Buying badminton shoes online

Discussion in 'Clothing & Footwear' started by hakfu, May 20, 2011.

1. hakfu

hakfu Regular Member

Okay,

So basicly I'm in need of new badminton shoes. I've been using these asics gel something which are meant for "racket games", they were randomly bought from a local shop for allround indoor sport usage. Been playin basicly everything from basketball to floorball with them during the last 2-3 years.

What makes buying new shoes difficult is, that we don't have any serious badminton gear retailers in the area, the local sport shops only have a couple badminton specific shoes for sale. So basicly I'm forced to buy online.

So, having to buy online, what should I do to maximize the likelihood of getting a pair that fits my feet?

For example, can I assume that if I go in a shop and I find a random pair of Yonex or Victor shoes that the width will be around the same in other models of the same company (unless ofc stated wide or smth like that).

Thanks in advance,
    -Tony

2. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

For Yonex, the international shoe line is pretty much the same width (3E). So "around the same" can be assumed. Personally I try to find out the size in cm/mm for comparison across brands (Yonex size 43 = 27.5cm, 44 = 28cm). Just check out the different sizes for 27.5cm here :d http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/TWInt/Twint_Pages/shoe.html

3. hakfu

hakfu Regular Member

I checked some links and used: http://shoes.about.com/od/mens_size_charts/a/men_width.htm as a reference.

My feet are 44-45 EU, aka 10-10.5 US. And based on my calculations I should get a 4.2"ish wide shoe. Which would basicly mean "1E".

From the major brands, which models would best fit this requirement? (Victor, Yonex, Asics)

4. demolidor

demolidor Regular Member

The wide ratings for badminton shoes is different than above for normal shoes and from running shoes. Rather than calculate I suggest you actually measure it like it's done in one of the links. But say they actually measure 4.2 inch (10.7cm) then 3E/standard width badminton shoes should be fine ...
    I mean the width of your feet surely doesn't directly relate to what shoe size in length you are? (as suggested in your link and the video in my link)
    Also your Asics should have a cm size on the label or box if you still have it

#4 demolidor, May 21, 2011
    Last edited: May 21, 2011
  5. cobalt

cobalt Moderator

Yes
  6. Porky

Porky Regular Member

Seriously the best is to try out the shoes urself...buying online is a big risk in that ur feet may not be suitable for that shoe even though the size matches....sometimes the arch feels uncomfortable or too high or watever.... :)

7. hakfu

hakfu Regular Member

It's a tough choice, wether to
    Buy something that feels nice in the shop, even though it does not have as good features / quality for badminton.
    or
    Buy online something you know is great for badminton, but not sure it will suit your feet.

My current plan is to go test as many shoes as possible in the shops, and try to draw conclusions what kind of shoes that I'd buy online would be a match.