runners-up of last yr's U.S. Open, from CHN TPE, are back
- The veteran Anthony Clark is back
- Alvent Yulianto (?) (after 2005 WC)
- Nova Widianto (?) (after 2005 WC)
- Michael Fuchs and Birgit Michels (Overzier) are back to defend their XD title
- Kevin Cordon is back
- Rajiv Ouseph is back to defend his MS title
- Brice Leverdez is back and hopefully will bring a bigger cheering contingency
- Reiko Shiota (after the 2005 WC) <<<<< i'm gonna go out on a limb and just mention she will be one of the biggest if not the biggest draws to this tourney...
And these are the 1st timers to compete in the U.S. (may i say "Welcome to sunny California!")
- Lu Lan
- Li Xuerui (suetyan's sister)<<<<
- Misaki Matsutomo (last yr's WJC WS runner-up & suetyan's and phil-mm's hands-down fave JPN WS player; wish if she would play WS)<<<<
- Ratchanok Inthanon (last yr's WJC WS winner & 2nd visit to the American continent after last yr's WJC down in Mexico)
- Wang Lin (her 1st visit to the U.S. to compete & 4th tourney back after her recent knee injury & operation)
- Tine Baun (after cancelling out from last yr's U.S. Open)
- Tian Houwei (2009 WJC MS champ)
- Tommy Sugiarto (i wonder if he's traveling in the same plane as Taufik? I know Taufik had a brief disagreement with his dad a few yrs back. I wonder if they've come to good terms?)
- Kenichi Tago (?)
- Hendra AG
- Cheng Su and Bao Yixin and another CHN junior WD pair
- Vita Marissa
- The MS squad players from India
..there must be a couple other players who i've missed from the list; please fill me in..
Last edited by ctjcad; 06-21-2011 at 03:34 AM.
06-21-2011, 04:10 AM #27
..i have a feeling we won't be seeing Wang Lin compete in both the U.S. Open and Canada Open, unfortunately..just saw pics of her in pain during the S'pore Open..
06-21-2011, 04:16 AM #28
Wow, this year USA Open for sure will be the best among the years!
06-21-2011, 05:12 AM #29
Oh, yes, Lee Yong Dae (this will be his 2nd visit to the U.S. for a tourney) after a 6-7 yrs absence when he came as a junior..Welcome back, Sundae Lee!
And first timer Li Gen (Li Yongbo's son), who will compete for the 1st time in the U.S..
06-21-2011, 05:18 AM #30
06-21-2011, 06:11 AM #31
06-21-2011, 06:18 AM #32
06-21-2011, 06:26 AM #33
^^it's should've been..^^
"sister"..but we'll wait for suetyan to explain to us all (if she wants to)..
06-21-2011, 07:30 AM #34
By miksss in forum Thailand / Singapore / Indonesia Open 2011Replies: 298: 08-06-2011, 10:11 PM
By ctjcad in forum Russian / US / Canadian / Vietnam Open 2011Replies: 231: 07-20-2011, 03:53 PM
By samkool in forum Bay Badminton Center ( BBC )Replies: 72: 12-09-2007, 09:51 PM