Backhand Technique - How to backhand clear, smash, and drop

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by thejym, May 19, 2011.

1. thejym

thejym Regular Member

2. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Nice, now we have a go to video for everyone requesting backhand tips! Not enough backhand smashing though, never enough backhand smashing. Also you forgot to put in normal slice, but no biggie

3. visor

visor Regular Member

Very nicely done! Now we can refer to this video when anyone asks about backhand.

One tiny point though: you should mention about keeping the arm relaxed throughout the stroke until strike, when grip tightens with thumb pushing at point of impact. Also mention of short follow thru with the shoulder "collapsing" into relaxed position immediately after.

4. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

I second this notion

5. TsAr83

TsAr83 Regular Member

very nice video.....in the video the guy is using bevel grip for backhand, so what do u guys suggest is the thumb grip more effective or bevel?

6. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

I always use bevel grip. In the video thejym said that you can change your grip to the one you are talking about to help you hit the shuttle when it's behind you. I don't bother with that, I just use the bevel grip and hit the shot adding in wrist extension like you would with a backhand smash.

7. visor

visor Regular Member

Lol! Looks like someone likes to backhand smash a lot!

It's a good weapon to have in the arsenal, if you have a good backhand drop to keep your opponent on his toes. And it does require better footwork, timing and technique in order to get behind the shuttle to strike the bird down with some angle and accuracy.

However, don't be expecting to do this too often as it is a very demanding shot and not as powerful as a round the head forehand smash. Once you lose the surprise element, the chances of a return coming back are higher and more difficult to deal with because your back is towards the net momentarily making it difficult to get to the shuttle if your backhand smash is counter attacked.

#7 visor, May 19, 2011
    Last edited: May 19, 2011
  8. visor

visor Regular Member

I wouldn't worry about this too much also. Whatever that gets you the desired power and placement into the court, depending on how deep behind you that you're taking the bird.

9. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Pfft it's not about whether it comes back or not, it's the cool points you get for hitting one. Well the good thing about it is that it looks the same as a normal backhand slice drop and a backhand punch clear. And the footwork isn't the hard part, the hard part is generating the power once you get there since your body will be moving away from the net. You gotta push towards the net with your non racket leg, that way you can still get the power even if your body isn't going in the right direction. Round the head smash may be more powerful (sometimes), but in some places you wouldn't want to hit one as you'd be too far off balanced, but you don't get that problem with a backhand smash. Therefore you should backhand smash all the time, even if it's deep forehand. Hell, you should learn a backhand smash with both hands, so you'd never have to hit another forehand ever again.

10. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    very nicely done!! and good technique. not many people can hit the backhand with such form and ease.

11. MSeeley

MSeeley Regular Member

Professional
    Thats a great explanation of the basic technique :D Nice work mate! I too would have liked to hear more about the importance of relaxation, but never mind! Maybe a bit about grip tightening too? Anyhoo: great video. Thanks for taking the time to make them.

12. Flixor

Flixor Regular Member

Very good string of videos.

Clear explanation and demonstration that make it look almost easy.

Thank you for posting such informative videos.

Keep up the good work :)

Flixor

13. Timz :]

Timz :] Regular Member

I couldn't keep up with how the slice was done :((

and one more thing, I've been reading about how extending the arm during backhand clears may cause injuries. Is there any truth to this, since the arm was fully extended during the shot.

14. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    How do you do the reverse slice???

15. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

For a reverse slice start the backhand normally then abduct your wrist at the last moment (bring your wrist towards you like you're going to drink something)

Timz it can cause injury if you hyperextend it during a backhand, which is basically letting your elbow cushion the shot.

#15 kenzo, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  16. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    Nice video, when the shuttle is behind , the panhandle grip indicated in the video is correct. using a bevel grip when the shuttle is behind would never generate a clean impact. That reverse slice is a treat, I have now learn the shot which is now added to my backhand collection.

For those who have time to hit a backhand smash , you guys need to play against better opponent. as i only use that shot against weaker opposition or during a practice game. Against stronger player using a backhand smash is virtually giving the point away .....and if you could and have good footwork ; always hit the round the head shot , which give yourself more option.

The most effective backhand shot if you are force to hit a backhand would be the steep straight drop .....and now thanks to thejym I have got the reverse slice as well which has given me a new dimension against my opponents.

This is the most useful article on this forum so far.......

#16 staiger, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  17. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

Wat. No, depends on how you hit it. Pure supination yes, adding wrist extension no. Also you don't always need time to hit a backhand smash, the most effective place to use it is on interception on a low lift. Although this thread isn't about whether the shot is appropriate or not, it's obvious that backhand smashes mostly aren't appropriate.

18. khoai

khoai Regular Member

Hey thejym,

Thanks for the great video. Is it possible to create a video running backward, see if it matches your forehand pronation technique?

19. kenzo

kenzo Regular Member

20. Tactim

Tactim Regular Member

Nurse
    LOL! I love the reverse video of that shot. It looks like some funky dance move with the way he moves his hips with his arm =p.

Awesome video of the backhand and an excellent complement to the video you did about forehand pronation technique. Thank you!