User Tag List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Hold still when opponent is serving?

Sometimes when playing someone who has a predictable serve (e.g. serves 99% short from the backhand side), I wait for the server to set up, and make a menacing step forward before he actually makes the serve. This move occurs before my opponent stroking the shuttle. A friend pointed out that one must hold still when an opponent is serving and that making a move results in an automatic point loss. However, I can't seem to find any reference to such a rule. Can anyone clarify whether it's illegal and point me to the corresponding rule?
    Thanks in advance!

Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

the beginning of the serve commences at the first forward movement of the server's racket. in between that time and the server's racket contact with the shuttlecock, the receive cannot move his feet. your body can move as long as your feet are firmly planted on the ground during that time.

after the server's racket hits the shuttlecock, then you are of course free to move anyway.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rule states that both your feet must be on the ground when the server starts his motion not just when he makes contact with the shuttle. Keep in mind13.4.5 though which talks about deliberately distracting your opponent which is what you're doing.

So not only is it a fault but imo poor sportsmanship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

The rule states that both your feet must be on the ground when the server starts his motion not just when he makes contact with the shuttle. Keep in mind 13.4.5 though which talks about deliberately distracting your opponent which is what you're doing.

So not only is it a fault but imo poor sportsmanship.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks for the reply, that clarifies it. I had to re-read 9.1.3 several times before noticing that the receiver is also mentioned in it

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for the double post, my tablet froze when I hit reply....

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I've had a recent discussion about this with other umpires. This is what we came out with:

From the start of the service (forward movement of the racket), until the serve is delivered (when the racket contacts the shuttle), some part of both feet must be in a stationary position with the ground. So your arms and body can move forward, or you can lift your heel, as long as some part of your feet are still in a stationary position.

Law 9.1.3 Some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Yakimych View Post
    ... one must hold still when an opponent is serving and that making a move results in an automatic point loss. However, I can't seem to find any reference to such a rule. Can anyone clarify whether it's illegal and point me to the corresponding rule?
    The laws pertaining to legal services are given on pp 8 of the handbook that was published June 2010, check this out here.

To reiterate what others have replied, service is started by the server, when s/he moves the racquet head forward and is completed when the racquet hits the shuttle.

The official phrase is "Fault - Receiver," and is said by the umpire if there is one for that match. The receiver loses that point due to illegal movement, only if the service was delivered illegally. If that was the last point of the game or set, then receiver also looses that game or match. When the server also commits a fault on serve, then it will be played as a let.

This is only with regard to having stationary contact with court. The receiver may prefer to dance with his body, sway his/her racquet, as long as the feet maintain stationary contact. This will not violate the service laws, however it may be considered distracting the server, and in club matches, this may seem amusing, however in tournament, this may be warned, or faulted if the behaviour is persistent.

The other aspect of the situation you described is what happens when the server completes the service, but fluffs the serve and the shuttle lands in the net. But this is for another thread.
    Last edited by 2wheels04; 05-06-2011 at 12:51 PM.

Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by 2wheels04 View Post
    The other aspect of the situation you described is what happens when the server completes the service, but fluffs the serve and the shuttle lands in the net. But this is for another thread.
    if there is a fault before the shuttle hits the net, the whomever faulted loses the point. Not complicated at all.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kwun View Post
    the beginning of the serve commences at the first forward movement of the server's racket. in between that time and the server's racket contact with the shuttlecock, the receive cannot move his feet. your body can move as long as your feet are firmly planted on the ground during that time.

after the server's racket hits the shuttlecock, then you are of course free to move anyway.
    does that means I'm not allowed to be on my toes while serving? I've been a few comp with no complaints so far...

Mentioned
    100 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by ikcud View Post
    does that means I'm not allowed to be on my toes while serving? I've been a few comp with no complaints so far...
    that's fine... although it will cause you to be unsteady and not properly balanced to receive the 2nd shot, ie. the reply from the receiver

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    that's fine... although it will cause you to be unsteady and not properly balanced to receive the 2nd shot, ie. the reply from the receiver
    I usually have a bad consistency when leaving my feet flat while serving some reason. I've done this to gain a few centimeters of height haha. I always split step to anticipate the next shot. I've never had the trouble of having to clear it.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And to add to this, until the start of the racket's movement, you can still move around and lose balance. If there is no service delivered, there is no receiver fault which is what I found out this past weekend.