Fu Haifeng's Defence

Discussion in 'China Professional Players' started by staiger, May 18, 2011.

1. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    with the Olympic 2012 insight, and since Cai and Fu is china best chance of winning the gold in MD . and since they lose the final in 2008 and 2012 maybe their last Olympic , they would want this so badly.

The one weakness that has been identify is Fu' Defence especially from hard smashes . I have seen him played in 2009 which he had made some improvement in department but now in 2011 we can still see that as the weak area. when he return a powersmash on his backhand side he seems to clear them too long (and out). and when he is using his backhand defense on his forehand side , the shuttle will land too short . I dont know what his issue is and wish that he can fix the problem . he doesnt seem to be prepared and maybe he changes his grip a split second late when shuttle is going across him.

could it be down to his reaction speed ?

2. george@chongwei

george@chongwei Regular Member

Yes, his smash is more effective than his defence;)

3. oasis123

oasis123 Regular Member

I reckon FHF's defence has improved a lot lately as witnessed in the latest Singapore and Indonesian Open. The Fu/Cai pair is now back in the world #1 in MD ranking. Hip Hip Hooray!

#3 oasis123, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  4. visor

visor Regular Member

that's the price he pays for using a head heavy racket that is good for attack but compromises defence

over the last 2 years though, he should be commended for significantly improving his serves, whether it be short serves or deceptive flick

now if only he can improve his defence...

oh and not to mention his net play: that is another glaring weakness of his, again likely due to using a head heavy racket

#4 visor, Jun 23, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2011
  5. 57.Christ

57.Christ Regular Member

Student
    Maybe he should train like LCW's defence training.. :D *1 vs 3*

6. Wildstone

Wildstone Regular Member

He should not need to defend if Cai Yun is good enough at the front (which he is), look at the attack VS defense ratio in the games they played in World Championship, most of the time they are attacking rather than defensing. That's why they won.

7. GoodMorning

GoodMorning Regular Member

Hydraulics & Industrial Trading Supply
    Hello everybody, I am new to this forum and this is my second post starting today

Badminton has always been one of my favorite feather sports as it is fast pace and have to make quick decisions on each critical point.

As far as I am concern and keeping up with the Men's Double stage performance. The Denmark's Men's Double Mathias Boe & Carsten Mogensen. They are consistent in both Defense and Offense. China's Men's Double Fu Hai Feng & Cai Yun has very fast and hard playing style which make it difficult for weaker in defense and reflex. Of course Fu Hai Feng's offensive thunderous smash is undoubtedly most admired by many:) Hope Fu & Cai will achieve their dream in badminton before retirement.

8. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

I don't think he only improved his serves.

Comparing 2009 and now, FHF is much more effective both in defense and at the frontcourt. He used to be over committed to his backhand when defending but since 2010, he's adopted a very balanced stance. Also, he used to miss so many points at the front court even when opportunity presents itself but he very very rarely screw up now. He is also much more aggressive when receiving service. Overall, he's improved his overall play significantly.

9. visor

visor Regular Member

Very true. He used to be only a backcourt player but over the past year he's shown that he can play forecourt very well too with his net plays, interceptions, drives, service and returns. That's probably some contributing factor in making them the #1 MD pair for the past year.

10. General Foo

General Foo Regular Member

student
    Very much agree. FHF has worked really hard on his defence and net play. He will never be CY and why would he be but he still needs to work on driving the shuttle back. When defending, he only plays two options--short to the net or clears it back. If he can drive into space then they would be unstoppable. He does react slightly slower than CY so he stands further back. Thus, he can only lift or block. If he had more faith in his speed, stood slighly more forward then he could stoop down then use the drive defence. Obv im no national coach to lecture FHF but i think he could work on this area.

That being said, you have to rem it is not his role in the partnership to drive the shuttle back and follow it in. They want CY at the front and FHF at back so he has to drive into space cross court for CY to rush in. This is not easy which is probs why we see FHF either play safer returns or make errors. Still CY and FHF are awesome!

11. Yoppy

Yoppy Regular Member

Do you realise you just revealed the secret of the secret ingredient of the secret laksa recipes, on this Guangdong chicken noodle thread. Doomsday!! China will dominate the for the rest of our life and only the Dragon warrior with his inner peace can save us now..................................

12. a|extan

a|extan Regular Member

maybe every1 have to cut down on mac...?

:confused:

13. winnie-kid

winnie-kid Regular Member

college student
    In my opinoin, his defense has been improved a lot over last 7 or 8 years and the 2009Sudirman Cup final testified this, as I remember ;)

14. Licin

Licin Regular Member

Student
    In fact all areas that FHF has been lacking of during the past few years has improved significantly.. Defense, Net Shot, Drive....The same goes to JJS, his net shot & placement has considerably improved as well....LYD smash power has improved a lot too, due to him gaining some muscles as his age advances...CY is still fast and deadly, wonderful playmaker.. These two pairs have done their homework very well..

Therefore LYD/JJS clash with CY/FHF is such an entertaining match to watch & learn..

15. extremenanopowe

extremenanopowe Regular Member

Chief Coach. The best and still active.
    www.extreme-power.org or xtremexn.blogspot.com
    FHF did improve but they are also getting older. Their opponent is also improving faster. ;)

Not easy for them coz, CY need to feed him to smash. CY in not young anymore.

Still they are pretty impressive with things work out for them. ;)

In OG, everyone will be more cautious. Especially the top 4 teams. ;)

Boils down to the form of the day. ;)