Forehand Clears

Discussion in 'Techniques / Training' started by J_Noodles, May 22, 2011.

1. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Hello,

I just started playing badminton about 4 months ago, and I'm working on hitting clears from baseline to baseline. I cannot seem to hit it from back to back, even though I think I have the strength to. I think it has something to do with an incorrect contact point.
    Are you supposed to hit the shuttle when its beginning to drop down with your arm fully extended?

2. logicalguy

logicalguy Regular Member

The way I do it is to hit it at the highest point you can reach it, and don't let the contact point be behind you. And at impact time use your wrist (snap it slightly) to give it that extra kick. That way I'm able to clear with minimum energy and effort.

3. J_Noodles

J_Noodles Regular Member

Thank you for the tip! I think I have to work on footwork to the rearcourt in order for me to get in front of the shuttle, because I found out I've actually been hitting the shuttle when it has passed over my head.

4. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    Make sure you use the correct forehand grip. The technique is more important than physical strength. Make sure you use pronation when hitting the shuttle. You can find plenty of information about pronation on this forum. Just use the search function.

5. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Actually, do NOT snap your wristr. As bowi12 mentioned, forearm pronation is the proper way to hit the shuttle.

6. alexh

alexh Regular Member

Yes, footwork is important, it's hard to play a good clear if the shuttle has passed behind you. There's lots of good advice about both footwork and racket technique at badmintonbible.com , also search these forums as already mentioned.

7. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Generally u want to hit the shuttle while side on to it and behind it. This allows you to fully twist into the shot to make the power very easy :)

8. logicalguy

Yeah, when I said snapping the wrist slightly, I didn't mean SNAPPING the wrist :p Let me explain:
    When I think about it, I actually supinate my forearm and while doing so my wrist gets cocked a bit and I called that "snapping the wrist". Funny, supination always worked for me and I get baseline to baseline clears comfortably and accurately. Must try pronation, though I can see how it would work.

Hmm, interesting...

9. bowi12

bowi12 Regular Member

student
    That one is new to me. I've never seen anybody hitting a forehand clear while supinating. That's sounds more like a backhand stroke to me. But I'm sure you can do it with your awesomeness.

10. staiger

staiger Regular Member

Investment Banker
    what on earth ........? supination for forehand clear and no pronation...there are more and more of this type of genius on this forum , i give up !!!

11. alexh

alexh Regular Member

I've seen one person who does this regularly. It truly is awesome! I wouldn't recommend anyone to try and copy it, but this guy makes it work.

Think about it: whether you play a forehand or backhand clear, at the point of contact the racket is square on to the shuttle. So what you do is move your forearm as for a backhand, while moving your shoulder as for a forehand, and you get, er, something. It's hard to describe :)

12. raymond

raymond Regular Member

Top Secret
    I'd actually suggest you forget about your footwork for now (in the beginning) and focus on your shot making skill. Have your partner hit it back to you. Hopefully your partner can control it well. This way you have better control of all the variables. Stay relax with your grip/arm/shoulders.

A number of factors can contribute to your problem. Have someone playing (much) better have a look at how you hit. This may be more effective. Yes, contact point could be a factor. And height/curve of your clear matters. A higher clear requires more power than a flatter clear. And an incorrect contact point (e.g. taking the shot late) could make most of your clears the high but not far type.

Then it's your equipment - 1st the shuttle you're using. Is it at the right speed. Some shuttles used in tournaments, e.g. Yonex AS30, are a lot faster than other brands popular in club plays. If your shuttle is slow, as our advanced coach Paul Stewart pointed out in one of the older threads, you'd have quite a bit of problem to muscle with. Then of course it's your racket you're using (too light, head heavy/light), and the string + tension on it.

13. logicalguy

Ha ha, you guys are funny! Ok, I'll go into more pains to explain. When I was little, I was taught (wrongly) that for forehand clears and smashes, after impact, the follow through should bring the racquet down and across the body, with the racquet ending up on my left hand side, to the left of my hip. Hope you get the picture. With this kind of action, its not the forearm pronation but supination that comes into play. So now, obviously, my action is changed, but I find it natural to supinate rather than pronate, somehow, and it works. Does that make me a genius? Probably not, but it is unusual, yes. Sorry if you find it offensive.

14. thejym

thejym Regular Member

Any chance you can make us a video? If you're right-handed, it is correct to bring the racket across your body to your left hip in your follow through.

15. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    How do you guys perform shooting lob (known as fast clears)?? You may see some professionals return their clears very swiftly, extra speedy.

16. gingerphil79

gingerphil79 Regular Member

Sports massage therapist
    Its the same as normal clears but you jus change the angle. Clears goes way up into the air to give you time so you give them height. fast clears are basically the same stroke but dont hit them as high but it has to be high enough to get past his reach!!

17. amleto

amleto Regular Member

this just means you dont know what supinate means

18. erazr

erazr Regular Member

Am I right to say that basic grip will force you to do arm pronation?

19. ZhiWeiZ

ZhiWeiZ Regular Member

Student
    Thanks for the info :)

20. chris-ccc

chris-ccc Regular Member

Professional Badminton Coach & Badminton Promoter
    Are you supposed to hit the shuttle with your arm fully extended ???

Only answering this question:

Are you supposed to hit the shuttle when its beginning to drop down with your arm fully extended?

Answer: To fully extend your arm when hitting an Overhead Forehand Clear, you will lose some control and/or power.

For any movements/actions (for any sports) to keep in control and/or using power, do not have your joints fully extended.
    :):):)