How to return shot in this area(pic). Beginner help..

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by rmc_01, May 16, 2011.

1. rmc_01

rmc_01 Regular Member

Hi I started playing for a month now. I have a question, everytime the shuttle is on this area (pic) im unable to return it. what is the proper racket placement/grip to use?thanks.[​IMG]

2. visor

visor Regular Member

Yep, that's a tough area to return from, even for the pros. As a matter of fact, as you get more advanced, you'll learn to specifically aim here in your shots and smashes.

Only way to return this is to take it at arms length in front of you, holding the racket in a defensive backhand grip.

3. nokh88

nokh88 Regular Member

Badminton Trainee
    Another way is to move your body a little. For references, watch the top level women doubles matches.

4. druss

druss Regular Member

It will also depend on what direction it's traveling at the time. If it's a smash downwards then back hand, maybe take a step back on your defense. If it's a drive then you can crouch down and hit is forehand in front of you.

5. rmc_01

rmc_01 Regular Member

Thank you for your replies.

Ill try it later..

@druss: the shot is travelling more hosiznotal not steep. i don't know what its called. usually got confused if i'll use backhand or forehand :D..

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    This is what druss called a "drive". As others have stated: bend your knees, get down, and you can take this powerfully forehand (crouch defense style), or more delicately with the backhand as visor suggested. If you can step forwards into the shuttle, then you should be able to take it at a more comfortable height.

7. Fidget

Fidget Regular Member

Each of these excellent responses above depend on being in a good ready position with your racket up and in front of you.
    (Adding this only because some beginners let their rackets hang by their ankles between shots.)

8. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Fidget - spot on :D

9. lymburn

lymburn Regular Member

I would crouch down and do a drive as stated before. or do a backhand drop

10. dlp

dlp Regular Member

Accountant / Coach
    you can hit a backhand grip drive off the racket shoulder, crouching a bit

11. rmc_01

rmc_01 Regular Member

Thanks guys for your advice. I learned a lot. I have another question regarding my smash/clears.. my shots often go way out of bounds even my swing is not that strong. how do i correct this? Thanks.

12. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    I call shots played to this area "in the pocket". Advice here has been generally good. I'm guessing you usually receive this shot in doubles? In which case, for a beginner, I'd tend to teach a "crouch defence" - basically crouch in order to make the shot at a comfortable height for your racket - remember, you should always be looking to adjust, don't just stand there and let them hit at you, move so that you can play the shot..

With regards to the accuracy of your clears and smashes, it could be any one or a combination of things. The most common errors that I find when I'm coaching new players are:

1) Their grip (and this leads to a bad racket angle - do you find that shots go out on one side more than the other? this is because your racket face is pointing too far in that direction)

2) The player is not turned enough (i.e. they are too square, of "face on" to the court) when you play shots from the rear court, you should prepare for the shot facing at almost 90 degrees from the court - i.e. if you are right-handed, you should be facing right, left-handed, you should be facing left)

3)The player is not controlling the angle of the racket face on impact - for a straight shot, the racket should travel straight (for a beginner, you can move on to slices later) - basic logic.

It should be noted that these technical points all intertwine.

Try watching some pros play if you don't understand fully - in my opinion, players don't watch enough badminton - we do it for cricket/football/etc, why not badminton. Hope that helps :)