User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by visor View Post
    look at 2:17 to 2:20 slow mo

there is a very short and quick drop of the hand and racket head along with very quick pronation on the backswing... just before the elbow leads upwards on the forward swing. that right there is a very quick eccentric contraction that kenzo refers to
    OK, got it, thanks for your help!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by alexh View Post
    OK, got it, thanks for your help!
    glad to help out!

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by staiger View Post
    I would also demonstrate a few backhand smashs and clear in super slow-mo , full court view + camera above court especially for our friend Visor here ,
    Hehe, no need to... already know how to clear baseline to baseline and smash with a steep angle with my backhand.

With due respect, it's just that I didn't see any birds clear to the baseline nor smashed with steep angles in thejym's video. But we muchly appreciate his explanation and breaking down the technique into its parts.

Now, this guy has steep angles but not enough power. The difficulty in getting power into the backhand smash is two-fold: the footwork has to be fast enough to get behind the bird, and by doing this, allows the player to lean into the bird at strike. This last part is critical for power.

Last edited by visor; 05-22-2011 at 07:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hehe, no need to... already know how to clear baseline to baseline and smash with a steep angle with my backhand.

With due respect, it's just that I didn't see any clear to the baseline nor smash with steep angles in thejym's video.
    ok, we wont dedicate the video to you but you are paying for the production since you requested it .hehe.

His smash had a fair steepness to them , he did say he is only 5'9 , powerwise is ok since placement and steepness are most important. His clear looks like that they will reach within one feet to the baseline,thats only an assumption base on the impact

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think both of you should borrow a speed gun, record and post a video of you backhand smashing to see who has the fastest backhand smash. Winner gets to break all of the other person's rackets in front of them. Sound good? Taking bets now.. anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Now I have another question for you guys. You know that backswing stores energy into your muscle eccentrically. The more you accelerate into pronation, the more your muscle contracts, hence more energy stores. Does that means that you should supinate first? Then backswing would be more accelerated (meaning more energy) and the fore swing would be more powerful? Although it sounds confusing, it seems somewhat logical, right?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khoai View Post
    Now I have another question for you guys. You know that backswing stores energy into your muscle eccentrically. The more you accelerate into pronation, the more your muscle contracts, hence more energy stores. Does that means that you should supinate first? Then backswing would be more accelerated (meaning more energy) and the fore swing would be more powerful? Although it sounds confusing, it seems somewhat logical, right?
    the double action sounds too complex to be used consistently...
    plus there is no point in exceeding the stretch limit of the muscle fibres in storing the energy

just imagine the split step (which causes an eccentric contraction when you land). there is not much to gain from jumping higher to do the split step

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by khoai View Post
    Such a good and logical question to ask. You will find that your muscles only start storing elastic energy after a certain point, any position before and the energy put in to move to that point is effectively wasted. In other words supinating first would not store as much energy as starting from a relaxed state.

Oh, one could in turn ask whether starting from a pronated position would be more helpful. In theory yes, however in practice, starting from a relaxed state will enable the weight of the racket to pronate for you, removing the need. However if you don't have a racket in your hand, you will find that it does actually help. You can try this out for yourself.
    Last edited by kenzo; 05-22-2011 at 11:38 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

With due respect, it's just that I didn't see any birds clear to the baseline nor smashed with steep angles in thejym's video. But we muchly appreciate his explanation and breaking down the technique into its parts.

Now, this guy has steep angles but not enough power. The difficulty in getting power into the backhand smash is two-fold: the footwork has to be fast enough to get behind the bird, and by doing this, allows the player to lean into the bird at strike. This last part is critical for power.
    I can get the same angles if I smash from half-court As you can see, he's taking about a step back from where he serves when he smashes... you don't even see where the rear doubles service line is in the back because the furthest line is slightly curved (probably a basketball 3pt line or something), so he's really mid-court.

Next time I'll know to point the camera from a better angle... I didn't want you guys to see the crappy net that we use in that gym. Or I'll record it when I'm in a better gym. Any ideas for the next video? What does everyone want to see?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Doubles backhand short and flick serves?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Backhand jump smash followed by an "oh nuts I'm gonna get taxi'd" full court dive?

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Requests? Hmmm... drives? Defense? Or shall we tire you out more... footwork And speed guns on the backhand smash is a great idea kenzo - harsh consequences, but infinitely funny.

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
    Backhand jump smash ?
    Nah, Taufik already has one on YouTube.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Naw man, that's a girly hop not a jump!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thejym,

some backhand defenses would be appreciated and the correct technique for forehand drop shots

There are those very tight net-kill I see from the pros ...the shuttle is barely over the net and they launch forward and still have the technique to kill the bird

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

thanks for the vid! i gotta try that reverse slice backhand drop shot sometime...
    i have some questions though

1. youre not supposed to lock your elbow when youre doing any of those shots correct?

2. is your grip pretty loose most of the time? you just grip firmly at the moment of contact?

3. you need a strong wrist for backhand smashes/clears correct? or is it just good technique?

Mentioned
    120 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kenzo View Post
    Naw man, that's a girly hop not a jump!
    Shucks man, you should've specified that you wanted a manly jump.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast