Pain in side of knee

Discussion in 'Injuries' started by Joeyjo, May 12, 2011.

1. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

After playing a tournament I noticed that the outside of my left knee was hurting. I thought it might be just overuse so I left it alone. Currently I still train and play but the pain still hasn't gone away. When I run or walk straight its fine, but say if I was sitting with my foot flat on the ground and i let my tilt to the outside it hurts. Same when I'm turning. Any reasons why the outside side of my knee would hurt?

2. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Could be a ligament at side of knee being stretched to far when you tilt or the IT band or the vastus lateralis muscle being pulled on which is causing the pain. C a physio or sports masseur. They will prob work on your Quad muscles and knee.

3. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

Thanks! Do u have any recommended exercises to do? I have also been rolling my left ankle alot. Would that have any effect on my knee? Cause I rolled it just before it started hurting so could the two have any relation?

4. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Id def say so. U prob ave weak left ankle if you keep rolling it. Start balancing on that foot with no shoes on. and then when u can do that, do it with ur eyes closed. This builds up the neural pathways to make ur ankle stronger. Also while balancing on foot, rock side to side on the foot to build up the stabilisers. These exercises will give u bullet proof ankles. Done them myself :)

5. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    Squats and cycling are good for building up the quads and strengthening the knees. Just dont go to heavy a weight at start

6. visor

visor Regular Member

Sounds like the lateral meniscus. You probably tweaked it when you rolled your ankle.

For now, you should rest it till you feel better with it, ie till there is no pain with movement. Don't do squats or deep knee bends yet.

Btw, I hope you're wearing proper badminton shoes, in order to avoid further ankle rolling.

7. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

ic. thanks for the advice.
    i'm trying to rest but i am on my school's badminton team and we made provincials so depending on whether or not we go, i won't get much of a chance to rest it. and the pain is really minor so if i wear a brace i normally wouldn't notice.

actually all 3 times i rolled my left ankle i was wearing shb101men. but im a girl but it still shouldn't matter thought right?

8. visor

visor Regular Member

You probably should wear girl's shoes, as they are narrower to fit female feet better. Unless you have rather wide feet...

9. madbad

madbad Regular Member

Exactly how long did it take you to strengthen you ankle? I ask because I have an ankle that's pretty much shot from years of abuse from football and I have resigned myself to living with this injury and cope as well as I can. Relating to the OP's query, I have experienced the same knee issues in the last 6 months and have had trouble shaking it off. I still have not found a way to confidently convince myself I am heading in the right direction.

While I know there is no quick solution, info from people with experience dealing with it would be a big help.

Thanks
    mb

(PS - not hijacking this thread. Just trying to unearth solutions for us long sufferers :))

10. jianzhi94

jianzhi94 New Member

Student
    Hi Getting a Knee Support Might Help ?

Currently Recovering from a Left Knee Muscle Strain lol

11. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

a knee support could help but it doesn't let your knee grow stronger. but i am wearing one for now.

12. Poglomog

Poglomog Regular Member

Poggle
    Meniscal injury is HIGHLY unlikely based on your symptoms, I could say with at least 80% accuracy that it's ITB-related, you could try the following stretches, if the pain is more severe during the stretches then you'll know it's definitely ITB, if you find the stretches very easy then I am wrong and it's not ITB, but I'd wager that it's also not a meniscal injury. :)

Stretches:
    http://www.summitmedicalgroup.com/library/sports_health/iliotibial_band_syndrome_exercises/

The stretches will help if you do them enough, but you can't just do them once or twice and expect miracles, you have to do them several times a day at least, for a few weeks before you will notice any difference, from there it's a matter of keeping this up, as if you don't, your body will go back to the way it was and your ITB will become tight again, resulting in the same pain and less badminton. ;)

13. Poglomog

Poglomog Regular Member

Poggle
    Also, a knee support is useless for ITB-related injuries.

14. Joeyjo

Joeyjo Regular Member

thanks for the advice. but my knee is completely healed now. i think it was overuse maybe? since after nationals I took a break and now its fine.

15. gingerphil79

Sports massage therapist
    My ankle wasnt to bad so it only took about couple weeks but id say if you do them for about 6 weeks u should see big improvement. I do them everyday as it only takes 2 mins to do them!!

Good luck :)

16. moomoo

moomoo Regular Member

probably knee alightment. first thing do some jumping and stationary squats and lunges. make sure you knee points in line with your toes do not let your knee "overtake" your toes

2 non exersice things you could do to help relieve the pain:
    wear a patella brace as it keeps your knee cap in place
    tape your kneecap towards the inside of your knee

this wont help in the long run, it might even weaken your knee if you dun do the exercise above.

bonus: to pimp up your ankles, skip rope and stand on on one foot when you brush your teeth :D