Wilson Vertex BLX

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by manny13, May 14, 2011.

1. manny13

manny13 Regular Member

student
    hey guys, im new to the forum and have done a search for this racket but not has come up, most comments are on the way the racket looks. has anyone tried it out? how does it play? how does it feel? i hope someone out there has tried it and can help me out here. thanks in advance

-Manny-

2. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    Free 'bump' as I'm also interested. The Vertex is one of several rackets I'm desperate to try out myself, as well as being Jonas Rasmussen's racket of choice. Visually, I think it looks awesome - but no doubt its 'looks' will divide peoples' opinions. I used to own 2 Wilson K Braves, which I loved, but got rid of them due to several factory defects. I had four in total - two of which were direct replacements. Since then I'm a bit nervous about buying another Wilson racket.

3. Alapongtai

Alapongtai Regular Member

i am also interested..... itd be amazing if someone who owns both the vertex and recon would post reviews lol
    but please provide feedback if you have one of those ~
    ive only read 1-2 reviews on this forum about the recon and vertex...
    but i do agree vertex looks really nice.. i prefer the copper orange look more than the yellowish gold look of the recon

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Here's my short review from the othe thread (last year)

[​IMG] Review on Vertex BLX

Just received the racket from BCer this week and got a chance to test it last nite. So here is what i think about the racket.
    Built and Design quality: This is the best looking Wilson racket i ever seen. And its different from what Yonex & LiNing have in their mind in regards to paint job. I think Wilson was inspired more from Carlton Vapour series. Also the shaft was built right to the end of the handle, and the shaft is actually made visible from the cap bottom by a transparant plastic cap. Overall my quite happy with the design.
    Specs accuracy: By measurement it weights 85g which is on the lower end of the stated weight of 85-89g, just perfect since i prefer a lighter racket. Later testing I can say that the flex and BP are also consistent with the spec written.
    Playability: Although the racket was strung below tension of my liking, at first i instantly felt that this racket is very solid. I really think that its due to the shaft design, it reduces vibration which very common in a light weight racket. BP was stated 290mm (the same as Carlton VTT) but it feels almost like a balance racket. It can help me generate power for smash, no problem. The only this its a bit lacking is speed and movement, i feel that its not as fast as NS9900 or Carlton VTT. I would say its between NS9900 and AT900T.
    Overall: This is an exellent racket for doubles especially but also good enough for single. As far as i know, it by miles the best Wilson ever made, the only thing still i my mind is the durability issue. I hope this can last a lot longer. If previously I ranked Wilson 3rd tier, I would say this BLX is surely very close to top end YY and LN rackets.

Cheers [​IMG]

5. Alapongtai

lol your review is one of the 2 or 3 that ive read on this forum hahahaa. thanks tho

6. allyjack110

Thanks Yoppy for your review. According to their website Wilson have recently updated their BLX range. This is good news as it will probably mean a reduction in price for last year's models. Any chance of uploading some photos of your vertex?

7. Alapongtai

what update? upgraded models of vertex/recon blx rackets? link plz?

8. allyjack110

Zonar, Blade and Zen, as well as several new K Factor rackets. The Recon (Sho Sasaki's racket) BLX no longer appears on their website.

http://www.wilson.com/en-us/badminton/racquets/

9. Alapongtai

hmm i guess theyre updates but not necessarily better...
    i feel like the vertex & recon rackets are the higher class rackets from wilson compared to zonar, blade etc.
    and whats the difference between zen and vertex? besides the weight lol
    oh well, i already bought the recon LOL cuz it was 80 bucks... is it cheap cuz its getting old? idk

10. manny13

manny13 Regular Member

student
    hey guys, thanks for all the imput...i actually ended up buying the vertex and have had the chance to use it a few times and i really like it. the stringing that came with it sucked especially since the tension was well to low...so i had it restrung with nbg 95 @ 28lbs...it plays great...the accuracy is really good and the shaft helps produce power for smashes really easily. its a balance racket so not everyone might like it, but i would advise that you at least try it

11. Alapongtai

nice! i actually bought the recon impulsively cuz it was semi-cheap...LOL
    ill let u guys know after i try it haha
    too bad it comes factory strung :\

12. manny13

manny13 Regular Member

student
    yeah, i got the vertex somewhat cheap too...like $120ish shipped...seen it as high as $180...but, yeah, if it comes with the same strings as my vertex you gonna want to restring it cause they're gonna drive you crazy...they play real slipper at that tension

13. Alapongtai

where did you get yours? i saw some for 120 shipped too but for 80 bucks, i caved in lol
    ah man, there goes my 15 bucks -_-;

14. manny13

manny13 Regular Member

student

i ended up getting my through amazon, but the seller is badmintonwarehouse, so i though it was a reliable place to get it. $80 isnt bad though, i've heard that its a solid racket so you should be fine...i just wasnt a big fan of the strings...you might like them...unless you're used to playing at a higher tension

15. Alapongtai

i know this is the vertex thread but...

i got my recon today. graphics are pretty nice.
    came factory strung. cant wait to test this racket...if anyone cares ill let u guys know how it goes.
    might have to restring haha

16. allyjack110

Are you able to upload any pictures?

17. Alapongtai

sure
    i didnt know the "silver" looking part of the racket is actually light purple. awesomeness.

Wilson Recon Blx pictures
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    ugly taping :\

18. allyjack110

Is this normal?

I know this is a Vertex thread but I have a small concern with my new Recon. If you look closely at the photos you will notice that the small rubber 'plug' between the cone is not entirely flush with the shaft - the two prongs seem to curve outwards, albiet slightly. The racket feels solid enough and plays very well. I'm just wondering if this is OK. I had a terrible experience with my Wilson 'K' Brave earlier this year - specifically the cone - so I'm slightly apprehensive. I would appreciate any help from those who have a Wilson BLX.

Regards

A

DSCF2269.jpg DSCF2266.jpg

19. allyjack110

"I know this is a Vertex thread but I have a small concern with my new Recon. If you look closely at the photos you will notice that the small rubber 'plug' between the cone is not entirely flush with the shaft - the two prongs seem to curve outwards, albiet slightly. The racket feels solid enough and plays very well. I'm just wondering if this is OK. I had a terrible experience with my Wilson 'K' Brave earlier this year - specifically the cone - so I'm slightly apprehensive. I would appreciate any help from those who have a Wilson BLX".

Update. I've sent the racket back to the retailer and requested a refund. I can't be bothered with the hassle of having another racket re-strung and re-gripped. I really wasn't re-assured by how the cone felt and looked. The more I used the racket the more the rubber dampener seemed to 'pop-out'. The above photos don't really show the full extent of the problem. I really hope I can get a full refund as I don't seem to have much luck with Wilson rackets. The girl from Customer Services said that they would have to "inspect the racket first to determine if there is [was] an actual fault" before a refund or exchange can be made, which means I'll have to wait over the weekend till next week to find out.

#19 allyjack110, Jul 22, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2011
  20. Willi@m

Willi@m Regular Member

Blow Blow Water
    no worry, those tips being curved out are norm (due to shaft flexes back & forth during game session). Unless the cone is loose & likely to come off, then gotta use rubberglue/epoxy to stick back. The shaft is 1 piece all the way till butt cap, literally the wood handle remains strong & in position.