User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Default Backhand Technique - How to backhand clear, smash, and drop

I made a new video. Enjoy!

And for those who haven't seen the other videos..

Pronation Technique - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNVC5PVJyPQ
    Grip Guide - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UBzn3jyEs5k

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice, now we have a go to video for everyone requesting backhand tips! Not enough backhand smashing though, never enough backhand smashing. Also you forgot to put in normal slice, but no biggie

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Very nicely done! Now we can refer to this video when anyone asks about backhand.

One tiny point though: you should mention about keeping the arm relaxed throughout the stroke until strike, when grip tightens with thumb pushing at point of impact. Also mention of short follow thru with the shoulder "collapsing" into relaxed position immediately after.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Very nicely done! Now we can refer to this video when anyone asks about backhand.

One tiny point though: you should mention about keeping the backhand smash throughout the backhand smash until backhand smash, when backhand smash with backhand smash at point of backhand smash. Also mention of backhand smash thru with the backhand smash "backhand smashing" into backhand smash immediately after.
    I second this notion

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

very nice video.....in the video the guy is using bevel grip for backhand, so what do u guys suggest is the thumb grip more effective or bevel?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I always use bevel grip. In the video thejym said that you can change your grip to the one you are talking about to help you hit the shuttle when it's behind you. I don't bother with that, I just use the bevel grip and hit the shot adding in wrist extension like you would with a backhand smash.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
    I second this notion
    Lol! Looks like someone likes to backhand smash a lot!

It's a good weapon to have in the arsenal, if you have a good backhand drop to keep your opponent on his toes. And it does require better footwork, timing and technique in order to get behind the shuttle to strike the bird down with some angle and accuracy.

However, don't be expecting to do this too often as it is a very demanding shot and not as powerful as a round the head forehand smash. Once you lose the surprise element, the chances of a return coming back are higher and more difficult to deal with because your back is towards the net momentarily making it difficult to get to the shuttle if your backhand smash is counter attacked.
    Last edited by visor; 05-19-2011 at 09:22 PM.

Mentioned
    114 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by TsAr83 View Post
    very nice video.....in the video the guy is using bevel grip for backhand, so what do u guys suggest is the thumb grip more effective or bevel?
    I wouldn't worry about this too much also. Whatever that gets you the desired power and placement into the court, depending on how deep behind you that you're taking the bird.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    Lol! Looks like someone likes to backhand smash a lot!

It's a good weapon to have in the arsenal, if you have a good backhand drop to keep your opponent on his toes. And it does require better footwork, timing and technique in order to get behind the shuttle to strike the bird down with some angle and accuracy.

However, don't be expecting to do this too often as it is a very demanding shot and not as powerful as a round the head forehand smash. Once you lose the surprise element, the chances of a return coming back are higher and more difficult to deal with because your back is towards the net momentarily making it difficult to get to the shuttle if your backhand smash is counter attacked.
    Pfft it's not about whether it comes back or not, it's the cool points you get for hitting one. Well the good thing about it is that it looks the same as a normal backhand slice drop and a backhand punch clear. And the footwork isn't the hard part, the hard part is generating the power once you get there since your body will be moving away from the net. You gotta push towards the net with your non racket leg, that way you can still get the power even if your body isn't going in the right direction. Round the head smash may be more powerful (sometimes), but in some places you wouldn't want to hit one as you'd be too far off balanced, but you don't get that problem with a backhand smash. Therefore you should backhand smash all the time, even if it's deep forehand. Hell, you should learn a backhand smash with both hands, so you'd never have to hit another forehand ever again.

Mentioned
    54 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)

very nicely done!! and good technique. not many people can hit the backhand with such form and ease.

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thats a great explanation of the basic technique Nice work mate! I too would have liked to hear more about the importance of relaxation, but never mind! Maybe a bit about grip tightening too? Anyhoo: great video. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Very good string of videos.

Clear explanation and demonstration that make it look almost easy.

Thank you for posting such informative videos.

Keep up the good work

Flixor

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I couldn't keep up with how the slice was done (

and one more thing, I've been reading about how extending the arm during backhand clears may cause injuries. Is there any truth to this, since the arm was fully extended during the shot.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How do you do the reverse slice???

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For a reverse slice start the backhand normally then abduct your wrist at the last moment (bring your wrist towards you like you're going to drink something)

Timz it can cause injury if you hyperextend it during a backhand, which is basically letting your elbow cushion the shot.
    Last edited by kenzo; 05-20-2011 at 08:49 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Nice video, when the shuttle is behind , the panhandle grip indicated in the video is correct. using a bevel grip when the shuttle is behind would never generate a clean impact. That reverse slice is a treat, I have now learn the shot which is now added to my backhand collection.

For those who have time to hit a backhand smash , you guys need to play against better opponent. as i only use that shot against weaker opposition or during a practice game. Against stronger player using a backhand smash is virtually giving the point away .....and if you could and have good footwork ; always hit the round the head shot , which give yourself more option.

The most effective backhand shot if you are force to hit a backhand would be the steep straight drop .....and now thanks to thejym I have got the reverse slice as well which has given me a new dimension against my opponents.

This is the most useful article on this forum so far.......
    Last edited by staiger; 05-20-2011 at 01:45 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by staiger View Post
    Nice video, when the shuttle is behind , the panhandle grip indicated in the video is correct. using a bevel grip when the shuttle is behind would never generate a clean impact.
    Wat. No, depends on how you hit it. Pure supination yes, adding wrist extension no. Also you don't always need time to hit a backhand smash, the most effective place to use it is on interception on a low lift. Although this thread isn't about whether the shot is appropriate or not, it's obvious that backhand smashes mostly aren't appropriate.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast