User Tag List

Page 96 of 123 FirstFirst ... 46 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89 90 91 92 93 94 95 96 97 98 99 100 101 102 103 104 105 106 107 108 109 110 ... LastLast
Results 1,616 to 1,632 of 2075
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by mafan View Post
    My comments here refer mainly to the Star Online article about Rashid Sidek’s resignation from BAM which link was provided by mb111 in Post # 1551 in this thread and other recent news about the spat between RS and BAM’s new administration.

The article states that “Since Tengku Mahaleel gave full authority to his Talent Management Group (TMG) director Tan Aik Mong to manage the coaches and players, there has been a major shake-up which has not gone down too well with the coaches.” Oh yeah? I would bet that the Bukit Jalil Sports School coaches who were promoted are delighted. Besides them, I am quite sure there are also others at BAM who are pleased with the shake-up. So if RS and a few others who were comfortable under the old administration are not pleased with the changes, it does not mean the changes have not gone down too well with the coaches. It just means it has not gone down well with RS and those aligned with him.

The article further states that “Some of the changes that have caused uneasiness are the formation of two main groups in the national team, the demotion and promotion of coaches, the introduction of ranking tournaments and a freeze on tournaments for some players.” Out of the four changes cited, I only see one, which is the introduction of ranking tournaments, which apparently did not exist under the old administration. Weren’t the players categorized as “elite”, “back-up”, etc. under Tengku Mahaleel’s predecessor’s tenure? Weren’t coaches demoted and promoted? Yap Kim Hock comes to mind as one who was promoted and then demoted. What about Rexy Mainaky? I definitely remember that some players who did not perform up to the expectations of the former administration had their participation in subsequent tournaments withdrawn.

So what gives, RS? RS was with BAM for the last ten years as a coach and the former president was there for the last thirteen years. He says he cannot work under the new administration due to their supposed meddling in coaching affairs. Didn’t he know what happened with his brother Misbun Sidek? Didn’t he know about Rexy Mainaky? Li Mao? Should I name more? Perhaps he meant to say that he cannot work under the new administration because it will not allow him to continue his merry unproductive ways and collect a generous compensation package while not improving Malaysian badminton?

I am sorry, maybe I am biased but I cannot give RS or Tey Seu Bock credit for Lee Chong Wei’s winning ways. I attribute LCW’s talent and skills to the coach ( I do not recall his name) he had as a child, Li Mao, Misbun Sidek and perhaps one or two more who slip my mind at the moment. I have been keenly following LCW’s progress the past six or more years, and especially so when MS became his coach. I could see his steady improvement under MS. Even though he was still losing to Lin Dan, LCW was slowly getting more victories against LD. I firmly believe that had MS not left, LCW’s win-loss record against LD would have continued to steadily improve, even if LCW may not achieve a winning record against his nemesis.

LCW was already winning most tournaments he participated in while under MS’s guidance. He lacked the World championship and an Olympic gold medal. RS and TSB have not elevated him to World or Olympic glory. In other words, LCW has “stagnated”. He lost to LD who had not played in like eight months. Thanks to RS too who had to antagonize LD and provide further motivation to LD when RS said LD would regret playing in the recently concluded World championships which he won because he had to make RS regret saying those words.

So the issue then is, has RS advanced Malaysian badminton in his ten-year tenure as a coach at BAM? He quits now claiming he is not appreciated and is unable to continue due to the meddling of the new administration. If RS had improved Malaysian badminton, or more specifically Malaysian singles badminton over the past ten years, then perhaps his reasons for leaving would not be so laughable. If Malaysian badminton fans can honestly say that Malaysian badminton (besides LCW) shined brightly under RS, then his claims would have more credibility.

The general consensus is that Malaysian badminton is in dire straits, and that once LCW retires, Malaysia will be a dwarf in the badminton world. In fact it is this sentiment that has brought about the change in the administration at BAM. It is hoped that new leadership would steer Malaysia on a victorious path again.

With this in mind, I do not understand how RS and his thus far unnamed cohorts can come out so strongly against the changes implemented by the new BAM administration. If this band of coaches think they have been effective as coaches, I ask them - where’s the beef? It is not as if RS is in a similar position as Park Joo Bong who almost single-handedly brought Japan out of badminton obscurity. So if RS and company are such good coaches, then the reason why Malaysian badminton has lost much of its awe and respectability in the badminton world is that the former administration hindered their stupendous coaching efforts, effectively negating all positives they as coaches brought to Malaysian badminton.

On the other hand, if the previous administration was good, then it logically means that the coaches were not good since Malaysian badminton declined. If the new administration is bad according to RS and company, then the old administration must have been great because RS was able to work under the old administration for ten years. So if the old administration was great, then it must have been the coaches who were at fault for the decline of Malaysian badminton.

While I applauded certain of the new administration’s changes in Post # 1542 of this thread, I reserved judgment until more time has passed and we can see how the implementation phase comes along. People generally do not like change and are comfortable with the status quo. Egos will be bruised, tempers will flare and feelings will be hurt and the new administration should be mindful of this. It does not mean the new administration should back down but just be tactful but firm and accept the fact that no matter how delicately you try to handle a matter, there will be unhappy people.

I have not been in favor of management meddling in a coach’s job and I think this is why Misbun Sidek left in 2011. I had been critical of the old administration and management’s meddling in coaching. Therefore, while I support the changes by the new administration, I am concerned about the level of participation of management in the coaching aspects. The latter part of the Star Online article bothers me if it is true. “We were given instructions and we are expected to follow without any questions asked”, “I cannot spar with the players and all I need to do is stand outside the court and point my finger here and there and give instructions to players.” For now, I give the benefit of the doubt to the new administration as this may just be an angry RS sounding off. I do believe that coaches may, if the administration deems necessary for the betterment of the badminton program, be shuffled around and promoted or demoted. But they should then be left to coach to their best abilities without or with minimum interference from management.

The previous administration was in place for thirteen years and one of the main criticism of it was that persons who knew nothing or little about badminton held high positions and interfered with the coaches. I hope this administration does not make the same mistake.

Finally, I hope higher-ups such as the National Sports Council or the Sports Ministry will not interfere in this spat, tempting though it might be. Malaysian badminton needed a change and we got a change. Let BAM handle this. The new administration was voted in so let it do its work, just as I hope the new administration will let the coaches do their work with minimum or no interference once all the shuffling has been accomplished. Everyone deserves a chance to do the work they were appointed to do and this new administration deserves that chance, despite the threat of an en masse exodus of coaches. It might even end up as a blessing in disguise, freeing up funds that may be used more effectively to bring badminton up again in Malaysia.

Finally, and I am sorry I had to throw this in - consider bringing back Misbun Sidek.
    Squash have multiple world champion Nicol David - the LD of squash - perhaps
    the BAM management and coaches can learn something from these amazing
    people in the Squash federation.
    They quietly do their job without much tantrum of funfare.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by senior888 View Post
    Maybe LCW's outspokenness is a prelude to him becoming an independent
    player.
    I am sure he is mad about the warning letter and the Japan Open
    may be his last title with BAM.
    If that is what LCW feels, then he can leave. Nobody is indispensable. Either he is blind to not seeing the rot in the system and the bleak future facing Malaysian badminton or he is such a spoiled child that wants all the goodies/attention go his way and pittance go to his teammates, and in cohort with Rashid.
    LCW may be gifted and a baddy child prodigy, he should remember that BAM putting all their resources in him, at the expense of his teammates, that he got to play so many SS to a point it was mentioned that he played too many of them to risk injury. How many SS or gold did his other teammates got to play e.g. TCS, CKB, etc.? And we expect them to become world beaters?
    For RM20M annual budget, LCW and KKK/TBH played the lion share of international baddy, you better be good if you played so many times against the INA, DEN and CHN boys. If TAM/Tengku did not get to run BAM, I fret the fate of the 2 juniors under the previous BAM groupie's and Rashid's control, would they be another TCS? Another wasted talents? Probably.
    LCW may be a great baddy player, I shudder to think what a politician he would be on his reaction to the press on Rashid quiting. He should have keep his thoughts quiet and dealt with TAM/Tengku in private assuming he is really foolish not to see what the heck is going on.
    Rashid quit is the best thing to happen as BAM heads to rebuilding Malaysian badminton. If one of the 3 stooges sat in the coach chair as LCW coach in JO13, that stooge would be credited with LCW's win and gotten the bonus. LCW put on a clinic dissecting NTM in SF without RS/TSB. As I said LCW will win for you, he makes your job easy, you might as well sleep and yawn, and by the time you wake up, you got the bonus cheque and another win in your coaching resume. If Rashid thinks he is such a great coach and contributor, I like to see which country will pursue him to be head coach now that Rashid, the Great Contributor to MAS badminton, is available. Please sign him.
    Last edited by OneToughBirdie; 09-22-2013 at 02:51 AM.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

if u guys know the story of 滥竽充数(will explain when i have time)
    then u know why rashid will leave

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

once upon a time,mister A live in a small country where the king like to listen to a band of musician.
    mister A cant earn any living so he decide to join the band of musician. his life become easy since then.
    one day,the king passed away and replace by his son.
    the new king like to listen solo,mister A know that he will get exposed that he cant play any instrument,so he decide to ran away.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Something relevant :

‘Our athletes lack winning mentality’

September 22, 2013
    Sports psychologist and Universiti Malaya lecturer Dr Balbir Singh gives an insight on the minds of our sportsmen.
    INTERVIEW
    By Nicolas Anil

PETALING JAYA: World number one badminton player Lee Chong Wei was just two points away in the world championships as Malaysia prepared to celebrate an epic win. But that is as far as he gets, as the looming figure of Lin Dan dooms him to yet another crushing defeat.
    How many times have we experienced this time and again?

One of the biggest questions in the local sporting scene begs the answer, how strong our national athletes are mentally?

Sports psychologist and Universiti Malaya lecturer Dr Balbir Singh says our athletes are not made to feel like champions.

“Our athletes are a talented bunch and have the desire to become champions, but the pathway has to be created by the coaches.

“Currently, we have no psychological programme, which is mandatory for any training programme,” he says.

These training progammes must include psychological components such as psychical, technical, tactical and psychology.

“Our approach to sports psychology is wrong and coaches are also hardly applying it,” says Balbir, who has vast working experience with sports associations such as the Malaysian Hockey Federation, Badminton Association Malaysia and Football Association Malaysia.

“Our athletes are not made to feel like champions, and sports science is hardly used except in hockey and squash, where there is a proper psychology training and regime,” he said.

Winning is not everything, winning is the only thing, says Balbir, adding that psychology is a key ingredient for any athlete, and is a telling point between success and failure.

“Psychology is one of the most important components in sports,” he said.

The Westerners put it ahead of everything else. In order to be a champion, you must think you are the best. If you are not, pretend that you are. To quote Vince Lombardi, “Winning is not everything, it is the only thing”.

“Psychology is vital because it creates the winning mentality that you are the best,” he added.

Motivate players according to their strength. In order to motivate an athlete, you must always have to focus on the individual’s strength, says Balbir, who is the first PhD sports science holder in the country.

Do an individual analysis on the athlete, then guide them step-by-step. There must be a scientific and well-planned programme, he said.

The training has also got to be a holistic approach which makes the players feel good and motivated.

We have world beaters

Balbir says Malaysia still has a large talent pool, despite the dearth of athletes excelling on the world stage.

“We do have exceptionally promising athletes in our ranks, believe me,” he said.

Take national junior shuttler Soo Teck Zhi, who recently won the Asia Youth championship. Players like him must have a proper monitoring system, and the state association must constantly liaise with the national body to ensure he progresses on the right track.

Chong Wei is not mentally blocked, he is tactically blocked. Balbir also refuted claims the Chong Wei suffered a mental block against Lin Dan, rather he says the shuttler was not trained to be put under the heat.

“We know Chong Wei’s match against Lin Dan is always going to go down the wire, so why not prepare him for the situation? Have we trained Chong Wei to play at 19-19?

Do that 10 times. Re-enact the situation time and again. If he did this in situations, he will be well prepared.

Mentally, Chong Wei is there. Sports associations are also to be blamed because they are not receptive to new ideas and sports science training.

Set a system based on the players’ ability, not ask the players to copy a system. Vary the training regime. Work on your mistakes, videotape it and learn to improve.

Our sports psychologists not utilised

“We do have world-class local sports psychologists, but our services are not used accordingly.

People like Dr Lim Boon Hui and myself are always ready to serve, but the National Sports Council (MSN) needs to be attentive and not always depend on us to come free of charge.

“We have everything, but it’s all at a superficial stage. We are still not applying sports science even though we know it’s important. If they (MSN) are not sure how to apply it, learn. I’ll give you a situation,” says Balbir.

“The Australian Olympic squad hired me to be their kayak coach for the 1992 Barcelona Games. I didn’t know a single thing about kayak then! What did I do, I studied. I spent one month in the library, studying the technicalities of the game so I will be prepared to motivate my team when the tournament starts.

“Everything has to start from somewhere,” he says.

Balbir’s sentiments are certainly shared by the rest of us, who want nothing but the best for our local sports.

Hopefully in time to come, Balbir’s vision will be a blueprint of success for Malaysian sports!

Source : http://www.freemalaysiatoday.com/cat...ing-mentality/
    Last edited by nokh88; 09-22-2013 at 05:28 AM.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Courtesy of The Star : http://www.thestar.com.my/Sport/Badm...Chong-Wei.aspx

Coaches get instructions, no warning letter for Chong Wei

By RAJES PAUL

KUALA LUMPUR: The national badminton coaches have finally been given clear instructions over their new roles and responsibilities under the new coaching and training structure.

On Saturday, the Badminton Association of Malaysia (BAM) Talent Management Group director Tan Aik Mong spent about two hours briefing all the national coaches at Stadium Juara in Bukit Jalil.

And to ensure that there would be two-way communication, Aik Mong will be meeting all the coaches every fortnight. He will also get daily feedback from Razif Sidek and Hendrawan, who have been put in charge of Team A and Team B.

“I am here to help the coaches. I could not explain to them about all these changes earlier as I was in the midst of putting things into place. The framework is in place now and I have informed all the coaches of our new approaches,” said Aik Mong.

The coaches have been given forms for them to evaluate their players’ performances in training and outline the players’ training and tournament programme. Players would be sent abroad based on coaches’ evaluation.

The coaches have also started their national ranking tournament, which is an ongoing process now.

On Saturday, Aik Mong also said a small team would be sent for the back-to-back Denmark and France Opens next month. Those in the squad are Lee Chong Wei, Liew Daren, Chong Wei Feng, Koo Kien Keat-Tan Boon Heong, Hoon Thien How-Tan Wee Kiong and Chan Peng Soon-Goh Liu Ying.

“Officially, it has been only two weeks since I started my job. Give me time as I slowly put things into place. Once the national team gets moving, I will then be able to focus on the state programmes,” he added.

Meanwhile, the BAM’s support service group general manager Kenny Goh said that the national body had not sent nor had it planned to send any warning letter to world No 1 Lee Chong Wei for standing up for his coach Rashid Sidek, who quit on Thursday.

Said Kenny, in a statement sent to the media: “BAM wish to reiterate to members of the media that at no time was it ever mentioned, of any directive from BAM for any letter of warning to be issued to Lee Chong Wei nor any player on this issue.”

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

And here's what Rashid got to say..

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

so who give the kebenaran?

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    so who give the kebenaran?
    That's a billion dollar question...

maybe altantunya ... Maybe PI Bala or maybe those cows staying inside condo...

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by SibugiChai View Post
    That's a billion dollar question...

maybe altantunya ... Maybe PI Bala or maybe those cows staying inside condo...
    my vote goes to cows who staying inside condo!!!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Greediness is what I can see clearly for Malaysian coaches and players at the moment. IBL, CBSL, Axiata, what's next ? Those contracts issues seems small matters to me. Mahaleel shouldn't bring that up.

But I can't agree more when he said about LCW's predecessors. The ratio of win-lose for players under rashid isn't that impressive to be compared of '10+ experience as a coach'. Honestly, your 10+ years of coaching hasn't been fruitful , Rashid. Getting tired of your **** bro.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by M3Series View Post
    Greediness is what I can see clearly for Malaysian coaches and players at the moment. IBL, CBSL, Axiata, what's next ? Those contracts issues seems small matters to me. Mahaleel shouldn't bring that up.

But I can't agree more when he said about LCW's predecessors. The ratio of win-lose for players under rashid isn't that impressive to be compared of '10+ experience as a coach'. Honestly, your 10+ years of coaching hasn't been fruitful , Rashid. Getting tired of your **** bro.
    It's human nature to want to earn more - labelling coaches as 'greedy' is rather unfair. The leagues are new developments and they throw up new problems - problems that nobody realised. The contract issues are very important. Clarifying what procedure is needed gives clear guidelines to coaches, players and management.

I see coaches being unhappy as they will feel constrained and unused to such constraints. They didnt encounter these experiences as players. However, this is how the world around them is developing as badminton gets bigger and bigger and the stakes get higher. Coaches need to adapt as well. Within change also comes opportunity.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

This is for the benefit of the international badminton community who give a hoot about what’s happening at BAM currently. It is a translation of the Rashid Sidek video interview posted by george@chongwei at Post # 1622 in this thread. I am not a professional translator so accuracy is not guaranteed. I could not hear some words clearly so I just guessed as to the meaning. Numbers on left refer to the time in the video clip.

(Discussion about his resignation from BAM)

0.04 One of the reasons I resigned as coach was that I was not comfortable with the new administration’s way of doing things. My coaching methods are being analyzed, and all the things I was formerly able to do when coaching the players are now being restricted. This gives me much concern and affects how I do my job. So, I had to resign. I think this is the best way to deal with the situation.

1:01 The way they treat the coaches is as if we are inexperienced and just entered the coaching field when in reality we are experienced coaches. I have been coaching for more than ten years and there are others with, for example, 13 years, 11 years, or 5 years of coaching experience. It was difficult for them to accept the viewpoints which we presented to them. They proceeded to do things their way and to them, their way is the best way.

1:40 Even though there was “open talk”and they listened to our points of view, they were sure of their position and sure of what needed to be done. I could see that the players could not focus and more so, the coaches also could not focus. So, how long can this carry on? It is sure to have an effect because they have made a very drastic change.

(Discussion about his contract with the Indian Badminton League team)

2:18 Before they make any accusations, they should look into the matter and see if there is any truth to my having signed a one-year contract. The accusations are based on “Hey, look, I have this article that says you signed a one-year contract.” If they had objected, I would not have gone. If they had not approved it, I really would not have gone. There were Malaysian players in my team too. So indirectly, I was also coaching my players. We have good communication between Malaysia and India and between the associations. So that is a good platform to start with and it is our duty to support them. If in the future we want to start a league like that too, they would support us too.

3:28 Everybody knew I went there. All of Malaysia knew. It was on live TV. Even if I wanted to hide it, everyone knew. I have to request permission to go there. If I did not request permission, I wouldn’t dare go there secretly. I have to protect my livelihood. I would not make a rash decision that affects my livelihood. Of course there was permission given. You see, I do not need to pin point this or pin point that. I am sure permission was already given. And I was not going there for a year. If I was going there for a year, I would not be here now. I would be in India. It was only for that short duration and it is finished. So have some common sense. I have been coaching for ten years and I would not do something inappropriate. According to me, if my actions were truly wrong, when I returned from India, they would have suspended me. (I am not sure if RS meant suspended, disciplined or fired, because it sounds like the literal translation would be “they would have hanged me”) They would have said that what I did was wrong and was a violation of my work obligations to have two contracts. It would have been wrong for me to work under two contracts. But when I returned, there were no problems. However, when I resigned, this problem came up. Why?

(Future plans and sentiments)

5:18 Right now, I do not have any definite plans. Just relax for now. Next month, I will contemplate what my next steps will be. I want to mention that my decision is final. I have nothing personal against anyone. It was my decision and there were no outside influences. No one told me to resign. This was solely my decision with no external influences. My life has been in badminton and my job has been a badminton coach. So it is with more or less some sadness that I now leave and a certain sense of loss because badminton is my life - first as a player and then a coach. So I do feel some sadness but my decision was carefully considered and I discussed it with all my family and they all agree I should resign.

(Message for players)

7:00 To all the players at BAM - I wish you all great success and train hard! Do not be distracted by the current situation which has befallen me. It is most important for you to focus on your training and your future tournaments.

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Thanks for the translation. As mentioned by me before, how could Kenny Goh deny knowing players and coaches would go to the IBL?

At least that interview confirms that Rashid left of his own accord and seemingly, the changes that Rashid could not tolerate are applicable to all coaches.

Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    Thanks for the translation. As mentioned by me before, how could Kenny Goh deny knowing players and coaches would go to the IBL?

At least that interview confirms that Rashid left of his own accord and seemingly, the changes that Rashid could not tolerate are applicable to all coaches.
    nadzmi nadzmi nadzmi

Mentioned
    34 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by limsy View Post
    nadzmi nadzmi nadzmi
    I am not saying anything but Kenny Goh is looking rather foolish and makes his new management team look the same. Ultimately, Kenny Goh has to give an explanation that is believable to the public. After all, he is general manager.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by Cheung View Post
    The contract issues are very important. Clarifying what procedure is needed gives clear guidelines to coaches, players and management.
    In my opinion it's not a big issues because it was given clearance when it was Nadzmi's reign. Mahaleel just took the reign and he shouldn't be mentioning it. In fact, whatever changes he made today, it's not going to be fruitful tomorrow. Rome isn't made in days. It seems to me this is rather not a good point to say about Rashid's resignation. He should be mentioning more about what achievement has Rashid got so far with his experience as a coach. If Rashid's method really works like he said, then why are we still couldn't see any of his players make it through like CW did.

This issue has made me think Mahaleel isn't that different from Nadzmi. Bigger issues are waiting to be solved and looked at. Rashid's gone. It's a good thing. Why still talk about it?