Developing strategy and tactic?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by malaysianfreak, May 1, 2011.

1. malaysianfreak

malaysianfreak Regular Member

student
    Halo everyone since a few weeks ago i been on a very very very bad losing streak in singles...i lsot 5 games and won none yesterday during my training session ...
    my results>> no game point only time limit 13-14(lost) 13-14(lost) 9-14 (lost ) 9-17(lost to my senior) 3-17 (lost to a senior) last week i also on a losing streak 21-23(lost ) 9-11 (lost) 20-22 (lost )

in all those games i realized that i am usually ahead starting at least then i have trouble catching up with the pace and ended up losing... so i think it;s best for me to adopt strategies for my game! well i usually start my games in this sequence
    opponen high serve > i smash > he blocks > i lift > then i lost my rhytm ...so any help towards my strategy? what is the best strategy for singles?i know putting pressure onto your opponents footwork but how?? please teach me =)!

:) ~ freak

2. visor

visor Regular Member

quite simple in singles... just keep pushing to all four corners, especially backhand, then kill when you get a chance

3. malaysianfreak

student
    pushing in the sense of lifts and netplay?

4. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Stop using the smash as a return of serve. The smash is good if you can hit a winner, or if you can get to the net fast enough to play an aggresive shot next. But if you're smashing then lifting, you're using a lot of energy running forwards while your opponent gets to stand still in the middle of the court.

For return of serve, try either a clear or a (fast) drop shot. Force the opponent to move either backwards or forwards.

5. 7SamuraiX

7SamuraiX Regular Member

for what reason do you lose your rhythm? Also, try to have several patterns of shots so if one gets old you can use others.
    Sticking to the same pattern make your shots predictable and the opponent can anticipate the shots and mess up your pace

6. tcgien

tcgien Regular Member

in single , dont simply smash especially opponent just purposely lift a high ball for u to smash... smash only when opponent in a mess...
    tht why u see lcw vs ld rarely smash unless at a very advantage position.

7. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    When visor says push your opponents to all four corners, he means to simply move your opponent around the court - to all four corners AND the sides.
    Overhead: hit clears and drops more than smashes. As alexh said, you want your first shot and every subsequent shot to MOVE your opponent - make them get there. Smashing means your opponents don't have to go anywhere -unless you can hit the lines often - which is difficult - OR you smash once you have moved them away from the middle first - this is easier.
    When you are at the net: don't just lift. Use net shots, use lifts, use drives and pushes.

If you are capable of covering the court properly afterwards, remember to use a good mix of cross court and straight shots. Cross court shots must be very accurate - within 2 feet of the lines.

Those are some shots to use that can MOVE your opponents. Use sequences: play a net shot to bring them forwards, then hit a lift to the back tramlines to move them back. Then bring them forwards, then sideways etc etc. If your opponent can cope with all this, then you are either not playing the shots well enough, or not moving well enough, OR your opponent is better than the "make the move" tactics, and you need to start really working hard tactically.

Good luck for your games.

Matt

8. pBmMalaysia

pBmMalaysia Regular Member

badminton coach
    You got a good number of replies here which are very good actually in helping you to look into your game plan:)

However, I keep wondering why you didn't seek advise from your coach

or you don't have one and you are training with you buddies?

Also, your level of skills dictate your strategies and tactic :D

9. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks all for the replies ! it seems that the smash is really overrated ...kinda think of it i rarely use other shots that smashes ....i think i have to adopt more clears ! oh and thinking of things that i rarely use in badminton...when to use the panhandle shot? i never ever used this grip...and when your enemy uses a backhand push ...i find it hard to find enough space to do a backhand action even if i do the shot is usually going to the side and going out...where am i going wrong =(...

PBM : yeah i do have a coach it'sRm60 a month i should ask more questions but i am kinda shy ...=P

10. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    From what you wrote you should take note on the skills your coach teaches.

They are all very important and will form the backbone of your game plan.

If in doubt always ask!

A combinations of a few skill will form a tactical plan

and when you run out of it during your game,

you tend to get lost:D

One way to get your focus back is to play defensive

and play safe.

11. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks pbm for the support! =) i should start asking my coach ya...since i am the one paying =3

12. malaysianfreak

student
    oh ... one last question!! (sorry if ask too much ) if....the shuttle reach to the midcourt what shot should you do? since it's club level the shots do tend to go to the midocurt quite often ...in this situation i usually smash ...but the shuttle always hit the net when i smash in the midcourt ...is the way you smash in the midcourt different when smashing at the rearcourt?

13. indrato

indrato Regular Member

Its the same, just different angle. If you often hit a net when you smash, perhaps your smashing technique is not good or you are too late to smash causing impact point lower. One other thing that ussually happen is you get too excited because of the shuttle is too easy so you try to smash hard and making your smash angle too steep so it ended up on the net.

14. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks indrato ...i think i get to pump up when the shuttle goes mid court ....making stupid errors...

15. pBmMalaysia

badminton coach
    Post 13 is absolutely correct and to add :

It's not necessary to use all your strength to smash mid court shuttle,

instead you should take it early

and do body shot if your opponent is around mid court area.

If they (their back) are somewhere near the long service line,

use steep angle smash or disguised drop :)

All above skills mentioned are to be used depending on positions of your opponents

and wrong usage could be disastrous :D

16. malaysianfreak

student
    kays thanks pbm find the higher contact point ....

17. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    The best strategy is to not let your opponent get comfortable: the most important part about that is mental. If you have a set pattern, they will be comfortable, knowing what will come next. If you ever notice a pattern that is not working for you, change it up. But here are some things that might help:

1) In singles, smashing is much more risky than in doubles: If you don't get the angle right or if you don't recover quickly enough, they could completely counter with a good cross drop. Make sure you can recover (in terms of footwork) quickly after your smash and that you have a good angle. If not, don't force the smash: there are many other shot options.

2) Try attacking their backhand corner.

3) When you run out of energy, remember that a drop takes the least amount of energy to hit and yet can still get you good results. Work on your drops.

4) For every situation, you should always make sure you have more than one shot choice. If they attack your backhand, make sure you have enough room to hit straight and also turn more to hit a cross if they are expecting your straight shot.

5) Don't always rush your shots: It is more important in singles to hit it to the right place than to hit it hard. Try to get a general idea of where your opponent is before you hit it. If you can't, then try to make your shots either a good, high, deep clear to buy time and energy or a solid drop so they have to clear to you.

18. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks hiriousike ! hmm saying about drops where is best to place the drop? oh and why some of my drops cant make it throuhgt the net? i had a 10minit game yesterday and so so many of my drops hit the net and a few nearly pass throught but hit the tapers ...nealy all failed to pass through =(

19. hiroisuke

hiroisuke Regular Member

Student
    The best place to drop is where your opponent is not. =P

In all seriousness though...

If your opponents are side-side and no one is too forward, aim for the middle.

If your opponent is in the middle, aim for the corners.

To practice drops, first aim for the tape. If it keeps hitting the tape, aim higher until your drops go over. If they get too high and they can be attacked, aim lower. You'll have to figure this one out by practice, muscle memory, and memorizing the location of the bird when you hit it + technique of your drops.

20. malaysianfreak

student
    thanks hiriouske! aim for the empty spot ya ...kays!