Poll: where do you look when you receive?

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by visor, May 17, 2011.

1. visor

visor Regular Member

I'm aware there's a poll on where you look when you serve, but none on where you look when you receive. So, here's one!

I've been struggling to react faster and more aggressively in receiving serves, especially in level doubles where I stand close to the service line to receive in the standard ready position. I'm just wondering where most players are looking at in order to quickly judge the direction and speed of the service, and also whether it's a low or flick serve.

1. Server's eyes
    2. Server's racket hand
    3. Server's racket head
    4. Shuttle held in server's hand
    5. Shuttle as it leaves the racket head
    6. Shuttle as it flies just over the net
    7. Shuttle as it appears in front of you

Anything I may have missed?

Note to moderators: please make this into a poll. Thanx!

2. Poseidon1985

Poseidon1985 Regular Member

Random Thinker
    I always fix my eyes on the shuttles right from beginning when it is held in server's hand to when it leaves the racket head.

Once it leaves the racket head, I think you could more or less judge where it is going to land and have your body react accordingly. Having said that, I'm struggling to return flick serve when the server serves to my backhand position....T_T

3. visor

visor Regular Member

I also try to follow it from the racket head, but I lose sight of it for a split second until it appears over the net a foot into my side. Which sometimes is too late for me to attack aggressively. :(

4. drifit

drifit newbie

PM
    what is the difference among 5, 6 & 7?
    look at next court, as service start....wait till shuttle leaves only look? if didnt look at start, how i know when the shuttle reach the net or reach my face?

5. visor

visor Regular Member

I suppose i should change the question to:
    when receiving serve, at what point do you decide to move
    at the moment the shuttle is struck, as the shuttle just travels over the net, or after the shuttle is over the net?

6. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    I find that lowering myself helps me to keep the shuttle in my view before it "disappears" behind the tape as much as possible. This helps me to judge the flight of the shuttle (so I look through the net, not over it). The reason I do this, is that my eyes will be roughly at net height (just below), and so I can pick up a low serve very quickly (as most processing power is in the centre of the vision) and hence if the shuttle passes outside my central vision, it must be a flick or drive. If I can see the shuttle clearly, I move before it passes over the net. If it travels quickly (a flick or drive) i can normally only react once the shuttle has passed over the net (a little later, but more time to react).

Visor: this is a great question :) very interesting to think about.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Matt

That makes perfect sense! I never thought of it that way!

No wonder the doubles pros all crouch down below tape height, so that they can judge the flight of the shuttle even before crossing over the net.

I'll have to consciously try this out next time I play.

8. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Matt you must be a tall guy. I dont have to lower myself more than my normal receiving position (Im 177cm) to be able to see the shuttle below the net white tape. I ussually stare at the shuttle as soon as the server is ready to serve, and move as soon as the shuttle is hit.

9. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Tall? Me? Haha. Not a chance. I just like to get down extra low (bend in my legs a lot). It makes me feel as if my legs are more "loaded" to move explosively in either direction. Personal preference :)

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I see, fair enough.

11. lymburn

lymburn Regular Member

their eyes but sometimes it's decieving

12. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    I feel like I would have to lie on the ground to see the shuttle through the net. But then again, I'm quite tall. I've never really thought of where I look while receiving. But my netplay is usually pretty good. I'm not so fast moving back for a flick. I got to practice that some more.

13. Sunsgambit

Sunsgambit Regular Member

Student
    @lymburn - NEVER EVER look at your opponents eyes EVER! Club players will try to trick you by looking one way, then serving another, good players will get you into even more trouble. Always look at the shuttle.

When to move? As early as possible when you absolutely know where it's going.