BG80 MAX Stringing Tension

Discussion in 'Badminton String' started by johnnyytruong, May 12, 2011.

1. johnnyytruong

johnnyytruong Regular Member

i've been playing badminton for quite a while now and i have gone through my fair share of strings and rackets.

the last racket i was using was a victor bs11 and i always strung it at 28 lbs. with BG80 string and have had no problems with it. i recently purchased the new victor mx80 and wanted to string it at 28 lbs with BG80 also.

i told the store associate what i wanted on the mx80 and he gave me a screw face and then replied "are you sure?", implying that i shouldn't go up that high. i asked him whats the max i should go with bg80 and he said 25 lbs. i was getting a bit worried at this point, not because i doubted my own knowledge, but because i was starting to doubt his ability in stringing my racket. so instead of the 28lbs. i went with 26lbs. and he gave me another screw face and said "ok if you want to break your racket"

i have used bg80 for a very long time now and i know that i can push it way past 25 lbs. without having any problems.

who is in the wrong here?

2. johnnyytruong

can anyone help me with this issue?

3. Blitzzards

Blitzzards Regular Member

You really should look around the forum before firing similar questions and demanding people to repeat themselves. The same scientific reasoning applies for your case.

In short your stringer is not as experienced or professional as he may claim he is. Science proves it.

If you want other proof, Denmark professional doubles player Thomas Laybourn strings his racquets with BG80 at 36lbs, electronic constant pull (and by your stringer's logic how can such a racquet still be usable to win big matches such as the World Championship 2009 medal and not break in half on the first warm up hit? The "pro players use different better products than what we buy" argument is a lousy, unforgivable excuse used by such stringers as yours).

4. Sentinel604

Sentinel604 Regular Member

I fix stuff
    i would go to a reputable stringer with a constant pull machine

5. johnnyytruong

thanks for the replies.

i already know most of the info on bg80. i just needed some reassurance.

its funny because the place that i went to, is a VERY

6. johnnyytruong

clicked enter by accident, oops

its funny because the place that i went to, is a VERY reputable dealer in my area and they use the yonex es5protech. i guess i won't be going back there anymore

7. :renegade:

:renegade: Regular Member

One time i want to string my apacs fw200 with BG80 at 23lbs. But the stringer said to me that BG80 should string at high tension (28lbs and above) then i can get its true performance.

8. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have strung and played bg80 at 29lbs. feels very very nice at that tension.

9. Smichz

Smichz Regular Member

Student,Tour guide,Marketer
    If so,u should talk to the boss or the manager whatsoever,n tell him/her about this.Is this true that BG80 can only be strung up to 25 lbs?If so,ask him/her why?Is it because ur racket stringing reccomendation only stated up to 25lbs or is it the string?How if u buy a 8DX that stated up to 28lbs?Can they string BG80 up to 28lbs?

Because,especially if it's the VERY reputable dealer,they'll even tend to be more "playing safe".Having an expensive stringing machine doesn't always mean that they're good in stringing.Sometimes it's just for the pride.In ur case,i think that it's either the stringer is a new guy who is lack in confidence,never string so high before,or is it because they had a bad experience stringing above 25lbs.I bumped into those stores before,n never wanna go there anymore.But i often go there n show off how does the other stores can string better than they could.

I personally am a BG80 user.Just went for stringing 6 of my rackets,also with es5protech,each strung around 31-32lbs.Some on the 28lbs stated n some on the 22lbs stated rackets.Nothing happend to my rackets.

10. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Neither one are wrong. It is just the player did not hear the answer he wants.
    1) Some store practices "Better to be safe than sorry" with new racquets. They will only string the new racquet at or below recommended tension in case of defect, they can still claim the warranty. After the initial string job, they will take it up to what ever is requested with waver.
    2) BG80 can take up to 35lb without problem. That is for your question on your post. The clerk comment "ok if you want to break your racket" is not a good answer with any further explaination.