User Tag List

Page 16 of 234 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 66 116 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

^^
    Many people believe the handle mass is irrelevant to the swing, but IMO, it's still important as it is part of the swing because the hand is not static but it is moving thru the stroke during the swing.

Otherwise, why would the manufacturers use lead weights in the handle core to "balance" their rackets in the final phases of production.

I've found that even grips of weights differing by 1-2g can affect the swing feel of a racket.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Oh yes I agree with you, especially that grip weight and the handle mass can effect the swing feel.

I just dont know how the mass can distributed from oo00oo to 0oooo0, without changing the mass on the handle or the right hand side of the BP. In order to keep the BP constant the weight must be distributed to both direction, therefore the question is whether it can be done by just shifting the weight to the bottom end of the shaft or does it have to involve the wood handle or both?? Can you explain more about the lead weight in the handle??

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

We need to start talking in degrees here though. The distribution of the weight in the head and shaft makes an infinitely bigger difference than 1-2g of overgrip or handle weight.

"Otherwise, why would the manufacturers use lead weights in the handle core to "balance" their rackets in the final phases of production."

Because you cannot adjust the BP of a racket's head once it comes out of the mould. If there is a variance outside of the manufacturing tolerance, you need to adjust for that somehow and you can't do that to anything but the handle.

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Yes, surprise surprise, if you remove the butt cap, you'll often find lead tape or weight glued inside the handle core. Obviously the wt in the handle is important, otherwise the manufacturers won't bother with this step at all.

Or do you think that manufacturers are "cheating" us by adjusting the balance in this manner if you think the handle wt is not important at all, Maklike?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Last 2 posts above makes perfect sense. Thanks for the insight guys

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Maklike does have a very valid point. I think what he's saying is that the racket head and shaft, once out of the manufacturing plant are set in properties. After that point, you cannot change the weight or BP since the mould has been caste.

If the racket is supposed to be for example, 305mm BP, but the BP turns out to be 310mm. The manufacturer cannot change the head and shaft, but could simply add weight in the handle to compensate for the heavier head to re-adjust to 305mm BP.

Remember, racket weights are always given a 5g level of leeway (3U is 85g-90g for example) so they could technically add weight to the handle without really going past the designated weight allowance. A 2g difference in weight with an overgrip changed my BP on my VT80 by a whopping 8mm. This just shows how even a slight weight variance can change the BP of a racket considerably.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Maklike Tier View Post
    I think it's a bit incorrect to think that the weight distribution in a racket is an easy thing to comprehend. We really don't have any idea what's going on under the surface - especially in the handle.

The other thing to consider when talking about 'feel', is that you hold the rackets handle, so what you're feeling doesn't really involve any of the weight of the handle. It's there and it does make a minute difference, but it would be statistically irrelevent I reckon.

Speaking of weird stuff; can someone tell me how the MX80 can be literally the stiffest racket I've held (aside from the Ti550 VS) and yet it plays without any of the negatives for an intermediate like me? I'm dumbfounded. I'm supposed to hate stiff rackets.
    yes ! exactly what I feel too !
    when I use very stiff rackets such as SW35 or even BS10 usually I feel pain in my wrist
    but when I use MX80 which is suppose to be the stiffest of all Victor (beside SPR21) this doesn't happen
    I ask myself why??? it's almost as easy like when I use SW37 which is medium stiff !!! why ???

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks gents...now i am understand why BS10 somehow feel more head-heavier than mx80 when i play.

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by jump-smash View Post
    when I use very stiff rackets such as SW35 or even BS10 usually I feel pain in my wrist
    but when I use MX80 which is suppose to be the stiffest of all Victor (beside SPR21) this doesn't happen
    I ask myself why??? it's almost as easy like when I use SW37 which is medium stiff !!! why ???
    I have no idea. It's one of the great mysteries of the world. Like 'women'.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post
    A 2g difference in weight with an overgrip changed my BP on my VT80 by a whopping 8mm. This just shows how even a slight weight variance can change the BP of a racket considerably.
    That actually becomes quite obvious when you start thinking about how heavy a racket weighs. They're all mostly around 100g or less - very light!

By the way, sounds like most people are getting 4U rackets?

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I got an 85g MX80 at a pound lower in tension than I normally run, because of it's stiff shaft and 80 hole pattern.

My BS 12 is 88g and I run it at a pound higher than normal because it's head-ligher and more flexible.

You have to adjust your set-up depending on the racket I reckon.

Oh, almost forgot! Behold...................the FRANKENSWORD!

Name:  FS_1622.jpg
Views: 446
Size:  119.9 KBName:  FS_1624.jpg
Views: 451
Size:  147.4 KBName:  FS_1621.jpg
Views: 453
Size:  136.8 KB
    Last edited by Maklike Tier; 05-18-2011 at 05:06 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

wow ! it's cool ...

Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

It's ghetto-cool

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

and very heavy!

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Probably because the MX80 is the only one with a woven head, so it's a bit sturdier offering better feedback and less vibrations. Just a guess, could be wrong. But vibrations are what can cause injuries a lot of the time.

Also, Maklike, LOVE the FrankenSword!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Naim.F.C View Post
    Probably because the MX80 is the only one with a woven head, so it's a bit sturdier offering better feedback and less vibrations. Just a guess, could be wrong. But vibrations are what can cause injuries a lot of the time.

Also, Maklike, LOVE the FrankenSword!
    I think Spira 22 also woven carbon frame CMIIW
    but it feels kinda numb
    unlike MX80 which is crispy ... hhmm

Mentioned
    95 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I think Spira 22 also woven carbon frame CMIIW
    but it feels kinda numb
    unlike MX80 which is crispy ... hhmm
    In that case, perhaps woven carbon + 80 hole design of the mx80...

Page 16 of 234 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 66 116 ... LastLast