how to replace after a drop shot

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by marin, May 11, 2011.

1. marin

marin New Member

Hi everyone,
    this is my first post here, and as you can see (or read I should say), I'm not native english speaker, so sorry for mistakes.

My question is simple : I don't know how to "replace" (I mean, "move back") after a "drop shot" (I mean, a shot from the back of the court that drops just after the net).

Indeed, I think I know some simple rule for other cases :

1) if you make a shot that goes to the back of the court (it could be for example a "normal" forehand shot, or a lift if you were at the net), you replace yourself with feet approximatively parrallel to the net
    2) if you were close to the net, and if you make a "short" shot (that drops just after the net), you replace yourself with feet approximatively perpendicular to the net, in "the direction of the shuttle" (to be ready to go again quickly to the net)

and thus, I rephrase my question

3) if you were AT THE BACK OF THE COURT, and if you make a "short" shot (that drops just after the net), what should you do ?

Watching for example Lin dan, it seems that in case 3), one should do like in case 2) .. but when I trie, the timing seems very short ..,

could you help me ???

thanks

2. Poseidon1985

Poseidon1985 Regular Member

Random Thinker
  3. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    The direction you position your feet when you move back to the "base" (this movement is called "recovery" in english) is probably going to be with your racket foot slightly forwards, but roughly "parallel" or "square on" to the net. The "perpendicular" base you describe, is used because you are less likely to have to move "sideways" quickly - you will mainly have to move forwards or backwards. This type of split (where the racket foot is much further forwards) is sometimes considered as an "aggressive" stance to be used when near the net, waiting for a net shot or a lift. This doesn't happen often - normally the feet should be more parallel to the net (with the racket foot slightly forwards in most cases).

I hope that has given you some answers!

Matt