Voltric 80 3U or 4U

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by mcsfgiants, May 17, 2011.

1. mcsfgiants

mcsfgiants Regular Member

Hey guys
    i've recently trying to buy a voltric 80 but i don't know if i should get the 4U or the 3U version.
    i cant say im a very strong guy, but i could handle an arc10 3u pretty well before.
    any recommendations?

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    3U for singles.
    4U for doubles.

3. mcsfgiants

mcsfgiants Regular Member

so what if i play mix doubles most of the time
    should i get a 3u or 4u

4. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    I went with 3U. I play singles, mens and mixed doubles. So far so good. If the pace is quick, you might be better off with the 4U.

5. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

In my opinion, you can always adjust your technique to compensate for any apparent lack of "speed". However, I personally find it harder to adjust technique to get a more powerful smash. Smashing for me is the most enjoyable aspect of badminton. 3U all the way for me, no matter how head heavy the racket is.

6. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Just remember most points are not won by smash. Its the opportunity to get smash is the most important, both in single and doubles. It is where top level game is all about. Of course for most of recreational players like us, it quite easy to have opportunity to smash since our opponent just lift up whatever shot we gave them, but its not the case if you move up level higher. Smash only one mean to finish off the rally. To me, finding a way to open the door to smash is a lot more artistic and challenging.

7. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Smash can also become weakness. Remember how CY/FHF killed off Markis Kido in the last Thomas cup?? They knew they had no chance battling Hendra up front, so they just lifted the bird up to Kido again and again until he drained his stamina and end up like a dead chicken. I call that good tactic.

8. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Of course if you want to win a game, you can't just rely on the smash. However, when the opportunity presents itself to smash, that's when you want to try to finish the point off. The most enjoyable part of badminton for me is to win a point with a smash, ideally with a clean winner!

9. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    good point ssj100, me oso enjoy the most when do smashing....no matter lose or win the game, it just good win the point with a smash :)

10. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I just gave my thoughts to the OP, and I don't want to argue about this cos it's purely a matter of choice and preference. There are obviously many of us that use 3U while able to maintain everything required to win a game. But deciding to go for 3U for purely smashing reason is just simply strange, if you just want to smash then get a 150g head heavy racket. But obviously badminton is more than just smashing.

11. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

We're just giving our opinions. There's nothing to argue. For me personally, I always go for 3U, as I prefer having more weight on the racket in order to generate more power. It works for me. Obviously not many people would be able to handle a 150g racket well - I don't think I could hehe.

12. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Actually there is an alternative getting power without having a head heavy racket, but since this is a question on VT80 it will be irrelevant

13. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

I also don't believe that opportunity to smash presents itself, it has to be mostly created in the previous shots. Especially not in the tournament. But again it's just my opinion nothing more

14. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

For sure, it often has to be created in the previous shots (especially for advanced level play). However, when the opportunity comes to finish off the point (eg. when you receive a shorter lift), you'll often be wanting to finish it off with a power smash.

15. samsudd_s

samsudd_s Regular Member

clerk
    hahaha...me too. just to show our preferences. even 4U also can generate good smash, no doubt....

16. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Yes I think when it comes to the VT80, and from what I've read on these forums, the 4U also produces massive power.

17. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Since it produce same fair amount of power, then how about it's ability to create the op to smash eg. Drop shots, flat drive, net play, cross court shots, push etc etc?? If the 4U relatively better in the areas then we might as well go for the 4U

18. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

in order you receive a short lift your opponent must have either made mistake or you forced him to make that that mistake

19. ssj100

ssj100 Regular Member

Anyway, to the original poster, I'd recommend going for the same weight as your other rackets.

If you're keen on a 4U, but still want it to be a bit heavier, another possibility would be to ask for a "heavier" 4U - for example, ask for it to weigh in at about 85g.

#19 ssj100, May 18, 2011
    Last edited: May 18, 2011
  20. david14700

david14700 Regular Member

I have 4U VT80s and several friends have the 3U. The difference in smash power is really small, hardly noticeable and the 3U is still a good defensive racket. The only big difference is fast drives where the 3U is a bit slow because of the heavy head. So if you play mens doubles, I would definitely recommend the 4U.

I have over 20 rackets, all but 2 are 3U, but I really like the 4U VT80s. Other Yonex rackets I've owned in 4U I really didn't like because they felt too light, but the VT80 is head heavy and the 4U feels more like a 3U of a lot of other rackets.