Buy Mx80 or Wait for Mx70

Discussion in 'Racket Recommendation / Comparison' started by CanadianBadmint, May 21, 2011.

1. CanadianBadmint

CanadianBadmint Regular Member

Student
    Hi guys, I want to buy a racket that is slightly head heavier than my ns9900 and around the same if not identical stiffness. The two rackets that have caught my eye are the mx80 and the soon to be released mx70. But I have a dilemma. I'm confused about the stiffness of the mx80 :confused:. Some say its a lot stiffer than my ns9900 but others say I won't notice it. So would it suit me coming off of a ns9900? Or should I just wait for the mx70 which should be less stiff? I'm just worried that the final spec of the mx70 will be a lot less stiff than the ns9900. Help me decide :(

2. CanucksDynasty

CanucksDynasty Regular Member

Working to pay for badminton stuff
    Buy the MX80 and see well you can play with it. If it meets you needs then keep it. If not, then sell it and buy the MX70.

The MX80 has a similar paint job to my VT80 so I'm going with the MX70. :D

3. visor

visor Regular Member

the mx80 would be more similar to the ns9900 in stiffness

in other words, if you like your ns9900 stiffness, then you'll like the mx80 :D

4. blindfury

blindfury Regular Member

9900 has alot of variations, that's one problem.

but, mx80s in general, are stiffer than 9900s, yonex bouncier feel shaft, victor solid(er) feel shaft.

5. Maklike Tier

Maklike Tier Regular Member

Unoccupied
    Look, the MX80 is weird, there's no getting around it. I don't know how they've done it, but I play really badly with stiff rackets except the MX80. It just doesn't play as stiff as you would expect after you've done the obligatory "swing it 'round, flex the shaft" couch test.

If you can wield the NS9900, you'll be fine with the MX80, trust me. :)

6. CanadianBadmint

Student
    Thanks guys. I think what I'll do is wait for the mx70 to come out, and then try out both and see which one suits me better. The mx80 might drop in price by then too so its win win. :)

7. yurimaster2010

yurimaster2010 Regular Member

Consultant
    bro u should not wait but go out and buy VT70 intead

8. CanadianBadmint

Student
    I've tried the VT70 many times before and I personally feel that its too flexible for my liking so I've crossed it out. I just need help deciding on the mx80 or the mx70.

9. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    It won't drop in price because the the MX70 won't be an 'improved' version of the MX80, just one with a different spec.

Seriously, I had a NS9900 and couldn't play with it, so if I can wield the MX80, you sure as heck can.

Don't be scared :)

10. CanadianBadmint

Student
    That's a good reassurance. The thing is, my friend has an mx80. But I never really thought to try it out because he put on a massive grip that I didn't like and it also affected the balance. I guess I'll try it out to feel the stiffness but I think the affected balance (probably head lighter than my ns9900) will alter the results. Oh well :rolleyes:

11. Maklike Tier

Unoccupied
    Simple. Ask if you can borrow it for a couple of matches and grip it how you want, then swap it back after. It will only cost 3 bucks.

Or you can just get one :)

DO IT DO IT DO IT

:D

12. visor

visor Regular Member

if older fogeys like me and maklike can handle mx80's stiffness, you can too

just get the mx80... the mx70 may be too flexy for you just like vt70

13. CanadianBadmint

Student
    Just another quick question. What would the balance point of a fully strung mx80 with a yonex super grap be? After more research, I seem to be getting more confused because of all the different info :confused:. Some people say the balance point is within 290-295mm which is what I want. But then there are a few people saying its around 298-300+ for them. Whats going on? :confused:

14. visor

visor Regular Member

My overgrip is 1.4g heavier than supergrap, and I'm getting bp 292mm. I think Naim has his bp around 298mm using supergrap but he only uses half the roll as he overlaps minimally.

15. CanadianBadmint

Student
    If you don't mind me asking, what overgrip do you use? My optimal balance point I would say is maybe 293ish. So I guess I can get about 294-295 if I use the full supergrap (which I do).

16. visor

visor Regular Member

i'm using rkep g09 elite white, which weighs 6.4g with the tape

a supergrap would weigh 5.6g with the tape.... so 0.8g lighter, sorry... not 1.4g as i mentioned earlier

17. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    With Super Grap my my MX80 is currently at around 300-301mm. That''s with minimal overlapping and the tape of the grip ending just below the 'R' where it says Victor on the cone above the handle.

I actually prefer RKEP G11 to Super Grap, the feel is very similar but the G11 has more grip thanks to the ventilation holes. However, with my MX80 I stick to Super grap as it is a good degree lighter than G11 and increases my BP by over 5mm! G11 and other RKEP grips are heavier than Super Grap.

I'm thinking gripping with G11 next, but this time with less overlapping and no tape. Gripping the way Lee Chong Wei does, starting gripping with the wrong end so you can finish with the sticky tip that all grips come with.

See here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPXtbLnzoU

This might give me some extra BP despite the heavier weight of G11. Bear in mind, White RKEP grips are lighter than coloured one's. I'm using Yellow RKEP grips which are around 2g heavier in the pack compared to the White.

18. CanadianBadmint

Student
    So what do you think the bp would be if you used the entire super grap?

19. visor

visor Regular Member

I thought this is the way most people do it now... starting from the butt end and ending at the cone.

20. Naim.F.C

Naim.F.C Regular Member

Designer | Entrepreneur
    Completely depends on the racket, strings and method of gripping. But probably 295mm to 300mm. Each racket has it's own unique BP thanks to manufacturing deficiencies and differences within the process. There is no set BP among all rackets.