Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by swijaya0101
    hi Kwun,

just another suggestion.

May be you should put more moderators on each forum categories ...

If the moderators think that the posts are inappropriate, may be you could have the moderators to PM or email the user with the reason why their posts are being deleted or moved or edited.

I seriouslly feel very angry when my posts are being deleted or edited and I am sure there are bunch of ppl out there that feel the same way.
    I can't really agree the idea about "PM or email". As we all know, for such a site with thousands of members, it's very hard for the moderators to "please" everyone. I mean, say, if a moderator find 10 posts should be "done with action", then he has to email 10 different ppl. Then, another moderator comes in, he might just repeat all the work again. Then,
    1. The poster won't be happy, since he will find seems all the ones in "control" all against him at once.
    2. Moderators have way too much to do. They all have their own work/lives to take care of. No one can just be a "full time" moderator here.
    3. Even provide a reason, some times poster still feel different. Ppl's standard will be different. I think it's should be the other way around, if u see ur post being deleted, moved, etc, and u think u did not do anything wrong (hardly, since I don't think moderators just clicking buttons for fun), u should PM or email ur concern to them instead.

In my previous post, I wonder whether we can "lock a post for several days, before delete it". This way, we set a tone, and let ppl know what is right, what is wrong. However, the draw back is, the poster might think it's very harsh and embarrassing to be "set as an example".

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I seriouslly feel very angry when my posts are being deleted or edited and I am sure there are bunch of ppl out there that feel the same way.
    Sure, there will always be people who feel the same way if their posts suddenly disappear or get merged.

That's why you see some very 'superfluous' and irrelevant material still existing in some threads.

So we try to be polite most of the time when people stray off track. Sometimes we give gentle tips which some people either ignore/don't care/don't understand.

One of the beauties of this forum is that on the whole, participants are respectful of each other and that longer term users are willing to help out in maintaining the forum. What ways do you help?
    1) by helping out in the repeat posts and helping point out older topics
    2) not replying to irrelevant posts
    3) taking a different direction of a thread off to another thread with a more appropriate title.

If the admin decided on an autocratic and heavy handed approach to the postings, I am certain that BF would not be as successsful as it has been.

Definately, there are grey areas. Some people have brought these up. Sometimes action is taken, sometimes not. Sometimes a wait-and-see approach is taken to look at how things develop. Not every action can be perfect and to the satisfaction of others. (just look at the UN for example)

The insensible postings/irrelevant postings issue has been around for a while now. It's not something that is going to go away soon.

Definately, BF is meant to be fun, but also a place to learn from each other and discuss things to improve ourselves and benefit others. I think that's why the Administrator created the forum in the first place - it was fun to learn about different badminton communities and converse with a range of people you'd otherwise never hope to meet. For the whole badminton community's benefit, I hope it can stay that way. This thread is just one small effort to that ideal.

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If the moderators think that the posts are inappropriate, may be you could have the moderators to PM or email the user with the reason why their posts are being deleted or moved or edited.

Talking about my own experience. With the huge amount of posts I posted in the past yr or so, there were several cases my posts being moved or even locked (once, only once... heheheheheh). However, I NEVER consider this as a case to "against me in person".

The first impression was, of course, a little bit surprised, but I never felt upset about it. Why? Because I know what I did. Of course, most of the times I did not do it on purpose, (say, start to talk about some other topics in a thread, after ppl asking me some relatively un-related questions), and some times, just seems stupid enough to post a thread in the wrong forum (don't laugh, still happend, once a while, and always curse where the hell my eyes were). However, "not on purpose" is not an excuse for making mistakes. To make our community on track, sometimes, I even PM moderators to move my threads, after I found there's a mistake.

My suggestion is, maybe we should calm down, and really think whether we really did something wrong first or not. I am sure 99.9%, moderator won't do anything without a strong reason. If that slim 0.1% happend due to mis-understanding, etc, politely email moderators will be a good way to approach.

There's no point to be mad. We coming here often to learn, to share experience, and most important, being like a family even though ppl were living 10,000 miles apart. No one is really finger pointing each other, say who's fault is that, or who's smart enough never making an error blah blah. Careless mistakes once a while is acceptable (otherwise, guess most of u won't even get a chance to see my posts long time ago. heehhehehe ), just make sure be more careful and responsible next time.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Default example

here is one example of irrelevant postings. I can remember this one very clearly

stop

even the title is irrelevant

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Cheung, I think I remember that post...

Personally, I think I contribute to a lot of the 'insensible posts' in this forum... I just did a search on my posts and when I compared my earlier posts when I first joined with my latest ones...

This forum is great compared to other forums I've been too, there are no strict rules but still this forum is... how do you say it?

Insensible posts...what if it's in the chit-chat section? Then it ought to be fine, right? I haven't been posting much lately in BF cuz I have school, homework, activities, and exams are coming up. Even if I do, I've a feeling it'll all be crap...

Hmm...perhaps if someone wants to know why his/her thread was deleted/locked, they should PM the moderators instead of being angry and leaving this forum or stuff like that (I've seen it happen before). An example : The admin of forum X had deleted a thread because it was all crap, the person who started this thread was very very very angry and left a long message, scolding the admin with a lot of bad words, and then deleted himself from the forum. How some people can be so petty beats me.

As for me... I've had 1 thread (as far as I know) deleted... and a few moved. But I've been looking around, usually when the moderators lock a certain thread they'll post the reason why, so there's really no need to feel angry or PM the moderators in that kind of case. I'll say don't disturb our busy() moderators with PMs when he's already explained why.
    Last edited by Joanne; 04-30-2003 at 08:30 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Most of the insensible postings come from general, equipment, and market place forum I guess. I mean, chit chat is a place where you just talk about non sense right? Well most of the time.

PS, I think what they're trying to say is that the quality in people's posts is not helping the thread therefore they should not post at all. e.g. Subject is Carbonex series and Mr. X says Carbonex sucks. Just post what you think it is right.
    Last edited by Yodums; 04-30-2003 at 09:12 PM.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

actually, if the thread is on the carbonex series and someone want to say that carbonex sucks. that is ok if the person give valid reasons. just plain stating that it sucks serves absolutely no purpose imho and not much better than non-sense.

however, if the thread is on the carbonex series and then someone comes in and start talking about the MP series or start asking about where to buy rackets, etc, then i would consider that out of topic and better belong to somewhere else. it is hard to draw the line, however, as sometimes slightly out of topic discussions are also valuable. tis is the gray area.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

prophet, it is very difficult to set social rules. too strict then everyone's mouth are bounded and the place gets boring, too loose, than all hell break lose. we can only seek to encourage and discourage certain type of behaviours like in-sensible postings, and then post reminders when the trend of the discussions are tipping the wrong side. and this is what we are doing here.

and i do agree with you that there is little correlation between high post count and post quality. many members whom i personally considered to be very valuable to the BF community have post counts in only the lower hundreds. some new members with only a few posts also provide immense amount of insight.

Joanne has a good point that the Chit-Chat forum is designed for off-topic discussions. i wonder what will happen to the post count distribution if i were to turn off counting posts that are made in the chit-chat section?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hmm... Kwun, how would you consider 'valuable'? Those who post useful replies to people who ask questions? Those are the experienced people right? What about those who are new to the game? They will be the ones asking around, not replying. Are they considered valuable too? I'm just wondering about this...

I don't know about turning off the amount of post in the chit-chat forum...how will that affect the members? I doubt many are posting just for the sake of the quantity of posts. But then it doesn't have anything to do with badminton either...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Actually Kwun, I think you and and the other moderators do a really good job of setting and monitoring the 'social' and etiquette boundaries of this site. I think you usually use a high level of discretion to monitor the site's content. In fact, you probably give a post the benefit of the doubt more often times than not. Actually, you have every right to set up the system and rules that we as a community should abide by. So I do appreciate little reminders (like this thread) for every person to think before they put words on the page, and definitely think before pressing that submit button.

I think that overall the moderators will do their part in monitoring posts, and we as a badminton community need to do our small part to monitor and dissuade insensible comments and insensible type posts that do nothing to enhance the thread.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I just thought that I might add my 2 cents..

One of the nice things about Badmintonforum is that the regulars (or "hardcore" regulars) aren't a**holes! This is otherwise a typical trend on other community forums.

Another nice thing is that there's almonst no use of acronyms on badmintonforum. This is largely attributable to badminton in general of couse. Very nice however.

One bad thing however is the many posts containing crappy english, words like "cuz", "wont" etc. I doesn't make the posts easier to read. Additionally, the poster doesn't learn any english either..

Also, "bumping" shouldn't be allowed too often. It's hard to regulate, I know..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Crap..

I'm glad I didn't add a complaint of "People who follow-up old threads" to my last post..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Well, sometimes people miss out the '... isn't that just a mistake? Don't understand about the "People who follow-up old threads" Please explain.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Sorry for being stupid, but what is bumping?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Joanne: The last post (Made by "prophet") was 3 months old when I added my post. People usually don't like to follow threads for that long unless it's being populated with posts.

Dill: "Bumping" is when you simply type "bump" to renew the thread so that it's placed at the top of a forum. This is to catch the attention of the readers. (PS. You don't have to type "bump", any other word would do the trick..)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Originally posted by GarlicJoe
    Joanne: The last post (Made by "prophet") was 3 months old when I added my post. People usually don't like to follow threads for that long unless it's being populated with posts.

Dill: "Bumping" is when you simply type "bump" to renew the thread so that it's placed at the top of a forum. This is to catch the attention of the readers. (PS. You don't have to type "bump", any other word would do the trick..)
    Maybe so...

Do you see much bumping around? Maybe if the starter of the thread wants more replies?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

You just got bumped

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast