Being over-weight - a hindrance to good foot work?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by allyjack110, May 11, 2011.

1. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Hi guys,

Q). Does being overweight have a impact on a person's footwork.

I'm not talking about a few pounds that everybody has, but a few stone. I'm just shy of 6ft and currently weigh around 16 stone, about 224 pounds (14lbs = 1s stone). Since October last year I have lost over 2 stone and quit smoking. I've noticed a big difference in my fitness but still seem to struggle with my footwork. My new coach says my footwork "is all over the place", and is the reason why I'm loosing so many games. I'm still over-weight by around 2 stone, although I hide it very well. To be honest I'm probably more suited to play rugby than badminton. As I've been over-weight for many years I've developed my own 'style' for carrying my huge frame. I wonder, will loosing more weight have a positive effect my footwork? I'm 26

2. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would imagine losing more weight would be beneficial in general fitness terms, however, you can still learn good footwork regardless! I would say it is definitely possible (perhaps with the help of a coach) to learn a more efficient style of movement, regardless of your weight. However, it may be easier if you have less excess to carry.
    Good luck in your training!

3. NoRice4U

NoRice4U Regular Member

Student
    No Offence but you dont have to be like slim to be good at badminton you can be like overweight and still dominate but the thing with tall and heavy people is they put a lot of strain on their knees because of the weight forcing down.

4. allyjack110

No offence taken dude. :) I'm not actually a beginner, but I am getting back into the sport after a 7 year hiatus. The truth of the matter is that I'm very unfit and am playing against much much better players - county level and junior champions. I'm a decent player but not up to their level. I have no difficulty when it comes to doubles play; only singles. Yet I enjoy singles most of all. I'm constantly loosing 21-15, or 21-18. You have no idea how infuriating and depressing that is when you constantly loose by such close margins.

Ok, some of my shot choices are poor. I tend to play shots dead centre instead of using all-four corners. They more I think about it the more I seem to loose. I'm probably trying too hard. I play the wrong shots then I have to dash to my opponents reply. It's got so bad recently that I'm seriously thinking of giving up the sport.

5. druss

druss Regular Member

The problem is that with more mass you have more momentum which takes more energy to stop and start again. This causes two things, slow reactions around the court because you can't make as quick changes in direction and more energy used which makes you tired faster.

Reducing weight while increasing strength and endurance is what you really need. The good thing is that you can accomplish both by visiting one place... the gym.

6. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    I think the main problem is not your foot work
    even with right footwork, you will have a hard time to cope up if you always shot on dead centre

I practiced right footwork for badminton in past 5 months, and I could say I am much faster and wider area coverage (btw, I am shorter than you by 5 cm and heavier than you by 3 stones)
    but I do agree, it gives too much pressure on me, and I would like to lose 3 stones or more

7. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    I'm in the same position. Quite a podgy fella. Used to be much slimmer and more built in my old boxing and Jeet Kune Do days. That said, at my level among friends (we all play the same amount) I'd say I was one of the better players in the group. Winning a large chunk of most of my games, so you can still make up for it. I've never felt I'm slower than the others really, despite being at least 2-3 stones heavier. But then again we're only intermediate at best.

Ultimately though, just keep playing and keep exercising. Sure we'll both slim down in no time :)

Interestingly, much of the footwork for badminton is very similar to the footwork I was taught in JKD (martial arts). So I managed to pick it up fairly fast, though sometimes I do get sloppy, especially when i'm feeling lazy lol.

8. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

well, your coach says your footwork is all over the place rite? so does that mean you are not using correct footwork? cause correct footwork does help in moving around the court alot. if your footwork is incorrect than practicing footwork could help.

9. XtC-604

XtC-604 Regular Member

Store Manager
    well big guys usually have monster smashes and loads of immediate power.

10. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    I know a few very overweight badminton players who are faster and have better footwork than me due to experience and know how to move. One of these guys is a 40 year old irish champ!! Learn the proper footwork steps and repeat them slowly and gradually increase speed and eventually it wil become automatic!!

11. allyjack110

I seldom, if ever get thrashed in a game of singles. Instead, I tend to lose around 21-17, which in many ways is far more frustrating, especially when you are playing against county standard players. "So close and yet so far". I've actually been told that I am very fast around the court and as well as a good hitter of the shuttle. I think the problem is that I am trying too hard. Although I never show it on court I get frustrated rather too easily, which probably affects my concentration. Also, when I play against better and newer players I really want to impress. Perhaps, that is my problem. I definetely have a tendancy to hit centre-on rather than using all-four corners - I've always done that. With lesser players I could get away with that but since I'm now playing against better opponents I'm getting punished. With the new scoring system I'm scared to use all four corners incase the shuttle goes out.

12. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

So basically you r saying the problem is not the fact you have bad footwork or is slow around the court but really the fact that you like to hit center-on and not to the corners and you try get frustrated easily. I think you should practice some shots for accuracy if you need it to build your confidence for the corner shots. By corner shots I dont mean like on the line or anything like that but just in that general area. As you put it you are scared to use the corners because you are scared of hitting out rite? So toward the corners but not too close is still ok, as long as it makes your opponent move around the court right?

And back to your original question about being overweight affecting your footwork, I honestly does not think it would make much of a difference. There would prob be a bit more strain on your knees and ankles but besides that i really don't see any difference. I think the amount of stamina you have would be more important as the more stamina you have the easier it becomes to move around the court during prolonged rallies or long games.

13. allyjack110

I think you have to be very fit in order to be an effective Singles player. Whilst Doubles also requires a lot of stamina and endurance, the requirments for Singles are a lot higher. I've noticed that a lot of my matches tend to be very even at the 11 point mark. Afterwards, depending on the quality of my opponent, I then seem to struggle a bit - so maybe my fitness is an issue. I recently quite smoking last December having smoked around 15-20 per day for around 7 years. Maybe my lungs are still healing which would explain why I'm often short of breath. Then again, Taufik Hidayat smokes and doesn't seem to affect him. Right now I'm only playing twice a week (2 x 2hrs).

#13 allyjack110, May 15, 2011
    Last edited: May 15, 2011
  14. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I would recommend doing core exercises as a first way of "getting fit" - it will have the most instantaneous effects in my opinion, including greatly helping your ability to breath.

There is a series of three excellent videos:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMdSor8_UI0

15. twobeer

twobeer Regular Member

computer
    I've seen plenty of players with to much excessive fat, but healthy footwork.. However they usually don't produce the most impressive height in jumpsmashes :-D :-D

/Twobeer

16. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

Running would also be able to help improve your fitness. It can help build stamina and endurance and speed too depending on whether your running long distance, mid-distance or sprints. I would recommend long distance running but at a slower speed and then gradually speeding up as your endurance improves.

17. allyjack110

Thanks for all your suggestions so far guys. Just back from my club night having played a lot of Singles. Lost two and won one. The first game I lost to was to a 16 year old and 'thee' player to beat at the club. He really is very good and regularly beats our coach. I've never beaten him despite playing him around half-a-dozen times or so. Strangely, whenever I lose I never feel disgraced. I regularly reach around 15-points or more so I feel no shame on my part. Too be honest, despite always loosing to him I really really enjoy playing against him. Anyway, I asked him afterwards frankly how come he always seems to beat me. I asked him this, not because I was looking for some sort of compliment, but merely because I want to improve on my game; I want to know my weaknesses and faults as a player. I asked him if he thought it was because my footwork was poor. When I asked him if he thought it was "awful", having told him what our coach had said the previous week, he looked at me with a very confussed look on his face - almost to say 'Why are you asking such a stupid question'. Whilst he thought my footwork could be improved on he didn't feel it was "that bad" as I had previously made out. Instead, he commented on my fitness and choice of shots. According to him, I tend to be too attacking immediately after I've receive a high-serve, prefering to smash instead of a drop. Also, I don't use all four corners enough or effectively to my advantage. I already new this, but it was nice that he could see that I was struggling with my fitness. At 12 points, my games' are usually very even. However, after the 12 point mark I then tend to slow down and go for 'winners' as I know I can't undure the length of rallies anymore.

#17 allyjack110, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  18. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Sounds like good progress is being made! Keep up the good work!

19. allyjack110

Within a week? I definetely enjoyed myself today.

20. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Huge progress can be made in a week if you focus when you play. A part of my game improves dramatically every week or so (e.g. a little quicker in defense, a little more ready for a particular shot, a little more clarity of thought in a tough game etc). All these things - although dramatic in terms of game improvement - are very very small changes. It requires concentration and after game reflection, rather than hours and hours of practice. Some things take more time than others - footwork is one of them. But even there, a little change can make a huge difference. e.g. for footwork: make sure you time your split step correctly, or remember to stay "down" in your stance (always with knees bent) and avoid standing up straight even after having moved to a corner. Little things, that will make you faster, but immediately!