User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Results 1 to 17 of 23

Thread: String tension

  1. #1
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default String tension

    Hi I am sure you guys know me by now anyways, I need some tip about string tension, so I been playing with 27lb and I think I strong enough to play 30lb, but the things I am in fear that it will break my racket, and because of this fear I stuck 27lb for like one year even though I think I should be strong enough for 30lb. I want to up level but fear my racket frame will break, I have 3 racket at the moment, VTZF 2, LIning N90 and Armortech 900 power, So do you think this 3 racket is safee to string at 30lb? because I don't have money to buy new racket, and I feel 27lb too low for me. Also what string should I use for 30lb tension? I practice twice a week 3 hour each session. I am sick of my string tension keep dropping and really hinder my performance. Thanks need some suggestion thanks.

  2. #2
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Europe
    Posts
    189
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    The N90 can take 30 lbs+ without suffering. (mine still ok after 4 years of 30 lbs)

    The others i don't know ( but i know that pro players who use them play at 30 lbs+)

    If you play with a think and soft string like bg65, you can change to thinner strings like nbg98, bg66xyz or to a stiffer string like bg80.
    AFAIK LCW played usually only at 28 lbs bg66.

  3. #3
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    what about VOltric z force 2 ok at 30lb? and what about armortec 900, I am not worry about armortec 900 cuz is cheap just worry about the voltric z force 2.

  4. #4
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    from Indonesia, now in China
    Posts
    2,478
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Usually pro players can go as high as 38lbs (of course they don't need to pay their racket if they broke it).
    for new racket, 30lbs should be fine (even fake rackets can handle 30lbs these days)

  5. #5
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,567
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    What string are you currently using?

  6. #6
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    bg 80, can bg 80 hold 80 would it break and how often do I have to change I am poor haha help.

  7. #7
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,567
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    You can try thinner strings for stiffer feel without stressing your racket.

    What about the bg80 that you don't like? Power, control, feel, etc?

  8. #8
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I like bg80, wow Visor you live in vancouver I live in there too haha maybe we can book a court and we play? I am from malaysia but move there 3 years ago haha. ya got facebook or what number so we can contact with each other??

  9. #9
    Regular Member visor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Vancouver, BC
    Posts
    10,567
    Mentioned
    146 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Lol... I'm from MAS too, but like 36 yrs ago...

    Where do you play?

  10. #10
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    you got facebook or other things so we can contact? we have instance chat better so we can chat faster haha. add my skype johnlean94 we can chat there or if u want to talk fine by me.

  11. #11
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,446
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john1994 View Post
    Hi I am sure you guys know me by now anyways, I need some tip about string tension, so I been playing with 27lb and I think I strong enough to play 30lb, but the things I am in fear that it will break my racket, and because of this fear I stuck 27lb for like one year even though I think I should be strong enough for 30lb. I want to up level but fear my racket frame will break, I have 3 racket at the moment, VTZF 2, LIning N90 and Armortech 900 power, So do you think this 3 racket is safee to string at 30lb? because I don't have money to buy new racket, and I feel 27lb too low for me. Also what string should I use for 30lb tension? I practice twice a week 3 hour each session. I am sick of my string tension keep dropping and really hinder my performance. Thanks need some suggestion thanks.
    If you can't afford new racquets, don't increase the tension. It's that simple.

  12. #12
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    The Netherlands
    Posts
    31
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    I also think most racquets can hold 30+ lbs. Don't know ahout N90 and ZF2, but AT900P are prone to crack at 4 or 8 o'clock. The string cuts through the frame there. I've experienced it and heard it from others too. It can hold the tension, but be careful. I recommend using those rubbers you can put between grommets.

    Or you can try BG80 or thinner strings. BG80 feels really hard.

  13. #13
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    ok i dont put 30lb, what about 28lb is that ok?

  14. #14
    Moderator
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Outside the box
    Posts
    14,446
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john1994 View Post
    ok i dont put 30lb, what about 28lb is that ok?
    Everything is balanced by risk. If you can afford it, go for it.

  15. #15
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    Malaysia
    Posts
    70
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Everything is balanced by risk. If you can afford it, go for it.
    ok thanks what are the percentage of risk? if is low I will go for 30lb, if high then gg haha

  16. #16
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john1994 View Post
    ok thanks what are the percentage of risk? if is low I will go for 30lb, if high then gg haha
    No One can give you a percentage of risk. Its very individual. There are so many variables: your strengh, stringers job, condition of the racket, how often you have clashes with your double-partner, racket material, 3U/4U racket...
    In my opinion a clash with some other racket is the biggest problem, if your racket is in good condition & the stringer make a good job (change grommets etc.). All your rackets are 3U? Do Yonex give for all of your rackets the same advise of the max. tension?

    And like the others said: thinner strings need less tension to have the same effect, cause they have less cross-sectional area. But when a grommet is defekt a thinner string will stress the frame harder. But in my opinion take a thinner string is a good way to get less risk for the same effekt.

    At the end you have to choose, if you are unlucky your frame can also breakt at 27lb next time....

  17. #17
    Regular Member
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    germany
    Posts
    45
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by john1994 View Post
    ok thanks what are the percentage of risk? if is low I will go for 30lb, if high then gg haha
    No One can give you a percentage of risk. Its very individual. There are so many variables: your strengh, stringers job, condition of the racket, how often you have clashes with your double-partner, racket material, 3U/4U racket...
    In my opinion if your racket is in good condition & the stringer make a good job (change grommets etc.) the risk isnt that high, but a clash with some other racket is the biggest problem. All your rackets are 3U? Do Yonex give for all of your rackets the same advise of the max. tension?

    And like the others said: thinner strings need less tension to have the same effect, cause they have less cross-sectional area. But when a grommet is defekt a thinner string will stress the frame harder. But in my opinion take a thinner string is a good way to get less risk for the same effekt.

    At the end you have to choose, if you are unlucky your frame can also break at 27lb next time....


    And when the string snap, cut the whole string immediatly. I have heard that for some people the racket crash later, cause they dont cut the string.
    Last edited by biborinho; 01-13-2015 at 12:04 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •