new acquisition: Yonex Carbonex 8 old logo

Discussion in 'Badminton Rackets / Equipment' started by kwun, May 19, 2011.

1. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    have you ever bought a badminton racket and end up spending more on gas money than on the racket itself?

i bought this pristine condition old logo Yonex Carbonex 8 via craigslist for a grand total of US$4 !! (four dollars). i had to drive around 25 miles round trip to collect it though so at today's gas prices, that's around 5 dollars.

but what a beauty. the seller claims 10 yrs old but we know that the logo switch was sometime in the late 90s so it must be at least 12 years old or so if not more. the condition is great. the grip has started to disintegrate. and the string looks original. what string could it be? there is no model number, simply just "YONEX". and the tension is not bad, probably around 17lbs.

it also include the cover. also in good condition.

how many of us remember carrying just the cab8 + cover in our backpack and heads off to school for some badminton during recess?

what memories...

2M6Q1308.jpg 2M6Q1313.jpg 2M6Q1304.jpg 2M6Q1307.jpg 2M6Q1310.jpg 2M6Q1316.jpg 2M6Q1318.jpg 2M6Q1314.jpg 2M6Q1317.jpg 2M6Q1311.jpg 2M6Q1315.jpg 2M6Q1312.jpg 2M6Q1309.jpg

2. weeyeh

weeyeh Regular Member

Gorgeous... Simpy gorgeous.

3. drowsysmurf

drowsysmurf Regular Member

Make ppl happy O_O
    didn't have luxury of carbon shaft yonex... i was carrying around a steel/aluminum carlton racket. first real carbon racket that was mine was an RSL super flex.

4. teojb

teojb Regular Member

looks to be in really good condition. the cone on mine (actually my dad's) is loose.

5. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i have to confess that i never owned a cab8. i started off with a Blacken II and after using that for a while, switched to a cab18.

but the memories are still the same.

and one of the reason why i wanted to get this racket, now finally i have a cab8 of my own.

6. kwun

kwun Administrator

BC Janitor
    i covered up the disintegrating grip with a black RKEP G09. now it is ready to battle again. but i think i might just hit with it for a few and then make it a part of my collection.

7. Voltric

Voltric Regular Member

I remember using this in school. It's like owning a Ferrari. Everyone wanted one.

8. jamesd20

jamesd20 Moderator

Construction
    Old logo, newer graphics. Doesn't it have any Code on the shaft? I have rackets older than that that have codes on. (In fact orig Cab8 with them on)

Maybe because the new graphics was lower end & no codes?

9. faizyusof94

faizyusof94 Regular Member

still student
    i have 2 of this..one is red the other is same like this blue..but in brutal condition..still using it as my training racket..i lost 1 of its cover since i move around a lot in peninsular malaysia..i'll post mine later :D

10. Cheung

Cheung Moderator

wannabe badminton phototaker
    It's not that old. I can tell because it has "SP" on it. As James said, the graphics are the newer ones so this is not one of the late 80's generation.

I wouldn't get too excited about it.;)

#10 Cheung, May 20, 2011
    Last edited: May 20, 2011
  11. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

;) Can only agree with the experts above. New Carbonex font is mid-nineties. Still a nice pickup though for $4 + gas and the awesome old logo (am going to put that back on my strings [​IMG]). Reminds me someone is selling an original Cab21 (used but looks quite mint in the pic) in the area. Think I will just have to contact and swing by to check them out, will be 10x more expensive that that Cab8 though :D but comes with a second racket, something boron but not Yonex (Pro Kennex iirc). And I can reach it on the bicyclette in 5-10 minutes ...

#11 demolidor, May 20, 2011
  12. Avenger

Avenger Regular Member

Student
    boron from winex?

I got the old cab 8 :D
    still used it till last year
    it's a great racket I must say

13. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

;) "but not Yonex (Pro Kennex iirc)". Also an oval so most likely an oldie as well, with hopefully the expensive kind/amount of Boron :D.

Just now reading Kwun's gas usage cost him $5 at today's prices :D. Yeah real expensive :p (a gallon costs ~$8.70 over here at the cheapest gaspumps which is less than I expected as for ease of use I generally just use 1 gallon = 4 liters)

#13 demolidor, May 20, 2011
  14. allyjack110

allyjack110 Regular Member

University Graduate (History)
    I'm not sure what I am more jealous of: a) the fact that you bought a pristine Cab 8 for the same price as a McFlurry and Big Mac, or b) the fact that you pay so little for petrol. :mad: