Meaning Of Life

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by JChen99, Apr 23, 2003.

1. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    The past few days I've been sick, so I couldn't go out. All I did all day long was either lie on the bed or sit in front of the computer serfing/watching movies.
    Earlier today, a question skipped across my mind... What IS the meaning of life?
    Personally, as many of you might already know, I stuidy Biology, and from the point of view of bio, Life is basically survive and reproduce... but except these 2 functions, WUT OTEHR MEANING DOES LIFE HAVE?

By definition life is basically a "chance" It was by chance that you were born... by chance that you are you. By chance that the right sperm met the right ovum to produce you, and not your brother, or your sister. What are the chances of THE individual born? Next to 0 that is, so some people call life a miracle...

Some people spend 20, 30, even 40 years studying... and what do you get? A graduate degree... and masters... PHD... and even post PHDs(wutever the hell they're called) why? why? Just because that will increase the chance of their Genetic material to be passed down? if that's the reason, then... wuz the difference of these ppl and pigs!?

Studying, everything people do... why do they do it? Only thing I can think of(besides reproduction) is... inventing, and making this world a better place for others to live in...

But all these people that do the inventing... the ones that contribute to the world... HOW many percent represents the population since the beginning of time? 0.000001%? 0.00000000001%? 0.000000000000000000001%? 0.00000000000000000000000000000000000000001%?
    If that's it... then y are those other 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of the people alive for?

Those who are religious may tell me... God Says: "You are on this world for a reason... you do not know because your time has not come" but... I"M NOT RELIGIOUS!!! (at least for now) and... even if it is true... wut do you tell those who were born beggers... and live their life a begger??? Do you tell them: "God wants you to be a beggar all your life, so you gotta be a begger all your life" I mean... c'mon...

Please, anyone... please enlighten me...
    All of a sudden I feel so tired and so old... I guess maybe it's time for me to pick up on religion...

Serious replies only please.... and sorry for posting something so think and unpleasent...

2. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

The meaning of life?

There is one purpose to life, whether you are human or animal or an animate object. That purpose is to contribute to the eventual heat-death of the universe. The most efficient way of getting atoms and molecules to do so is to create life and have life reproduce, thereby exponetially increasing the rate of heat-death for the universe. Entropy is the rule that allows us to live the way we do, and we can never escape it. Hence the meaning of life is to drive big SUVs.

3. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
  4. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    The answer is .....

...drum roll....

...15-Love, 15-Love.... :D :D :D

5. JChen99

JChen99 Regular Member

Realtor
    dun get it... Both Kwun's or WWC's post...

6. zero

zero Regular Member

Student
    THe MEANING of Life is to find the MEANING of LIFE....:p

IF the meaning of life was found, there wouldn't be any other reasons for life since everyone already knows.

I believe it is WALK-OVER for me....:D

7. Bunni

Bunni Regular Member

High School Student
    i've asked myself that question sometimes too, JChen. to put it blunt (and i mean real blunt), i think it's all about the experience, the ups & downs of your life, and how you'll always learn something new each day.

then again, the 'meaning of life' can be interpreted in many ways, depending on the person. if u're the optimistic type, "the glass is half full". life's great, there's no worries, it's all gravy. then if u're pessimistic, u might think life sucks, there's no point, we're all gunna die sooner or later (gosh, i'd hate to think like that all the time!)

well, that's just my opinion in a nutshell. not too much bout it :)

8. Grufey

Grufey Regular Member

Student
    Jchen, there's different ways of interpreting this question. But to me, the meaning of life is to find ur own identity, being urself in this modern world. To really get deep into this question, i think it would b easier to think about if you research some stuff on philosophy. Afterall, most of the things they talk in philosophy is all about life.

9. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    Oh, that's easy.

It's propogation of genetic material to the next generation. ie reproduction.

Have you ever read, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy?" with its associated books? That is really easy reading to the menaing of life and quite entertaining as well. I recommend it over Harry Potter.

Nice reading. It's a must read for any person professing to be a student...;)

10. unregistered

unregistered Regular Member

hmm....

that where meanin of lfie comes in..... try reading up on christianity more or ask ur friend about it. If ur interested i think u should read it up.

11. Mag

Mag Moderator

Graphic Designer
    OK, after the above comment, I know there are some of you that are virtually drooling over the prospect of a heated religious debate here...

Just drop it, OK?

:p

12. Neil Nicholls

Neil Nicholls Regular Member

maybe, maybe not

Does life have a meaning?

Imagine that we really did know THE answer
    What would we do with that knowledge?

Some people might say, "ooh that's nice, I'll try to do what I'm supposed to"
    others might say "I haven't got time for that, I've gotta go play badminton !"

If you don't find an answer to "Does life have a meaning?"
    try
    Does MY life have a meaning?
    and if you still can't find an answer, make one up for yourself
    or copy somebody elses (but be careful who you choose)
    e.g.
    "Be nice to people"
    or
    "Live long and prosper"

Good luck in your search
    Let us know if you find out

13. Winex West Can

Winex West Can Regular Member

Hi Tech
    Hahah...Mag, you were fast on this one...My first thoughts were "Oh No!"...;)

JChen99, my comment of 15-love was the prefect score in a baddy match.

Seriously though, I don't think there is any one answer to your question. It all depends on yourself. Some people get so caught up in becoming wealthy that they loses out on other things in life. Some centers their lives around their kids. Some hooks onto religion as a means on which they can base their lives on.

14. Matt Ross

Matt Ross Regular Member

Student
    Hi,

Nobody can tell you the meaning of life. Each one is different because you make what life is.

Matt

15. cooler

cooler Regular Member

Surfing, reading fan mails:D, Dilithium Crystal hu
    That answer(s) will come when you are ready. Knowing the meaning of life is meaningless if you are not ready.

16. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    JChen,

Get a chance to be the 0.00000000001% surely feeling great. However, being the ordinary 99.9999999999999% also have a lot of fun.

A lot of things look similar from outside, but only the one went through this have a different point of view.Put this way, say, we all learned playing badminton. Seems the same, but I am sure both of us have very different experience in the learning process. We have different victory moments, and we all have different experience being defeated. The order we learned our stroke are different, the ppl we play with are differet... way too many...

Also, 1 thing have that many choices already, when we sum up all the stuff (maybe we can only remember the major ones), that will be a huge number. (ex: one thing has 2 results, then the total combo of 10 is: 2 ^ 10!!!). Therefore, no 2 ppl in the history could be identical in all events.

Being a special one is nice, and being proud about, but everyone has his/her unique moments. Meaning of life = enjoy ur own, and try to make it better.

17. AKFT

AKFT Regular Member

There was a TV series made some time ago. Very weird stuff!

Life actually reverses enthalpy: ie the degree of disorder is decreased, until the moment of death.

:)

18. RJCMGP

RJCMGP Regular Member

student/busser
    I actually read a book about a guy who searches his whole life to find the meaning of life. It was called siddhartha. Then my teacher yelled at me because in my book report I said prostitue, and a charachter in the book is a prostitute. So then she said the book was not äppropiate" for school. So i fought with her about this and got in school suspended.

By I really liked the book about his journey to find the meaning of life.

19. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    I think ur teacher should really know what is "the meaning of life" = accept truth and face the charllenge (of determination), but not hide away from it.

Maybe it's ok to just suggest u, make sure learn the good thing, and try not put too much attention on the "R" material. However, just suspend a good student for a positive report is just way too much. So what they can do next? Close the movie theaters? Shut down TV stations? Come on, if u talking about "inapporiate material", there were much more stuff going around than books.

20. bigredlemon

bigredlemon Regular Member

Jchen99,
    your problem at finding a true answer to your question lies in its unproven presumption: that there actually is a meaning of life. What makes you so sure there is one?

edit... sorry if i'm sounding silly... i'm actually being very serious. Look at all the answers. They are all mosty self-centered or society-centered. We need to think outside the box more because there's no reason to think the universe was created for only Earth. Last I checked, Earth is quite far away from the centre of the universe.

#20 bigredlemon, Apr 24, 2003
    Last edited: Apr 24, 2003