User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Waxing may be acceptable in tennis but definitely not in badminton. Wax makes the shuttle/string interface slippery, robbing you of essential control. You want the string to grip the shuttlecock, not slip away from it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by taneepak View Post
    Waxing may be acceptable in tennis but definitely not in badminton. Wax makes the shuttle/string interface slippery, robbing you of essential control. You want the string to grip the shuttlecock, not slip away from it.
    Thank you for your input.

I've a question, why do some of the BC members write that wax increases the durability of strings?

Also, what about the theory that wax "stops the strings from cutting each other, especially at high tension?"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by MicroLegend View Post
    Thank you for your input.

I've a question, why do some of the BC members write that wax increases the durability of strings?

Also, what about the theory that wax "stops the strings from cutting each other, especially at high tension?"
    Wax reduces friction between strings and therefore reduces wear and tear. It is walking on shoes with grease. Your shoes and the surface you walk on will have reduced wear and tear. But is this what you want?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Wax reduces friction between strings and therefore reduces wear and tear. It is walking on shoes with grease. Your shoes and the surface you walk on will have reduced wear and tear. But is this what you want?

Oh I see.

I will request stringing without wax in the future.

Thank you very much!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

I do wax my string. I have several experiment over them, when I was told by my father to do this. It does prolong my String's age, so far. (No "Wound" on the string). At the first time, I do it all wrong, simply moving the candle each other with the string. Result?!? Bad, screwed up hit, and I have to lose all the wax. But, after the wax was cleaned up, I noticed my racket getting so much better.

When string isn't wax, it tends to fail to return to their "best" position, they can't maintain it. Each strong hit, caused they're opening a big hole. Then, I used another way to wax it. Just several times (very little candle wax on the string), then using my hand to spread the wax up, like using both of my palm, moving all around the string bed. And make sure, there's no visible wax anymore. This way, the string will always back to the original place, since the wax is between the join of vertical and horizontal.

I do this in every bad joins, until all of them become good. I did feel something different of it. But, maybe anyone has better explanation about this xD? Since this is my experience, and my own best friend isn't agree about this. Yet, his string does last long too. So I won't say this is solving durability problem. And, I believe this is very case based.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

That means your string was strung improperly or you hit at an angle.

Quote Originally Posted by K4mu1 View Post
    I do wax my string. I have several experiment over them, when I was told by my father to do this. It does prolong my String's age, so far. (No "Wound" on the string). At the first time, I do it all wrong, simply moving the candle each other with the string. Result?!? Bad, screwed up hit, and I have to lose all the wax. But, after the wax was cleaned up, I noticed my racket getting so much better.

When string isn't wax, it tends to fail to return to their "best" position, they can't maintain it. Each strong hit, caused they're opening a big hole. Then, I used another way to wax it. Just several times (very little candle wax on the string), then using my hand to spread the wax up, like using both of my palm, moving all around the string bed. And make sure, there's no visible wax anymore. This way, the string will always back to the original place, since the wax is between the join of vertical and horizontal.

I do this in every bad joins, until all of them become good. I did feel something different of it. But, maybe anyone has better explanation about this xD? Since this is my experience, and my own best friend isn't agree about this. Yet, his string does last long too. So I won't say this is solving durability problem. And, I believe this is very case based.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Pete LSD View Post
    That means your string was strung improperly or you hit at an angle.
    At an angle --a? I don't get it T_T... I never string my own racket, and... Well, I'm still at an intermediate level xD... So I haven't understand all the basics you experts have xD lol.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Strings move, especially the mains, for different reasons. They can move because of low tensions, string coatings that are slippery, shots that are hit angularly even if strung at high tensions. A better and more objective way to test string movement is to pluck and move the middle mains with your finger. If they move easily then you have identified the problem. Strings that have moved and are easier to straighten back are very different from strings that have moved but are harder to straighten back, the former is poor the latter is much better and more grippy.
    @PeteLSD
    This is the comment of taneepak from the 4knot thread... I believe this is the hole I'm talking about. The horizontal string is moving around, and not coming back. So... It's better to let my string alone, and not waxing it? (Since it'll be more slippery?)

Now I'm confuse T_T...
    Questions:

If they keep moving does it affect the sweet spot?

If they don't come back, is it possible to cause certain wound on the string?

If they are more grippy does it mean the string is in better quality?

I'm sorry, since I never did my own stringing job. Tq for the answer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

@PeteLSD
    This is the comment of taneepak from the 4knot thread... I believe this is the hole I'm talking about. The horizontal string is moving around, and not coming back. So... It's better to let my string alone, and not waxing it? (Since it'll be more slippery?)

Now I'm confuse T_T...
    Questions:

If they keep moving does it affect the sweet spot?

If they don't come back, is it possible to cause certain wound on the string?

If they are more grippy does it mean the string is in better quality?

I'm sorry, since I never did my own stringing job. Tq for the answer
    The sweet spot has nothing to do with string movement. The sweet spot is a point somewhere slightly above the center of the frame. You will know that your racquet's sweet spot is spot on when you can clear or smash with ease and power with almost no vibrations. But many racquets surprisingly do not have their sweet spot spot on.
    When a string has moved, you should move it back. If you don't straighten the moved string you will lose playability and power.
    Strings that are grippy are the best but it is very difficult to make such strings because it is hard to make the string surface with to have friction or grip. A grippy Yonex string would be BG85 and an even more grippy one is the Ashaway PG66 Neon. Both BG68Ti and NBG98 are slippery.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Ahh... Sorry >.< Not so good in these theories... I thought Sweet Spot is affected by those stupid string movement... xD... But confirming, since I'm still young in this forum and when I was here first time can be called know nothing xD...

Is sweet spot is located at the center of the frame (+) <--- imagine those bracket as the frame, and sweet spot is located in the middle of the plus ?

If my string was slippery, isn't it easier to control ? but reducing my power ?

Sorry for the poor word choices xD... I'm not an expert who faced so many things like you guys Tq for the explanation xD...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

A grippy Yonex string would be BG85 and an even more grippy one is the Ashaway PG66 Neon. Both BG68Ti and NBG98 are slippery.
    I thought BG88Ti was extremely grippy as well. I wonder why it isn't popular though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahh... Sorry >.< Not so good in these theories... I thought Sweet Spot is affected by those stupid string movement... xD... But confirming, since I'm still young in this forum and when I was here first time can be called know nothing xD...

Is sweet spot is located at the center of the frame (+) <--- imagine those bracket as the frame, and sweet spot is located in the middle of the plus ?

If my string was slippery, isn't it easier to control ? but reducing my power ?

Sorry for the poor word choices xD... I'm not an expert who faced so many things like you guys Tq for the explanation xD...
    The sweet spot is actually a point that is best located somewhere in the middle of the frame or slightly above it. Because a badminton racquet is unlike a tennis racquet or a cricket bat, the latter do not flex or bend at the shaft because they don't have a shaft, its sweet spot location is more difficult to optimize. There is no guarantee that a new badminton racquet has its sweet spot optimized, as seen by owners who use leadtape to change the location of the sweet spot for more effortless power. If your racquet can hit a clear with effortless power and with no stress or vibrations then you have probably got the sweet spot right.
    Contrary to what many seem to believe, an iso frame does not enlarge the sweet spot, because the sweet spot is not an area but a point. An iso frame feels like it has a bigger "sweet spot" because it has a bigger stringbed and the shots hit are at locations that are bouncy. Remember, almost the whole area of the stringbed with the exception of the area at the tip is bouncy. But it doesn't mean the bouncy areas deliver the most powerful shots, especially in areas that are too far away from the tip.
    Slipper strings are not as good in control as grippy strings, because at impact with the shuttle cork the strings that come into contact do not have a good grip on the kid leather surface of the cork of the shuttle.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

Ahhh... I see, so I was having a misconception xD... Well, thanks for the answer.

Anyway how bout the question of modious, and NBG98 is also very popular. (I myself using BG68Ti). And just imagining this part about
    Slipper strings are not as good in control as grippy strings, because at impact with the shuttle cork the strings that come into contact do not have a good grip on the kid leather surface of the cork of the shuttle.
    I imagine this way, the shuttle would be slower since they're gripped on the string bed. While using the slipper strings, they will easier to slide, and the speed loss is negated ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ahhh... I see, so I was having a misconception xD... Well, thanks for the answer.

Anyway how bout the question of modious, and NBG98 is also very popular. (I myself using BG68Ti). And just imagining this part about

I imagine this way, the shuttle would be slower since they're gripped on the string bed. While using the slipper strings, they will easier to slide, and the speed loss is negated ?
    It is difficult for me to answer all your questions on strings. Strings, like racquets, are subject to personal preferences.
    You can try to visualize the interface between the strings and the shuttlecock by imaginging the enlarged "footprint" the strings make on the shuttle. The strings are round or almost round, but at impact they flatten. How flat or evenly flat they flatten determines control and also power. If your strings are more round, meaning their footprint is smaller and less even then the shuttle will not go in one co-ordinated direction. Visualize walking barefoot on strings the size of one inch rope, with each rope having say a hundred filaments inside. If you have 6 such ropes lined together you can walk on them. Upon contact with your feet the ropes will flatten to give you a more comfortable feel and some springiness. If you can get another set of 6 ropes of the same diameter and same material but with 3,000 filaments inside, the feel of your walk will be even more comfortable and your feet will have a larger "footprint".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thumbs up

It is difficult for me to answer all your questions on strings. Strings, like racquets, are subject to personal preferences.
    You can try to visualize the interface between the strings and the shuttlecock by imaginging the enlarged "footprint" the strings make on the shuttle. The strings are round or almost round, but at impact they flatten. How flat or evenly flat they flatten determines control and also power. If your strings are more round, meaning their footprint is smaller and less even then the shuttle will not go in one co-ordinated direction. Visualize walking barefoot on strings the size of one inch rope, with each rope having say a hundred filaments inside. If you have 6 such ropes lined together you can walk on them. Upon contact with your feet the ropes will flatten to give you a more comfortable feel and some springiness. If you can get another set of 6 ropes of the same diameter and same material but with 3,000 filaments inside, the feel of your walk will be even more comfortable and your feet will have a larger "footprint".
    Yes... sorry for making a personal opinion xD...

Back to the filaments xD... If I we're to land above those filaments, I will get slower... And being launched from them (Since we all believe that we're using trampoline effect on string beds theory) more slippery surface should provide a better speed compared to surface with better grip (in this case filaments). Since the friction from the string bed (returning to normal condition) would slow the shuttlecock down. That's from my view xD...

I won't say very slippery one would be wonderful, since... It will be very hard to hit it on time. Just like high tensions. It will be too fast, since the shuttlecock is not having a friction, which is also important. So, my opinion is, waxing our string is another preference. I use BG68Ti... And I like the slippery part of it (I believe it's getting rough by dust in Indonesia xD). And I have to clean it out and wax it so that it'll be back to slippery condition.

Or perhaps my theory is wrong

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Yes... sorry for making a personal opinion xD...

Back to the filaments xD... If I we're to land above those filaments, I will get slower... And being launched from them (Since we all believe that we're using trampoline effect on string beds theory) more slippery surface should provide a better speed compared to surface with better grip (in this case filaments). Since the friction from the string bed (returning to normal condition) would slow the shuttlecock down. That's from my view xD...

I won't say very slippery one would be wonderful, since... It will be very hard to hit it on time. Just like high tensions. It will be too fast, since the shuttlecock is not having a friction, which is also important. So, my opinion is, waxing our string is another preference. I use BG68Ti... And I like the slippery part of it (I believe it's getting rough by dust in Indonesia xD). And I have to clean it out and wax it so that it'll be back to slippery condition.

Or perhaps my theory is wrong
    In my opinion your theory is wrong, but if you prefer slippery string then you should do what you like.
    About 4 months ago, I landed on a recently waxed floor after a jump smash and slipped, injuring my right knee. This is one intance a slippery thing doesn't work for me.
    I am sure in Indonesia you may come across certain extremely high humidity conditions that leave a film of water on the court surface. I challenge you to play on such a surface.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Both BG68Ti and NBG98 are slippery.
    In my opinion your theory is wrong, but if you prefer slippery string then you should do what you like.
    About 4 months ago, I landed on a recently waxed floor after a jump smash and slipped, injuring my right knee. This is one intance a slippery thing doesn't work for me.
    I am sure in Indonesia you may come across certain extremely high humidity conditions that leave a film of water on the court surface. I challenge you to play on such a surface.
    Instead of daring someone to play on a dangerous situation, why not explain why Yonex still manutacture slippery strings as you stated above. So Yonex is wrong then. If not, K4mu1 is not wrong for stating his preference on string.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast