Tribute to WS greatest ever player: Susi " the Ballerina" Susanti

Discussion in 'Indonesia Professional Players' started by Yoppy, May 17, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I was flipping my DVD last nite and dont know why but i took Susi Susanti vs Ye Zhao Ying All England Final match. And as soon as I watch it my memory flock back to one of my childhood fond memories. Watching her was like watching a ballerina performing a butterfly moves on a stage, it was just simply briliant in fact i cant find the right word to descript it.

Fantastic at the net where at her time she already used the flick net drop the way MS players play today. She also had that wonderful cross court smash return from both side (forehand and backhand). And above all I think her greatest asset was her foot work, she moves around the court so well and was able to retrieve the shuttle with high degree of difficulties, in fact at one point she did a full split up and her legs were fully stretch front and back (that would crack my balls for sure lol).

The way she play just waiting for the opponent to make mistake worked really2 well. Im not too sure about her H2H record againts her main opponents, but my wild guess will be very good. I remember she dominated the game during early 90 towards the end of it, when I think she won everything that can be won.

I gather a bit of info about her achievements:

Gold medal 1992 OG
    Bronze medal 1996 OG
    AE Champion 1990, 1991, 1993, 1994
    World grand prix final champion 5 straight times 1990-1994
    World Champion 1993
    Japan open champion 3 times
    Indonesia open champion 5 times
    Uber cup winning team 1994 and 1996
    World cup champion 3 times

Im sure she won some more titles not listed above.

After retired and married to her husband (Alan Budikusuma - also a OG champion) Susi Susanti was added to the BWF Hall of Fame award in 2004, and I heard she is now running a baby clothing business as well as having her own badminton equipment flagship Astec (Alan & Susi technology). I also heard that she involves in some retaurant/food business. This couple have 3 children but unfortunately none of which play badminton seriously.

Unfortunately BC did not exist back then. She could have pages devoted for her hahaha. But its better late than never, right? So lets talk about her, I would love to hear any news about her either in the past, her results on the field, her style of play, or more recently about her life or anything about her.

2. miksss

miksss Regular Member

The most unforgetable moment should be the ' 1989 Sudirman Cup Miracle '. Actually i still not born yet in that time. But i read the article:D. INA was trailing 0-2 behind KOR. And the 3rd match is Susi vs Lee Young Suk. Susi still 18 that time and lost narrowly 10-12 in first set. Unfortunately Susi was trailing 2-10 in second set, and seems like INA will lost it, the supporters already dont have any spirit to cheer anymore and some have left their seat. Guess what? Supporters are wondering, what happen? Susi slowly chase with never die spirit and equalize the score 10-10 and eventually wrap it 12-10. Its fantastic! Imagine! Lee only need 1 points more and KOR will celebrate the triumph. In 3rd set, Lee Young Suk lost all her motivation and Susi won 11-10!! The whole KOR team collapse and finally INA won 3-2.I read that Lee Young Suk got slap from her coach after her match.

Susi is the best ever WS! :)

3. miksss

miksss Regular Member

Actually, we have found the one who inheritage Susi's style. She is Maria Kristin Yulianti, have a complete and very high technique. Unfortunately, injury prevent her to reach her top career.

4. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Thats inspiring indeed. I did heard about similar story about our Thomas cup team vs China, also down 0-2 and lost a set, but end up won 3-2. But trailing 2-10 and came back, only the greats can do that.

5. wilcan

wilcan Regular Member

student
    Yeah..
    i love this story...susi can share this story all her life

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

7. viver

viver Regular Member

No, she was not slapped after the match! Lee was hit during the interval between the 2nd and 3rd game :mad:. I remember watching the 3rd game, she was crying during that game. The whole Korean players squad were upset by this incident and did not play well the remainder of the matches as a protest. That is what I remember...

8. miksss

miksss Regular Member

I see, thanks for the correction :)

9. CLELY

CLELY Regular Member

She's the most successful WS player who won All England 4 times after Hiroe Yuki grabbed her 4th in 1977, Super Susi :D
    Only Asian Games Gold medal is out of her collection.

10. Smautf

Smautf Regular Member

Wow - really interesting - I haven't heard this story before, although (not wishing to diminish Susi's achievement at all) with the old scoring system this sort of pull back was much more possible than with PPR system we have now. Nevertheless, I wish I'd seen this game as I'm quite a fan of Lee as it happens, and have actually been coached by her. Does anyone know of any footage available? And who was the (slapping) coach?

Ta,

smautf

11. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    Err...MKY is not even close to Susi in footwork, stamina, fitness, mental strength, flexibility, yadadada....just the Susi stare when she serves is intimidating. To beat Susi, a player must have a full tank of oxygen on standby. The CHN girls can play Susi as they are just as fit but Susi is better that is why she can beat them..IMO, Gong Zhi Chao from China playing style, fitness and running game is close to Susi, both won OLY gold, and if both players were to play each other at their peak, that would one heck of a match.

12. miksss

miksss Regular Member

hehe..not me say, but many of the badminton commentator said that MKY has the same style with Susi..:D During the math between TJY vs MKY in Uber Cup, the commentator in TV1 Malaysia also say like that.. even Susi also admitted that MKY has the same style with her..hehe :D

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

It must have been horible for her (Lee), I mean being hit/slap in front of the world. I feel sorry for her.

14. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Great Singles players in Badminton

It is their steadiness and their excellent accurate stroke play that make them similar in style.

What makes them great Singles players? They can continue in a rally with patience; until it is time to finish it off with a winning shot (with power, speed or wrong footing their opponents).

15. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    It is horrible indeed. :(:(:(

If a coach thinks that hitting and/or slapping a player would help a player to perform better, then that coach is just a bully.

16. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Susi Susanti: Finest female badminton player

Most of us who watched Susi Susanti receive Indonesia's first gold medal at the Barcelona Summer Olympics in 1992 will remember seeing tears streaming down her face while the Indonesian national anthem played.
    In that historic moment, Indonesians across the nation were united in feelings of immense pride and joy as they shared her sweet victory.
    Looking back, Susi admitted that many sacrifices had to be made to achieve success.
    After secondary school, she had to leave her family in Tasikmalaya, West Java, where she was born, to live at a dormitory and enroll at a school that was only for athletes.
    She said she was socially awkward because she only had athletes as friends. It is no wonder she chose to marry Alan Budikusuma, also an Olympic gold medalist at Barcelona and fellow badminton player.
    As an athlete, her training schedule was extremely packed. She would train for six days in a week, from Monday to Saturday, from 7 to 11 in the morning and from 3 in the afternoon until 7 in the evening.
    She also had to follow strict rules on what she ate, when she slept and what was wore.
    She was not allowed to wear high-heeled shoes to avoid ankle injuries. Visiting malls and going to the movies could only be done on Sundays. However, she was often so tired that she opted to rest on Sundays rather than to go out.
    In order to be a world champion, Susi fully understood she had to focus on her training and give up many things that non-athletes could enjoy.
    "It is impossible to be a badminton world champion if you do not put your heart and mind in your goal. I even gave up my tertiary education because I could not concentrate on my game while studying for exams," she recalled.
    "But I have no regrets. How else could I contribute to my country while achieving my dream at the same time?"
    While Susi's gold medal at the Barcelona Summer Olympics is considered to be the pinnacle of her contribution to Indonesia, Susi lifted up the country's name numerous times throughout her glittering career as Indonesia's greatest female badminton player.
    She dominated the women's singles event in the early to mid 1990s, winning the All-England in 1990, 1991, 1993 and 1994, the World Badminton Grand Prix consecutively from 1990 to 1994 and the International Badminton Federation World Championship in 1993.
    She won the Japan Open three times as well as the Grand Prix Series in Bali in 1990. She also won various Badminton Grand Prix Series and Badminton World Cups.
    She led the Indonesian team to triumph at the Uber Cup in 1994 and 1996. Other than her gold medal at Barcelona, she also won a bronze medal at the 1996 Olympic Games in Atlanta, the United States.
    Susi was inducted into the International Badminton Federation (IBF, currently Badminton World Federation or BWF) Hall of Fame in May 2004 and received the Herbert Scheele Trophy from the IBF Council in 2002 for outstanding exceptional services to badminton.
    Until 1997, Susi continued to win badminton championships for Indonesia, the final one being the Badminton World Cup in 1997.
    In 1998, she led the Indonesian female badminton team to second place during the Uber Cup competition in Hong Kong. It took a decade for the Indonesian team to reach the final of the Uber Cup again, the achievement finally coming in 2008, under the guidance of Susi as team manager.
    Her achievements have also led to her inclusion in the forthcoming four-volume Dictionary of Overseas Chinese Personalities, to be published by The Chinese Heritage Centre at the Nanyang Technological University in Singapore.
    Susi recalled that the May 1998 riots broke out when she was in Hong Kong for the Uber Cup final.
    Being a Chinese-Indonesian, she feared for her family and friends back in Indonesia. Thankfully, her family and friends escaped the wrath of the mob during the riots.
    The international community's condemnation of the May riots was intensely felt by Susi, who was interviewed by CNN regarding her position as a Chinese-Indonesian badminton world champion.
    During the interview, Susi said candidly she was deeply concerned about the situation back home because she realized news reports of the riots were much more vivid in Hong Kong than in Indonesia.
    Nevertheless, she maintained that she was an Indonesian first and foremost, and would not hesitate to keep representing Indonesia in international badminton championships.
    Her pregnancy, however, caused Susi to willingly leave the world of badminton in 1998.
    Following the birth of her daughter, Laurencia Averina, she dedicated herself to being a full-time mother. Two years later, she was blessed with the arrival of a second child, Albertus Edward. Her third child, Sebastianus Frederick, was born in 2003.
    Even though she and her husband had stellar careers as badminton players, Susi does not want her children to follow in their footsteps. She feels that athletes are under appreciated in this country.
    Unlike Korea and China, which have comprehensive pension plans for ex-athletes and offer a host of benefits and incentives for star athletes, Indonesia does not offer its athletes a bright future.
    She feels this is one of the reasons for the declining quality of badminton players in Indonesia.
    With the exception of several corporate sponsors, including Djarum and Ciputra, Indonesian badminton players and federations receive little financial support for their efforts and achievements.
    She shares how she and Alan had to pool their own resources to establish a sports equipment corporation, Astec (Alan and Susi Technology), to support their family. They have also opened a foot reflexology and sports physiotherapy center, Fontana, in Kelapa Gading.
    Based on her own experiences and observations, Susi wants her children to concentrate on their education.
    Badminton, she says, "can come after they have completed their education. Education provides more tangible benefits than the uncertain future facing badminton athletes".
    In spite of everything, she retains the hope that Indonesia's government will learn to value its badminton players and help restore the nation's supremacy in the sport.

http://www.thejakartapost.com/news/2008/07/02/susi-susanti-finest-female-badminton-player.html

17. naistav

naistav Regular Member

This is really sad but true for the case of Badminton cannot guarantee athlete future. Not only Susi, Taufik Hidayat also stated that he didn't want his children to be Badminton player.

18. naistav

naistav Regular Member

Similar style, yes. Although not all.
    Same level, no :D
    I think all INA current WS are at similar level. And Maria Febe found it difficult to defeat 39 years old Susi at charity match. Stamina saved her. So, with that kind of comparison, since Maria Febe was INA 1st WS at that time, I would say that Susi at her peak is 1-2 level higher than all INA current WS, including MKY. Sorry to say.

19. OneToughBirdie

OneToughBirdie Regular Member

engineer
    We are talking about Susi, the only INA WS player to win OLY gold and Bronze. The current INA WS players can play bridesmaids to Susi. Susi at her peak can beat the best CHN WS, in fact she gave Ye Shao Ying, CHN best WS player at that time, I think a 15-0 or 15-1 in a match. So in all likelihood, the current INA WS players will get 15-0 spanking if they play Susi at her peak. I like her serve, wicked and intimidating. Simply the best. I don't think we will see another Susi from INA, not even close.

#19 OneToughBirdie, Jul 24, 2011
    Last edited: Jul 24, 2011
  20. Sportmanship

Sportmanship New Member

artist
    I just googled the result of All England finals from 1990-2011, Susi won 4 times, unfortunately after that Indonesia don't have any woman shuttler who can grab All England trophy.*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.