Hold still when opponent is serving?

Discussion in 'Rules / Tournament Regulation / Officiating' started by Yakimych, May 1, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Yakimych

Yakimych New Member

Software developer
    Sometimes when playing someone who has a predictable serve (e.g. serves 99% short from the backhand side), I wait for the server to set up, and make a menacing step forward before he actually makes the serve. This move occurs before my opponent stroking the shuttle. A friend pointed out that one must hold still when an opponent is serving and that making a move results in an automatic point loss. However, I can't seem to find any reference to such a rule. Can anyone clarify whether it's illegal and point me to the corresponding rule?
    Thanks in advance!

2. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    the beginning of the serve commences at the first forward movement of the server's racket. in between that time and the server's racket contact with the shuttlecock, the receive cannot move his feet. your body can move as long as your feet are firmly planted on the ground during that time.

after the server's racket hits the shuttlecock, then you are of course free to move anyway.

3. druss

druss Regular Member

The rule states that both your feet must be on the ground when the server starts his motion not just when he makes contact with the shuttle. Keep in mind13.4.5 though which talks about deliberately distracting your opponent which is what you're doing.

So not only is it a fault but imo poor sportsmanship.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

The rule states that both your feet must be on the ground when the server starts his motion not just when he makes contact with the shuttle. Keep in mind 13.4.5 though which talks about deliberately distracting your opponent which is what you're doing.

So not only is it a fault but imo poor sportsmanship.

5. Yakimych

Yakimych New Member

Software developer
    Thanks for the reply, that clarifies it. I had to re-read 9.1.3 several times before noticing that the receiver is also mentioned in it ;)

6. druss

druss Regular Member

Sorry for the double post, my tablet froze when I hit reply....

7. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

I've had a recent discussion about this with other umpires. This is what we came out with:

From the start of the service (forward movement of the racket), until the serve is delivered (when the racket contacts the shuttle), some part of both feet must be in a stationary position with the ground. So your arms and body can move forward, or you can lift your heel, as long as some part of your feet are still in a stationary position.

Law 9.1.3 Some part of both feet of the server and the receiver shall remain in contact with the surface of the court in a stationary position from the start of the service (Law 9.2) until the service is delivered (Law 9.3);

8. 2wheels04

2wheels04 Regular Member

The laws pertaining to legal services are given on pp 8 of the handbook that was published June 2010, check this out here.

To reiterate what others have replied, service is started by the server, when s/he moves the racquet head forward and is completed when the racquet hits the shuttle.

The official phrase is "Fault - Receiver," and is said by the umpire if there is one for that match. The receiver loses that point due to illegal movement, only if the service was delivered illegally. If that was the last point of the game or set, then receiver also looses that game or match. When the server also commits a fault on serve, then it will be played as a let.

This is only with regard to having stationary contact with court. The receiver may prefer to dance with his body, sway his/her racquet, as long as the feet maintain stationary contact. This will not violate the service laws, however it may be considered distracting the server, and in club matches, this may seem amusing, however in tournament, this may be warned, or faulted if the behaviour is persistent.

The other aspect of the situation you described is what happens when the server completes the service, but fluffs the serve and the shuttle lands in the net. But this is for another thread.

#8 2wheels04, May 6, 2011
    Last edited: May 6, 2011
  9. amleto

amleto Regular Member

if there is a fault before the shuttle hits the net, the whomever faulted loses the point. Not complicated at all.

10. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    does that means I'm not allowed to be on my toes while serving? I've been a few comp with no complaints so far...

11. visor

visor Regular Member

that's fine... although it will cause you to be unsteady and not properly balanced to receive the 2nd shot, ie. the reply from the receiver

12. ikcud

ikcud Regular Member

student
    I usually have a bad consistency when leaving my feet flat while serving some reason. I've done this to gain a few centimeters of height haha. I always split step to anticipate the next shot. I've never had the trouble of having to clear it.

13. CantSmashThis

CantSmashThis Regular Member

And to add to this, until the start of the racket's movement, you can still move around and lose balance. If there is no service delivered, there is no receiver fault which is what I found out this past weekend.

14. Lakshminarayan

Lakshminarayan New Member

Is it mandatory that the partner of the receiver also has to still?.. Can he move around while the service is done?

15. phihag

phihag Regular Member

No, the partners of both server and receiver are free to move around anywhere they like, provided they
    • stay on court (§16.5.2). Note that in this sense, court is not marked by any lines; it's roughly the area of the (usually green) court mat.
    • do not deliberately distract the opponent (§13.4.5)
    • do not unsight the opposing server/receiver (§9.5).
    Note that this is an area rife with common misconceptions among many low-level players - just two days ago, someone told me they thought the partner had to stay in their half of the court. There is no explicit law allowing the partners to move, it's just not forbidden.

#15 phihag, Jan 2, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 2, 2018
    stradrider likes this.
  16. visor

visor Regular Member

TBH, who was partnering LYD in the India PBL yesterday, was just faulted for moving just as service was delivered by Boe to LYD who was receiving.

17. phihag

phihag Regular Member

Is there a video recording of this incident?

PBL is a private league, not an official BWF one. Therefore, they are free to add their own laws. But I'd by very much surprised if they added laws that specific.

18. visor

visor Regular Member

Start at 2:11, when score was 5-2 for LYD/TBH. Also watch the slow mo after.

Cheung likes this.
  19. stradrider

stradrider Regular Member

OMG! Definitely incorrect call by the umpire. They should have called referee to challenge the umpire's interpretation of the law. That is exactly the case when players should do it...

stanleyfm and phihag like this.
  20. phihag

phihag Regular Member

This is as clear of an umpire mistake as there can be, unless the PBL has added rules for the partners. If the PBL has referees, Lee Yong Dae should have requested one. The commentators are correct that the partner moved, but that is definitely allowed.

For reference, here's the text of the law:

The partners are explicitly not mentioned.

stanleyfm and Cheung like this.