ADVICE - Thinest 'Replacement' grip on the market

Discussion in 'Grip' started by allyjack110, May 2, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Hi guys,

Can anybody out there recommend a thin replacement grip. I like my grips as thin as possible and even find Karakal's standard 'PU Supergrip' quite chunky. In the past I have tried removing the factory grip completely and replacing it will an overgrip but I found this too thin. I know a few pros use this method. I guess I'm looking for something in between an overgrip and a Karakal PU grip. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

2. allyjack110

...I suppose I could always try using a thick over-grip instead of a thin replacement grip.

3. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    I think a good question would be to ask how much overlay were you using for the PU supergrip?

4. allyjack110

Just one overgrip / overlay.

5. Sketchy

Sketchy Regular Member

Ski Tech
    How about two layers of overgrip? That would still be thinner than a replacement grip, but would feel quite "hard".

Personally, I use just a single overgrip - an improvised version of WaveGrap - made by cutting a replacement grip into thin strips and sticking them to the back of a normal overgrip to create the ribs. I find it works extremely well - it still feels very thin, but it gives a little more cushioning, and the ribs give me a really secure hold on the handle.

6. SleepyEyedBoyZ

SleepyEyedBoyZ Regular Member

Hmmm, not sure if this method will do, but i tried and it felt like factory grips.

Maybe you can try it.

I use the karakal pu supergrip but I stretch and pull the grip while i'm doing the handle. this seems to make it thinner (it feels thinner) and less spongy (whatever is the right word).

7. allyjack110

I've tried this method before. Whilst it feels nice initially I feel my hand develop a few blisters after several hours worth of play. Too be honest I'm not a huge fan of overgrips. I understand the theory behind them in that they are much easier and quicker to replace than a standard replacement grip. However, I just prefer the feel of a single layer. I think I will try the suggestion of stretching a Karakal grip whilst wrapping my handle.

My only query I have with replacement grips is the slight damage they cause whenever replacing them as they tend to pull-up small pieces of the wooden handle. Is this a problem anybody else has experienced?

#7 allyjack110, Jul 7, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2011
  8. teojb

teojb Regular Member

you can wrap the clear film from the new grip around the handle before applying the grip or wrap the handle with electrical tape.

9. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
    Layer 1 directly over the handle: Duct tape; or Johnson&Johnson's waterproof first-aid tape, the one that feels and tears like paper; or painter's masking tape (but that last one is too thin IMO.) I also feel duct tape may not be the optimum solution although it would provide more cushioning than the other two. I use the first-aid tape.

Layer 2 over the tape: your favourite overgrip with at least 1/8" overlap but preferably 3/16", wrapped snugly but not toooo tightly, if you get my meaning. :)

I also bulk up the central section of the handle by some 2 additional layers of the first-aid tape (or an additional layer of overgrip.) It helps me with a more "natural" grip than an uniformly straight handle with an uniform cross-section would give.

Hope this helps, or makes sense! :D