Klipper M140 Scale, accurate?

Discussion in 'Badminton Stringing Techniques & Tools' started by Shoutsu, May 18, 2011.

1. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

I recall someone saying before that the conversion chart on the Klipper machine is not exactly accurate.

I've recently done some string jobs for other players who are definitely more advanced than I am, and both of them have said that their strings felt a little loose. Not a lot, but a little.

I strung accordingly to the scale, and I was wondering if this scale is accurate, or if someone else has any suggestions on what I should go by?

I don't have any tensioning measurement tools so I can't exactly calibrate it.

2. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

What are they asking for and what are you tensioning on the mains x crosses? But if in doubt, always string 1lb higher

3. silentheart

silentheart Regular Member

Please be more specific on your question.
    I am guessing you are referring to my post that to get the correct tension with badminton weight, one should go with tensionx3. For example, 20lb with badminton weight, set the weight at 60lb while 25lb with badminton weight, set at 75lb. Yes, I did test my M140 with digital scale. The actual tension on my M140 is off by ~0.5lb light side.
    If you ever look at the Klipper USA M140 conversion chart, you would see the weight conversion is not linear. I did call and verify that to get a right conversion, multiply the badminton weight by 3.
    You should get a digital scale and verify the tension when you buy any stringing machine. Taht way, you know what you are getting and adjust accordingly.
    Regarding the little loose comment, make sure the drop weight is close to horizantal level as possible.

4. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Yes, indeed, I was talking about your reply last time. I always take my time stringing and I make sure the drop weight is almost exactly horizontal before clamping. But yes, I have been using Klipper's Conversion scale without the ability to actually check out for myself if it is accurate or not. However, after those comments, I became a little unsure. Where would you get a digital scale? And how much would that cost?

5. silentheart

I assume you are in CAN right now. If that is the case, go to local walmart or sporting good store. You can find one under outdoor/fishing section. They are about ~$10 to $15 in US. Or go to ebay.

6. silentheart

7. Shoutsu

Shoutsu Regular Member

Ahh I see. Many thanks. I haven't gotten it yet, but I strung today at your recommended conversion scale. Will test out tomorrow to see how it feels :)

8. LazyBuddy

LazyBuddy Regular Member

Engineer
    Scale / calibration is important, but there are other factors to be considered regarding tension loss, such as clamping and knotting. When I first got M140 (10+ years ago), I tried to use the OEM clamp to do the job, and noticed there are significant tension loss when dealing with higher tension jobs. Once I upgraded my clamps to HQ / Yonex, what a difference...